IGNORED

100 Years Ago This Evening

Forza Revolution

Germany declared war on France. Tomorrow marks 100 years since the start of the First World War. Lest We Forget.

2nd that FR,  what those poor guys gave is incredible, went to Ypres some years back and brings you to tears walking around the many cemeteries!

these guys were so young, so patriotic (and so naive), the least we can do is remember them, as long as I live I will never forget them - heroes like we'll never see again!

2nd that FR,  what those poor guys gave is incredible, went to Ypres some years back and brings you to tears walking around the many cemeteries!

these guys were so young, so patriotic (and so naive), the least we can do is remember them, as long as I live I will never forget them - heroes like we'll never see again!

My Great Great Uncle was not so young - he was 34 - and he died from his wounds the next day after leading a charge at Delville Wood in 1916.....

1280px-Delville_Wood_Battle_July_1916.jp

I shall bump this back up.

Should never ever be forgotten.  Guys back then died for the rights of those today, even if the actions of many today would make many of these brave soldiers turn in their graves,  The deserve the respect and remembrance that is due from all age groups

I think it is incredible that the soldiers in this war stopped shooting, shelling and gassing each other (against orders) to have a game of football.

truce-football.jpg

And went back to killing each other the next day.....that makes the whole thing even sadder for me

Gawd bless them all

It was such a futile waste of lives.

Men living like rats in waterfilled trenches,occasionally going "over the top " to risk their lives for a few yards of "no man's land".

What stupidity and callous disregard for the "cannon fodder" shown by the ruling classes.

No war is good but WTF !

I'm not usually one for arguing a case for the ruling classes but it was the sons of the ruling classes that bore the brunt of the casualties in World War 1 (proportionally). I understand that German snipers were ordered to target the junior officers in the hope that the soldiers they led would mutiny with no leadership. Go to any English Public School in the land and see the horrendously long list on plaques of all the old boys killed during World War 1. My own Great Great Uncle was one of those officer casualties and he attended Marlborough College Public School.

Sometimes I find seeing the crowds at football matches helps bring some perspective to the sheer scale of the war. Over 19,000 were killed on the first day of the Somme alone.... that's similar numbers to a full house at Ashton Gate. Next big crowd look around at all those faces... all those people wiped out in only one day.

RIP

What makes this war so sad is that the lads going out there thought it was a big adventure. Thing is, none of the boys went abroad, if they did it was very rare in those days. And to go abroad with their friends which they thought was great!

I'll never forget for what these men and women did. I salute you all!

RIP

I'm not usually one for arguing a case for the ruling classes but it was the sons of the ruling classes that bore the brunt of the casualties in World War 1 (proportionally). I understand that German snipers were ordered to target the junior officers in the hope that the soldiers they led would mutiny with no leadership. Go to any English Public School in the land and see the horrendously long list on plaques of all the old boys killed during World War 1. My own Great Great Uncle was one of those officer casualties and he attended Marlborough College Public School.

indeed there, gobbers. Was only hearing about the old Cliftonian AEJ Collins, who achieved the highest innings total of all time - later to be sacrificed in the Great War.

It was said that boys from privileged backgrounds had the idea installed in them that with privilege comes responsibility and public schools served as a breeding ground for the military.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._E._J._Collins - not a great source but a starting place if you want to read more

It's the idea of sending 1000's of lads, upright, into no mans land that grates me - like lambs to the slaughter.

R.I.P courageous souls

indeed there, gobbers. Was only hearing about the old Cliftonian AEJ Collins, who achieved the highest innings total of all time - later to be sacrificed in the Great War.

It was said that boys from privileged backgrounds had the idea installed in them that with privilege comes responsibility and public schools served as a breeding ground for the military.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._E._J._Collins - not a great source but a starting place if you want to read more

It's the idea of sending 1000's of lads, upright, into no mans land that grates me - like lambs to the slaughter.

R.I.P courageous souls

To put it into perspective with regard to my Great Great Uncle's School - Marlborough College - 749 former pupils gave their lives in World War I. After Marlborough College, he attended Cambridge University's Trinity College - the death toll in World War 1 from that University is equally as horrendous. As is often said of that war, it wiped out the flower of a whole generation of Englishmen. We can count ourselves very lucky that we were born long after the end of World War 1.

Archived