IGNORED

Steve Bartman

handsofclay

I watched most of an interesting documentary last night on BT Sport about this character. For those of you who did not here are the nuts and bolts:

In 2003 the Chicago Cubs had a great opportunity to reach the World Series for the 1st time since, I think, 1945. They were 3-2 up in the 7 game play-off v the Marlins and in the 6th game were 3-0 up in the 8th inning with the Marlins having had one out in that inning when a foul ball was heading for the crowd. Several spectators reached out to catch it but unknown to them a Cubs fielder was making a valiant attempt to catch it beneath them. Indeed, it seems he would have caught it had not Bartman's hand in the crowd deflected it from its path into the fielder's glove. Instead of obtaining the 2nd out of the inning the Cubs then went to pieces and the Marlins scored 8 runs that inning to win the match 8-3 and tie the series.

The following night the Marlins won the decider also played at Wrigley Field.

Due to live tv coverage, the fan who'd cost the Cubs the game was highlighted and the scenes became pretty ugly in the stadium with objects being thrown at him and one chap even approaching him and throwing his beer over him. About 40,000 people were directing a chant at him to the effect that he resembled a certain part of the anatomy where the sun doesn't shine and security had to get him out and sneak him away from the stadium where thousands were waiting to get him outside.

The following day tv and newspapers identified him as Steve Bartman and from that day to this he has remained in hiding. He has apologised for his actions and has turned down 6 figure offers to tell his story. He has totally reorganized his life so that he avoids crowds (rumour has it that he possesses a season ticket at the Rovers).

Bartman was a scapegoat as other things happened that 2003 night such as a singer in the interval before the 7th inning getting the crowd to sing that they were the champs etc and a fielder fluffing an easy chance

To get a double play. Yet it was the poor fan who got it in the neck.

My question is this: Have you ever blamed a fellow City fan for a City defeat or a draw that would've been a victory had it not been for the fan's intervention. For that matter have you ever been convinced that the actions of a rival fan or fans have contributed to City gaining more than seemed likely at that point from a match?

Steve Bartman was 26 when it happened. Apparently he was a very friendly chap and a great coach of a baseball club in his area. All the players of that club showed their support for him by taking to the Chicago streets with banners proclaiming him to be a lovely bloke who must be heartbroken that he'd possibly cost his beloved Cubs the chance to appear in the World Series. But the death threats etc meant he had to go into hiding and pack up the coaching.

Actually, he is one of the few Chicago Cubs fans in that 40,000 crowd to actually emerge with credit from the incident. In the 11 years since it occurred he has not sought to profit from his story despite megabuck offers and has still not come out of hiding despite the majority of Cubs fans saying that they are sorry for the way he was treated in 2003 (the most popular trick or treat costume in Chicago that year was a Bartman look, a cap, specs and walkman headphones) but I guess he won't reveal himself for fear that there are still a few Cubs fans who harbour grudges.

Incidentally, as you see in the clip he didn't even catch the ball. He diverted it into the path of another fan who pocketed it and sold it soon after for $100,000. That fan received no flak at all. Virtually all spectators at baseball TRY to catch the ball when it appears to be heading for the stands. There but for the grace of God and all that.

Steve Bartman was 26 when it happened. Apparently he was a very friendly chap and a great coach of a baseball club in his area. All the players of that club showed their support for him by taking to the Chicago streets with banners proclaiming him to be a lovely bloke who must be heartbroken that he'd possibly cost his beloved Cubs the chance to appear in the World Series. But the death threats etc meant he had to go into hiding and pack up the coaching.

Actually, he is one of the few Chicago Cubs fans in that 40,000 crowd to actually emerge with credit from the incident. In the 11 years since it occurred he has not sought to profit from his story despite megabuck offers and has still not come out of hiding despite the majority of Cubs fans saying that they are sorry for the way he was treated in 2003 (the most popular trick or treat costume in Chicago that year was a Bartman look, a cap, specs and walkman headphones) but I guess he won't reveal himself for fear that there are still a few Cubs fans who harbour grudges.

Incidentally, as you see in the clip he didn't even catch the ball. He diverted it into the path of another fan who pocketed it and sold it soon after for $100,000. That fan received no flak at all. Virtually all spectators at baseball TRY to catch the ball when it appears to be heading for the stands. There but for the grace of God and all that.

And that fan was a lawyer!

As a long-time resident of the City, I know a little about Mr Bartram and a little more about the total ineptitude of the Chicago Cubs organization.

Mr Bartram has remained silent and at no time has courted media and has turned down huge money offers for his story. The Chicago Cubs have continued to suck ass (as they say locally)consistently and have embraced their scapegoat for their failurewith open arms!!

As for City, I think its fair to say I blame myself for defeats if I do not follow match day traditions....Also for those who take part in matchday chat, not Yoda(ring) when required!

As a long-time resident of the City, I know a little about Mr Bartram and a little more about the total ineptitude of the Chicago Cubs organization.

Mr Bartram has remained silent and at no time has courted media and has turned down huge money offers for his story. The Chicago Cubs have continued to suck ass (as they say locally)consistently and have embraced their scapegoat for their failurewith open arms!!

I can't wait until they squander the assets of the latest rebuilding attempt.

I've never caught a ball at the baseball, but I was three seats across from a young girl who took a line drive to the face. If that happened over here, they'd have put up fences by now.

I've watched nearly all of the ESPN 30 for 30 documentaries. They are fantastic. Even if you are not into American sports I can guarantee that they will interest you. There is one called "Big Shot" about a guy who managed to buy an Ice Hockey team in the NHL even though he didn't have the money. He lived the life for a year whilst somehow avoiding coming up with the cash. They have also have made one about the hillsborough disaster which has been shown in America but can't be shown here yet because the investigation is still ongoing.

I follow a number of Chicago cubs fans and they still haven't forgiven Steve Bartman. There are rumours he's moved to England to escape the hate. Sad really

Yes, thenight's docs have been great and I will look out for the NHI also seen the one about the Holmes v Ali 'fight' in 1980 in which it was admitted that when Ali underwent a thorough medical examination to appease the critics of the proposed bout the results were doctored so that he was given a clean bill of health. In reality the neurologists were highlighting all sorts of conditions that Ali was showing signs of suffering from and the fact his reflexes were slow as a result.

In last night's doc there was a little bit about Bill Buckner, I think that was his name, whose fielding mistake cost the Red Sox victory in the 1986 World Series. He too was much vilified, though not like Bartman, as Boston had not won anything since Babe Ruth joined the Yankees in 1919. However, now they've twice won the World Series in this century all has been forgiven and Buckner was invited to throw the first pitch of a recent season at Fenway Park. He had declined a previous invite to allow the Red Sox fans the chance to display their apologies as he was rather miffed but eventually let bygones be bygones and turned up, tearfully, the next time he was invited.

Archived