IGNORED

Del Boy

sglosbcfc

Yes....'that is all'. He has hardly had to conquer mountains to get there. Credit where it's due but the likes of St Johnstone have got through as well. It's a qualification process and he hasn't qualified yet. Hats off to him for last nights result but as Bristol City fans are we not allowed to comment on anything unless we have ex staff that are doing well in said topic? You know as well as I do Scottish football is completely different.

Yes credit where it's due, he did an excellent job at St Johnstone and so far has done an excellent job at Aberdeen who I would class as a similar sized club to us - indeed some people would class them as a bigger club than us given their historical achievements. The only blot on his record so far is us...I think part of the reason for these threads is there is a bit of curiosity as to why that is the case.

For one, as I think has been publicised since his time at the club the scouting system was very poor when he was here...then there was the boardroom at the time...

yes but of course he has found his level ...... (european football) and would never be successful at the top.

Seriously though, he made mistakes here as with any manager learning their trade, it looks like he may have learned from his experience here, he must be on the radar of several of the larger teams I would imagine.

Those mistakes pretty much got us relegated, now why we still care about you can bet he couldn't care less

Nice bloke, I'm sure, and young enough to bounce back and have a good career.  And fair play to him for doing well in Scotland, though the SPL is as weak as it has ever been just now, though you can only beat what is in front of you. 

Doesn't stop him having made the sort of errors while in charge here that led us to look absolutely shocking by the time he (quite rightly) got the boot.

He failed here, like many others have; his success in Scotland doesn't change that.

Those mistakes pretty much got us relegated, now why we still care about you can bet he couldn't care less

Bit of an exaggeration, it was only the 2nd week in January.

If Del had stayed we may well still have been relegated, but:

A) Don't forget when the beyond dreadful SO'D came in we still had fully 60 points to play for.

B) Several long standing underperformers had played their last game for City under Del after the Leicester capitulation. Del made it quite clear post match that several who had let him down - yet again - would be replaced by younger players from then on in. Several of these players then got a 'clean slate' under SO'D and continued to let down all connected with the club.

C) We couldn't possibly have gone down showing less fight than the pitifully embarrassing and gutless displays when it really mattered from O'Driscoll's team.

D) Del had kept City up previously and may well have done again.

E) The board seemed to have accepted relegation anyway - there seemed no pressure on SO'D whatsoever to avoid it - so would we have been in a better position to consolidate in L1, or even bounce back, under a manager who had gained vital experience, who knew exactly which players could be counted on, and had already made big inroads into clearing the dead wood?

In retrospect of course, no doubt about it, and it was very much a panic decision by a board who could have shown alot more support, and quite possibly have reaped the benefit.

Bit of an exaggeration, it was only the 2nd week in January.

If Del had stayed we may well still have been relegated, but:

A) Don't forget when the beyond dreadful SO'D came in we still had fully 60 points to play for.

B) Several long standing underperformers had played their last game for City under Del after the Leicester capitulation. Del made it quite clear post match that several who had let him down - yet again - would be replaced by younger players from then on in. Several of these players then got a 'clean slate' under SO'D and continued to let down all connected with the club.

C) We couldn't possibly have gone down showing less fight than the pitifully embarrassing and gutless displays when it really mattered from O'Driscoll's team.

D) Del had kept City up previously and may well have done again.

E) The board seemed to have accepted relegation anyway - there seemed no pressure on SO'D whatsoever to avoid it - so would we have been in a better position to consolidate in L1, or even bounce back, under a manager who had gained vital experience, who knew exactly which players could be counted on, and had already made big inroads into clearing the dead wood?

In retrospect of course, no doubt about it, and it was very much a panic decision by a board who could have shown alot more support, and quite possibly have reaped the benefit.

Though it is fair to say we could have stayed up under Del, it is far from an exaggeration to say we were playing much, much worse rather than better a year after his appointment, which (for me at least) did not fill me with confidence that he could turn it around, considering he'd had both time with the team and the opportunity to bring in his own players (two January windows and a summer).

As for players never plying again after the Foxes' capitulation; that is speculation.  Del was(is) very good with the press, and being that the team that day was mainly made up of his singings/players he'd lent on, I feel those statements were just angry words.  Plus, his chopping-and-changing did little to improve us the many matches before; we looked awful in previous matches too, a few personnel alterations was clearly not the answer.

His tenure is clearly a polarising issue with fans.  Personally, I feel strongly that his time was firmly up; he'd had the unfortunate scenario of having to cut costs, but had signed several players of impressive pedigree, and had time on his side in terms of developing an approach for the side, time I personally feel he squandered through his 'fluid' selection/formation policy.

It is a shame his successor was not successful, but we're past both now.

Ultimately, Del with have a good career and I wish him well, but he did a undeniably bad job here, with his contribution to our relegation season not something that can be reasonably denied.  He'll be back to England sometime (unless Rangers snap him up) and do well, I'm sure.

yes but of course he has found his level ...... (european football) and would never be successful at the top. 

Seriously though, he made mistakes here as with any manager learning their trade, it looks like he may have learned from his experience here, he must be on the radar of several of the larger teams I would imagine.

I think this is pretty much spot on. McInnes was still fairly new to management when he came to us and had never managed outside Scotland.

Mistakes were made, but the guy always struck me as intelligent and thoughtful and I think he could learn from them and move on as a better manager.

It was just unfortunate that we provided the "school of hard knocks" part of his career   :wacko:

Can't say much more than well done Derek and I hope you get to the knock-out stages.

Aberdeen are in the knock out stages, they are desperate to get to the group stages where they can make some serious money (well by Scottish league standards anyway).

Archived