IGNORED

Joe Morrell

dargla

He's only 17!! he has realistically another 3-4 years before he makes it in the first team

Surely when he's good enough, he will be old enough. whether that's at 17, 18, 19 or 20.

Surely when he's good enough, he will be old enough. whether that's at 17, 18, 19 or 20.

Exactly, if he isn't good enough at 17 18 19 then the chances are he never will be.  If they have real talent then they should be getting in the team at very least 15-20 mins sub appearances.  He could already be good enough, but certain mangers hold talent back (this is not a go at Cotterill, this is a generalisation)  So end up leaving and going to places like Crewe where talent is given a chance to blosom

Exactly, if he isn't good enough at 17 18 19 then the chances are he never will be.  If they have real talent then they should be getting in the team at very least 15-20 mins sub appearances.  He could already be good enough, but certain mangers hold talent back (this is not a go at Cotterill, this is a generalisation)  So end up leaving and going to places like Crewe where talent is given a chance to blosom

Bobby Reid only broke through to the first team at the age of 20 last season. Players develop at different rates.

I have high hopes for Morrell, he's highly regarded and it seems like he and his family have a sensible head, opting to stay at City ahead of Liverpool. Hopefully he'll feature at times this season, but he's still very young. CM is one of our strongest positions also. I'm sure he'll break through when the time is right, whether it be this year or next.

I can see him learning a lot from someone like Wade Elliott when he's around first team training.

That's just absolutely not true, players develop at different paces, it's as simple as that.

Exactly, if he isn't good enough at 17 18 19 then the chances are he never will be. If they have real talent then they should be getting in the team at very least 15-20 mins sub appearances. He could already be good enough, but certain mangers hold talent back (this is not a go at Cotterill, this is a generalisation) So end up leaving and going to places like Crewe where talent is given a chance to blosom

Rubbish.. Common denominator with players like wickham, Rooney, Barkley breaking through at 16/17? They've all got their fully grown bodies. Morrell, Reid, burns, Bryan etc haven't yet.. Hence why none are quite ready for first team

Exactly, if he isn't good enough at 17 18 19 then the chances are he never will be. If they have real talent then they should be getting in the team at very least 15-20 mins sub appearances. He could already be good enough, but certain mangers hold talent back (this is not a go at Cotterill, this is a generalisation) So end up leaving and going to places like Crewe where talent is given a chance to blosom

Yep, cos Gareth Bale was definitely a world class player at the age of 17.... Didn't even get a look in until he moved to left mid at 21! Players keep on developing! He may not be good enough now but by the age of 21 he could well be our best player! Who knows?

Players develop and grow at all different ages. Your ready when your ready,it's as simple as that.

We have this strange idea in this country that you must break through into 1st teams at a young age,why I don't know.

Most players don't play their best football until the late 20's,that when they have learnt more about the game and have more experience.

Throwing players in at a young age when they haven't really learnt the game is to their detriment imo.

For those of you saying rubbish and going on about world class.  It matters not, most that develop later do so because they haven't been able to break through and have moved on to a different team where they have been given the chance, played and then moved backup.

The Garath Bale one, well he payed a coupe of time as t 16, then was a regular at 17 before being sold to Tottenham, where they had better players in his position.

I am sorry, you don't just become a talent once you get to 19 20 21, you have that talent, yes players grow, and in terms of the physical side of things they will become better, but to suggest physically has anything to do with talent is absurd, it helps them stand up to the physicality, but that is is, nowt to do with Talent, what other way are youngsters going to come to terms with it if left in the stiffs until their 20's.  They should be getting game time with experienced pros in the first team.

I know the arguments about burn out and injury yadda yadda yadda, but I am not suggesting 90 minutes every week for 50 matches a season.  I am on about decent run outs from the bench slowly building up to the odd start, proper progression instead of, oh well you are 22 you have filled out, get in the team!

For those of you saying rubbish and going on about world class.  It matters not, most that develop later do so because they haven't been able to break through and have moved on to a different team where they have been given the chance, played and then moved backup.

The Garath Bale one, well he payed a coupe of time as t 16, then was a regular at 17 before being sold to Tottenham, where they had better players in his position.

I am sorry, you don't just become a talent once you get to 19 20 21, you have that talent, yes players grow, and in terms of the physical side of things they will become better, but to suggest physically has anything to do with talent is absurd, it helps them stand up to the physicality, but that is is, nowt to do with Talent, what other way are youngsters going to come to terms with it if left in the stiffs until their 20's.  They should be getting game time with experienced pros in the first team.

I know the arguments about burn out and injury yadda yadda yadda, but I am not suggesting 90 minutes every week for 50 matches a season.  I am on about decent run outs from the bench slowly building up to the odd start, proper progression instead of, oh well you are 22 you have filled out, get in the team!

Agree with that. Playing against seasoned pros will do more for their game than playing youth football, they'll see for themselves how much they need to improve and learn how to look after themselves.

Agree with that. Playing against seasoned pros will do more for their game than playing youth football, they'll see for themselves how much they need to improve and learn how to look after themselves.

Indeed, you can't teach pure talent, but you sure as hell can learn how to handle yourself, and find out where you need to improve physically, doing imo, is far better than being told what to do without the experience of doing what is being taught.

Archived