IGNORED

How The "southvile Set" See The Proles

Barrs Court Red

It's never been a rough pub IMO...and they were selling Grolsch in there years ago. Liked it before all the revamps started when it was The Star.

may just be rumours but some one said while it was the bay/bar salt, it had a drugs problem,

the masonic is better anyway

Upon casting my inquisitive mind to this critique which has been delivered with a fervor and passion seldom extended to the humble patrons of this mighty organ,I could not cease but gaze on in unmitigated astonishment at our learned authors extravagant and exuberant usage of our native tongue.The depth and texture of the scribes

descriptive musings illustrate beautifully that which many of us lesser mortals have suspected for many moons.It is clear for all of us gathered here that though our heroic wordsmith is confident In his articulation and indeed in his elevated status in proximity to us mere mortals,sadly he is little more than a jumped up bellend!

Upon casting my inquisitive mind to this critique which has been delivered with a fervor and passion seldom extended to the humble patrons of this mighty organ,I could not cease but gaze on in unmitigated astonishment at our learned authors extravagant and exuberant usage of our native tongue.The depth and texture of the scribes descriptive musings illustrate beautifully that which many of us lesser mortals have suspected for many moons.It is clear for all of us gathered here that though our heroic wordsmith is confident I'm his articulation and indeed in his elevated status in proximity to us mere mortals,sadly he is little more than a jumped up bellied!

what he said

The only thing he does in that review to cause such ire is call the London Inn and Fosters, essentially, shite.

Fosters is indeed at the bottom end of the lager market, I'm not sure anyone can pick an argument with that, and I have no idea about the London Inn having never been there.

Why is everyone getting so upset? Apart from that it seems like a fairly standard review for a place trying to be posh from a critic that has bought into the whole 'scene' thing completely because it's good for his living. It certainly doesn't seem to be particularly sneering at the 'proles' as you put it.

Of course, if the London Inn is actually a decent pub and not a shithole, then I apologise for any misunderstanding.

The only thing he does in that review to cause such ire is call the London Inn and Fosters, essentially, shite.

Fosters is indeed at the bottom end of the lager market, I'm not sure anyone can pick an argument with that, and I have no idea about the London Inn having never been there.

Why is everyone getting so upset? Apart from that it seems like a fairly standard review for a place trying to be posh from a critic that has bought into the whole 'scene' thing completely because it's good for his living. It certainly doesn't seem to be particularly sneering at the 'proles' as you put it.

Of course, if the London Inn is actually a decent pub and not a shithole, then I apologise for any misunderstanding.

i think its the fact he's calling the locals who aren't in his socal circle riff raff is whats pissed everyone off,

I don't think anyone is upset just indulging in a little good natured mick taking.Personally I find the whole business of critics quite strange.It is one person's opinion.Who are they to judge?What makes their opinion more valid than the bloke who cleans my wheelie bin?

I don't think anyone is upset just indulging in a little good natured mick taking.Personally I find the whole business of critics quite strange.It is one person's opinion.Who are they to judge?What makes their opinion more valid than the bloke who cleans my wheelie bin?

Agree completely, unless you're talking about Mark Kermode, he usually seems pretty spot on when it comes to what's worth watching and what isn't.

The sneering tone, the assumption that the lesser mortals drink Fosters and are attracted to its mere presence, the applied thought that the "...artistic and bohemian" clientele are superior to anyone, hence it being a nicer environment.

Upset? No. Fed up with a certain subset of professionals in Bristol lauding about the place as if they are cultural dons. Yes.

If they upset me maybe I'd announce I want them to die.

Oh this is awkward, you did actually do that once didn't you.

If they upset me maybe I'd announce I want them to die.

Oh this is awkward, you did actually do that once didn't you.

And I learnt my lesson that there are certain phrases you really shouldn't use on a forum as all meaning and emphasis is lost when the words are laid bare on the screen.

As for the review, it just didn't seem to be much different to almost every other restaurant type review you see, they are all a bit up their own arses and not something I ever take any notice of at all. At least you know not to bother going there. Besides, I don't think it's a bad rule of thumb to assume that anybody that refers to themselves as bohemian is a bit of a cock and it is therefore totally acceptable to regard anything they say as pretentious tosh.

There is a new 'hipster' theme happening down this end of of North Street which is ruffling the feathers of the 'North Street ends at the Hen & Chicken Mafia'  - it's all quite amusing.

Recently read a review about the Tap & Barrel that summed up the sort of morons that move to the area thinking its some sort of middle class oasis..

What a scum hole.

We live in Bedminster and since moving in have tried to improve the area. Bedminster is one of those places that plenty of decent people live in and plenty of middle-class professionals live nearby (eg Southville) but yet ugly chav inbred 14 year old scum still seem to be never too far away.

The Tap and Barrel is one of those places. If you passed any GCSEs and set your sights higher than being on the dole and abusing innocent passers-by then don't bother with this place. This place attracts people that 99% of the population would happily nuke with the next nuclear bomb.

Avoid like the plague.

To be honest, I know some vibrant artistic and bohemian types in Southville who would be similarly incredulous that someone would spunk 3.50 on a Scotch egg.

That's cool, I'm sure they are not part of the unctuousness egg eating set!

And I learnt my lesson that there are certain phrases you really shouldn't use on a forum as all meaning and emphasis is lost when the words are laid bare on the screen.

As for the review, it just didn't seem to be much different to almost every other restaurant type review you see, they are all a bit up their own arses and not something I ever take any notice of at all. At least you know not to bother going there. Besides, I don't think it's a bad rule of thumb to assume that anybody that refers to themselves as bohemian is a bit of a cock and it is therefore totally acceptable to regard anything they say as pretentious tosh.

Unless, of course, they come from Bohemia :noexp:

There is a new 'hipster' theme happening down this end of of North Street which is ruffling the feathers of the 'North Street ends at the Hen & Chicken Mafia'  - it's all quite amusing.

Recently read a review about the Tap & Barrel that summed up the sort of morons that move to the area thinking its some sort of middle class oasis..

What a scum hole.

We live in Bedminster and since moving in have tried to improve the area. Bedminster is one of those places that plenty of decent people live in and plenty of middle-class professionals live nearby (eg Southville) but yet ugly chav inbred 14 year old scum still seem to be never too far away.

The Tap and Barrel is one of those places. If you passed any GCSEs and set your sights higher than being on the dole and abusing innocent passers-by then don't bother with this place. This place attracts people that 99% of the population would happily nuke with the next nuclear bomb.

Avoid like the plague.

Sounds like my kind of pub :drunk2:

More antics going on north street - the burger joint builds a nice outside area... But oh no they aren't allowed and planning committee throw it out. Meanwhile three shops up the lovely new ice cream and paterserie shop obviously is allowed one with no qualms..

haha I know, I just like to remind you :)

I've never seen another review that belittles the clientel of an completely unrelated establishment. Both are clearly aimed at the opposite ends of the market.

There's no right or wrong sort of pub, but it seems a certain minority of people in Bristol want to utterly eradicate your more "traditional" venue.

http://www.bristol247.com/2014/08/04/bristol-restaurant-review-the-steam-crane-north-street-bedminster-22180/#comment-246452

Basically you're Fosters drinking riff raff.

what a ****.

Please comment and let Tarquin know what a pompus **** he is

We had a pub in Frome called the three swans it was shit, it underwent this type of facelift and now its even worse, full of pompous asses, though I have only been in there once since so I might be doing it a disservice. However I think they tend to be the only thing that works now for a lot of pubs people just don't go out as much and trying to make yourself half posh is one way of getting cash. Being on north street it won't be short of business in the real ale brigade.

Archived