IGNORED

Dave L Next Saturdays Friendly?

YourMyMartinKuhl

The thing I find odd pre-season is geared up so the team are ready for game 1, but will not playing for the next 11 days be a hinderance or provided rest at a key time?

Thing is, starting with Sheffield United we play five games in 14 days, so having just played three in eight, it is probably good to to get the rest into them.

I'm happy we've a long gap; might get Osborne fighting-fit, and means a little more time to analyse the previous performances, in order to best set the team up for match day one.

Edit: Nice thing is of those first five games, the middle trio are at home.  Will mean the team aren't off-and-on the bus every few days early doors, which can't be a bad thing.

I'm certain that a championship or prem team could be persuaded to send a representative team to Failand for a full scale friendly game behind closed doors.

There were a number of such games during last season.

Doubt that it would be made public to avoid fans trying to get to watch it.

Bring back the old Gloucester Cup Final v The G*s as a pre-season friendly. Any game v them has an edge, semi-decent crowd guaranteed..used to like that fixture.

Anyone remember the 'League Group Cup' which was some kind of pre-season competition around '82, I think we played Newport & Torquay, the match programme covered both games, can't remember the details of the competition...maybe somebody remembers more....

This competition was called the football league trophy and it was played during pre season it may have been a early

version of the JPT city we're in a group of four which consisted of Exeter Newport and Torquay results we're

Exeter A lost 2-1 Torquay H won 1-0 and Newport H lost 4-1 therefor going out in the group stage

I don't think there was that much interest in it anyway as the final was between Lincoln and millwall think Lincoln won 3-2

Nah..... its just getting closer too the season... so all the bitching and slaging off the club will return..........

I suggest you watch SCs interview from last night...doesn't exactly look pleased with the situation himself. He wanted a game this weekend, and hasn't got one. Playing ourselves in a game on the training ground is a touch embarrassing.

Is it that time of the month?

That is a really funny response.  The last time I heard that one I laughed so hard I nearly fell off my dinosaur. 

I also think it is farcical that we don't have a competitive friendly the week before the season starts.  Time will tell how significant it is though.

Not bothered. Unless we get a European team - Ajax, Antwerp, even as far back as Mallorca and Moenchengladbach I have nil interest in pre season friendlies. Also there is almost no correlation (it seems to me) between friendlies and performances in and form when the season kicks off.

Let's be honest it's another feck up by the club. No friendly arranged for the weekend before the season starts despite weeks of notice?? Poor I'm afraid.

I suppose the flip side of this is that the club weren't to know the state of the pitch and building work situation. I guess big club friendlies are arranged months and months before so most clubs would have been committed long ago.

It is a lost opportunity that the first time the players get to play properly on the new pitch will be in our first home game. Also the chance to try out access for the crowd, all be it a small crowd, would have been useful too.

It does make me a little nervous comparing our pre-season fixtures to Sheff United's. While I think the Botswana tour was a big positive, since coming back we will have played a L2 club and a training match amongst ourselves. In comparison United will have played Huddersfield (Championship) and Fenerbache, a huge club who play in the champions league every year. 

I know nothing is won or lost in pre-season, but you can't argue that they have tested themselves against higher quality opposition.

It does make me a little nervous comparing our pre-season fixtures to Sheff United's. While I think the Botswana tour was a big positive, since coming back we will have played a L2 club and a training match amongst ourselves. In comparison United will have played Huddersfield (Championship) and Fenerbache, a huge club who play in the champions league every year. 

I know nothing is won or lost in pre-season, but you can't argue that they have tested themselves against higher quality opposition.

This is a slight concern also. 

Those are good tests.

But you can have the best or worst preseason ever; can mean little when the rubber meets the road.

Those are good tests.

But you can have the best or worst preseason ever; can mean little when the rubber meets the road.

Very true. But surely you would learn more about your players/tactics when testing them against opposition at a similar or higher level to teams you will be playing when the season kicks off

Very true. But surely you would learn more about your players/tactics when testing them against opposition at a similar or higher level to teams you will be playing when the season kicks off

Which always makes me wonder why higher league teams agree to friendlies with lower league opposition..........

Yeah, you've a good point, but then in the same way we think playing Botswana might be 'below us', then playing Man U or Chelsea might illicit the same response for them, despite the fact in both cases the less fancied team will be going for it hammer and tongs, thus making it a stern test.

Which always makes me wonder why higher league teams agree to friendlies with lower league opposition..........

You again make a good point.

Personally, I'd rather see us play an ambitious League Two team at full strength than a relegation candidate from the Premier League who'll not be fielding their best side.

You want a work out, and for players to play what is in front of them, and to City's credit it does look like we've 'gone' for the opposition in the games we've played, whether that means beating them 5-1 or 1-0.

As long as the team is building fitness and understanding between them, then they'll be getting prepared.

No doubt that another pre season game would be the ideal preperation, but if that is not to be, then it will be interesting to see if actually having a bit of a break before the Big KO proves to be a benefit.

Players work very hard (or at least they should!) in pre season and you often find players being a little bit burned out for the first couple of games or go into it having picked up niggly injuries during their pre season prep work.

Osbourne aside, since Sammy has shaken off his initial strain, I don't recall us having picked up and injuries and a full 10 days of training, ball work and tactical prep might just prove to serve us well - hopefully!

It will be interesting to see the effect that it has after the first hectic week of the season.

No doubt that another pre season game would be the ideal preperation, but if that is not to be, then it will be interesting to see if actually having a bit of a break before the Big KO proves to be a benefit.

Players work very hard (or at least they should!) in pre season and you often find players being a little bit burned out for the first couple of games or go into it having picked up niggly injuries during their pre season prep work.

Osbourne aside, since Sammy has shaken off his initial strain, I don't recall us having picked up and injuries and a full 10 days of training, ball work and tactical prep might just prove to serve us well - hopefully!

It will be interesting to see the effect that it has after the first hectic week of the season.

they will still have a training match between the players where all will be going hammer and tongs to try and impress SC enough to get into the starting line up, so its not all bad,

I don't really think its a cock up from the club to be honest as we did have a home match against Dundee arranged but had to cancel due to the brand new pitch not being ready on time, friendlys normally ger aranged feb or march perhaps earlier so its hard to sort somthing out at the last minute,

We've still had 5 friendlys against a degree of different sides with different abilitys so if the players are match fit and work as a unit then we should be happy, (some of the football on show against cheltenham was good but we are still suspect at the back)

Archived