IGNORED

Food For Thought

Nibor

He's right.

In England the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea effectively work to the detriment of the national team and the Premier League really isn't interested in it.

This would be an anathema in Germany, even Bayern (by far the biggest club) work to produce numerous players for the national team.

He may well be right, but I found the style of writing in the article to be patronising and farcical.

In order to get his point across, he'll have to move back into the realms of the real world rather than exaggerating. I do realise that this is an attempt at humour on his part, but I just found it irritating and condescending.

The FA are incompetent and full of self interest. The Wembley debacle shows this.

However, while its very easy to lay the blame on the door of the FA, and call to copy the latest international trailblazer (since the 90's we have been told to adopt the Dutch, Spanish and now Germans) we don't really ever look to blame ourselves.

Young English players demand money far in excess of their value, and as soon as these talented young men get a sniff of first team football, they either snub the under 21s or get plucked from that level to play in meaningless friendlies.

The sheeple still turn up in their droves, clapping like seals as the England team go through the motions. Never really questioning, just accepting.

Only a total financial collapse of the prem, or a breakaway of the big 5/6 to a European Super league would create an environment for English players toake the majority of the English top division, but I do fear that because of EU rules, there will always be cheaper talent available.

Problems within English football are very deep rooted and it does stem from society.

Players are paid so well, there's no need to move abroad or experience footballing life outside of England.

There's no true footballing philosophy behind our national team. Tactics and style seem to vary from game to game and lack any sort of consistency, going as far back as the end of the Hoddle years.

The country as a whole seems to enjoy the team's failure. I've said on many occasions this year that the only underdog not supported by Englishmen were the English national team. As a whole, the national team has become the face of what is wrong with football at the moment. Fans aren't afraid to announce that they don't support our national team and that they don't like what the England team represents.

Things are going to take a very long time to change.

I would like to see a shift in the way the England team is managed. Decide upon a style of play and a proper footballing philosophy. Then, pick the best players for the positions within that philosophy. If the best player for a certain position is playing in the Championship, play him. Ignore reputations, pick based on ability and fit within a system.

Comparing football to American Football makes sense here. Head Coaches are renowned for different styles of play and attract players suited to their philosophy. In Philadelphia, their head coach has lists of physical attributes needed for each position including height, weight, speed and even hand span. Players are then matched to those criteria. Good players are ignored by the team because they don't fit what the team is looking for and don't match the philosophy.

Under the previous coach, having signed star name players the team finished with the 4th worst record in the NFL. In the first season, with a new philosophy and some lesser named players, the team won their division and went to the play offs.

Does anyone know what style of play Roy Hodgson really wants to play? Are we a counter attacking team? Do we want to use width? Are we trying to be more direct? Does Roy even know?

The England team needs to be given direction. They need a goal to work towards and a clear footballing philosophy. More than anything, they need the support of the nation. This will only happen when the nations sees meaningful change in the philosophy of the team. This will happen in two ways. Either the England team give us a performance to be proud of in Euro 2016, or any upcoming tournament. Or, the English finally get to host a World Cup. The Olympics captured and rekindled a love for the Team GB athletes, creating a sense of pride to be British. Hosting an English World Cup would do the same.

Any kind of success remains a very long way off. The English need to truly understand this and change their approach to all aspects of the national football team.

Our national team is the joke of world football of this we can all be assured. Unlike the Spanish, Italians and Portuguese that all foundered in this World Cup we have been consistently crap for 48 years while they have all achieved something

The reasons are many and some of them are alluded to by the reporter, however the FA, The Premier League and the richest clubs in England only tell a combined story since the early 90s!

Yes the state of our national team is a product of our obsession with instant profit as a nation and the utter greed of the FA and a societal problem as we have as a society become increasingly self absorbed and personal wealth driven. However the underlying problems are, we are just not very good and have the mental strength of a pin head!

