IGNORED

Typical!

SimplyRed

I was so impressed with City on Saturday and honestly thought things were looking up for the club.

Then the League Cup comes along and Cotterill makes wholesale changes - why? To rest players? Why? It's the start of the season! To try out other players and formations? Why? We beat the favourites to win the league on their own patch 3 days ago! Why make changes?

Isn't it more important to continue that crest of success? To reinforce that new-found confidence in the team? To keep a settled team? To give the home fans something to cheer about in the first competitive home game of the season?

I don't get it? I wasn't a fan of Cotterill when he was appointed but I thought he had done well until now, and then he does this. It's so pointless and I feel for the fans who went to the Gate tonight and handed over hard earned cash to suffer the tinkering of a team that needed no changes.

I don't think we've quite turned the corner yet.

I was so impressed with City on Saturday and honestly thought things were looking up for the club.

Then the League Cup comes along and Cotterill makes wholesale changes - why? To rest players? Why? It's the start of the season! To try out other players and formations? Why? We beat the favourites to win the league on their own patch 3 days ago! Why make changes?

Isn't it more important to continue that crest of success? To reinforce that new-found confidence in the team? To keep a settled team? To give the home fans something to cheer about in the first competitive home game of the season?

I don't get it? I wasn't a fan of Cotterill when he was appointed but I thought he had done well until now, and then he does this. It's so pointless and I feel for the fans who went to the Gate tonight and handed over hard earned cash to suffer the tinkering of a team that needed no changes.

Well said.

Very easy for all the exiles and people that didn't attend to say "don't care about the cup anyway".

6,000 there tonight. Fantastic support, deserved more.

It was shocking.

But the highlight of the second half was when the ball eventually went over the hoarding and the duly appointed construction site ball retriever was pressed into action. I wondered how he would get the ball back into the stadium. Well there is a little cut out at the Williams end of the hoarding and the ball is handed back to the ball boy through there.

Shows how bored I was!

Its a league cup first round game. A

Chance to give the young'ns and fringe players a go. I dont REALLY see what everyone's problem with that is? What were people expecting? We have a squad so why not use it?

I am reserving any sort of negative thoughts untill at least 5 or 6 league games in.. Ffs come on we have just had a very good opening day result. Lets see what saturday brings before we start coming out with 'i dont think we have turnt the corner just yet'

It doesn't matter, we're one of a host of clubs that lost to 'lower' opposition.

A token gesture that occurs every season.

Wholesale changes and players out of their natural position, so not really a huge diss appointment or surprise.

Moving on to where it matters......

Yes we were incredibly disappointing, but with 3 games in 7 days I can see why Cotterill made those changes tonight. 

On that matter, does the board color interfere with the view of the goal posts or ball itself? White seems a poorly thought out color unless they will paint it/attach advertisement.

White is certainly not the best colour, and the height is a bit lacking. Going to be a lot of ball retrieval during the season. And wait till the rugger b*ggers start lumping the bouncing egg high in the sky over their H frames!!

I thought Cotterill's mistake wasn't necessarily the changes he made but more the very public way he played the competition and game down. It sows seeds in players minds.  As a result the team was clearly less up for it than Oxford.  

Furthermore, our midfield was very poor with basic errors and virtually no creativity - Elliot and Freeman will clearly be vital this season.  I felt sorry for JET who bore the brunt of things  from the crowd which I thought was unfair.  For some reason Baldock is less effective up top at home than away, but seems to effect the game better from wider positions at home.

Plus points were El Abd and Osborne who I thought looked okay.  I expect Ayling may get the hook for Osborne on Saturday.

It's a tough one to call... So early in the season I would of been tempted to put out the same team as Saturday to build confidence and winning mentality. On the other hand I can understand the need to let some of the fringe players have a run out, show what they can do and to stake their claim... All in all a disappointing night.

It's a tough one to call... So early in the season I would of been tempted to put out the same team as Saturday to build confidence and winning mentality. On the other hand I can understand the need to let some of the fringe players have a run out, show what they can do and to stake their claim... All in all a disappointing night.

It's less about giving 'fringe' players a go and more about ensuring our better players are in optimum condition.  We have a game on Saturday and then again on Tuesday.  36 year old Wade Elliot is possibly not up to playing 4 games in 11 days, so needs to be rested at least once.  No brainer dropping him.  Similarly Wilbraham is no spring chicken and showed on Saturday he will be important to us.  The only selection I had a problem with was Wynter on the right and Wagstaff in the middle.  Seemed the wrong way round.

There it is then, first over reaction of the season, one game and writes cotterill off ...it's the league cup relax.

Archived