IGNORED

Knowing Our Best Eleven

BRISTOL86

One thing that struck me about the debacle of last season was that at no point did we seem to know our best XI.

S'OD tinkered and tweaked, and then obviously a new manager came in with new ideas who didn't have a pre-season on which to judge the team. Loan signings followed, and that again adds difficulty in pinning down your best system/personnel.

I know that certain situations require different approaches, and I'm not saying there's one definitive "best" team to put out, but what I would like to see is have us adopt a formation and have the nucleus of the team nailed down. Obviously competition for places is healthy, and there are certain positions where it's hard to pick a best/standout player. Cotterill seems to have brought some stability in that regard, and hopefully after his own pre-season he will have a good idea in his head of his mind's best XI.

You look at teams that have had success in league campaigns and you won't often see teams gaining promotion that are constantly tinkering and changing formation/players week in week out. I'd like to see us not making wholesale changes every other week, even if we haven't had the best result the week before. A little bit of stability can go a long way.

Christ, all this optimism is getting to me. If we lose 5-0 at Sheffield United today, I want to see 11 changes next week! :thumbsup:

Archived