Watch 31 of 32 teams in the World Cup and you will notice the players are comfortable on the ball and will pass it around even when space is limited rarely losing possession when under pressure. Also if the team goes a goal down, all is not lost heads don't drop and the specter of defeat is not in the eyes of the players, if the opposition get one the attitude is we can get one back.

Not us though. We are scared to win, scared to lose have limited basic ability on the ball and simply have no one that wants it! Yes lack of basic ability and fear permeates our society and our team and couple this with the ridiculous wages our players earn for such mediocrity and VOILA we reap what we sow! John Terry must have laughed his cock off this summer and he is as much a part of the problem than anyone!

He may well be right, but I found the style of writing in the article to be patronising and farcical.

In order to get his point across, he'll have to move back into the realms of the real world rather than exaggerating. I do realise that this is an attempt at humour on his part, but I just found it irritating and condescending.

So did I - a comedian he ain't.

As long as the obscene amounts of money flows into the Prem our top division will be filled with Johnny Foreigners leaving little room for the young English player. The best they can hope for is a loan to a lower division. That creates another problem.

It used to be that when a left back was injured we'd have to stick a youngster in and see how he got on - now we (and everyone else) loans a Nicky Shorey.

When the Premier League is making the money it does, it is in a position of absolute power.
The FA is supposed to oversee the game in this country, but in reality, it's hands are tied by the power the PL has.

Whilst the commercial power base stays the same, the tail will always wag the dog.

The PL does what's best for itself, end of (mostly engineered by a Bristol City Fan!!)

The FA are incompetent and full of self interest. The Wembley debacle shows this.

However, while its very easy to lay the blame on the door of the FA, and call to copy the latest international trailblazer (since the 90's we have been told to adopt the Dutch, Spanish and now Germans) we don't really ever look to blame ourselves.

Young English players demand money far in excess of their value, and as soon as these talented young men get a sniff of first team football.

Hello mate.

Although 'copying' as such wouldn't work, due to the ever-evolving nature of world football, there's no doubt in my mind English football could learn a lot from Germany, in particular.

Firstly and obviously, club and country is synchronised. Not going to happen here any time soon.

What I do like about the German set-up, is the 99.9% of young aspiring lads who don't make it, haven't wasted their years in apprentice as the clubs secure the boys future through on-going education/along side the football.

Yes, Germany has a larger population and don't spread their sportsmen around cricket and rugby as well, but my theory is, parents are more likely to give their bright, young sons a chance in football because they're reassured that, in the likely eventuality they don't make it, their kids can easily redirect their careers.

For whatever reason, the ability of our youth pool isn't making it to International level and it's not because we're inately inferior to the Germans, imo.

Hello mate.

Although 'copying' as such wouldn't work, due to the ever-evolving nature of world football, there's no doubt in my mind English football could learn a lot from Germany, in particular.

Firstly and obviously, club and country is synchronised. Not going to happen here any time soon.

What I do like about the German set-up, is the 99.9% of young aspiring lads who don't make it, haven't wasted their years in apprentice as the clubs secure the boys future through on-going education/along side the football.

Yes, Germany has a larger population and don't spread their sportsmen around cricket and rugby as well, but my theory is, parents are more likely to give their bright, young sons a chance in football because they're reassured that, in the likely eventuality they don't make it, their kids can easily redirect their careers.

For whatever reason, the ability of our youth pool isn't making it to International level and it's not because we're inately inferior to the Germans, imo.

Maybe because of continued education the Germans are more intelligent off the field and therefore more intelligent on it than their English counterparts.

Maybe because of continued education the Germans are more intelligent off the field and therefore more intelligent on it than their English counterparts.

Didn't want to say it but my suspision is, Germany are encouraging more intelligent footballers who then go on to become fit for International football than we are. I suspect, for example, it isn't cliche to view footballers as thick in Germany, like it is here.

There's a fantastic Guardian article I'll post tomorrow when on a PC re the German approach. Published 3 or 4 years ago.

Re-reading your post, it appears we're debating the chicken and egg scenario.

Archived