IGNORED

Wasted Chance For Bobby Reid

Spoons

Completely agree, totally out of his depth this evening. He made some absolutely terrible decisions with his passing. I don't want to be overly critical because of the match practice factor but I think it would be for the best if he was shipped out on loan.

He tried, but the whole midfield didn't perform.

Unfair to pick on him.

He had glimpses, like the rest of the players on the pitch.

Dare I say it, but it was a bit McInnes esq' tonight. A lot of chopping and changing, don't think the players knew their roles very well tonight.

He tried, but the whole midfield didn't perform.

Unfair to pick on him.

He had glimpses, like the rest of the players on the pitch.

Dare I say it, but it was a bit McInnes esq' tonight. A lot of chipping and changing, don't think the players knew their roles very well tonight.

The only glimpses he had was over at the bench to see when he was coming off

People say he needs to go on loan, but I think its deeper than that, he just diesnt seem to get it.

I used to have a mate who could do 1000 kick ups and all the street tricks you coyld think of, but never really understoid football. A great individual, but just didn't know how to play the game. Blokes 20% as fit as him would outshine him simply because they knew what to do. I see this with bobby reid.

He does need to go on loan though as he is not playing enough competitive football to learn how to play properly. He won't get many games here either as he hasn't developed as expected. I can see him being sold in a year or two tbh.

To be fair you should know by now.

Sadly the ship is sailing.

The whole midfield was poor tonight and can't see pack or Reid getting anywhere near smith and Elliot. wynter played well in the first half but no where near littles standard jet didn't look all that wouldn't have el abd anywhere near the squad Bryan showed glimpses but couldn't care less about the loss use to losing in the first round now let's just focus on the league

If I was him I would ask for a seasons loan at conference level just to get a full season of Adult football behind him. Maybe he wont want to hear that as he may feel he is a better standard but, sitting on benches for another few years will kill any future ambition to play league football he has.

He was always overrated based on essentially nothing?

It may be the case that 'Academy kids' are over praised regularly from a very young age and when they get awarded their first pro. contract - and watch most of their contempories get released - it must be hard for them not to think they have 'made it'.

It's only those who see that first contract as the time when they really have to redouble their efforts to get the next one who should actually get one.

I'm sure Bobby's a really skilful young player, but most league players have a strong physique as well.

Having not been blessed with that he needs to be exceptional both as a player and a character to make his mark at League level.

Unfortunately, judging from his most recent performances, that doesn't seem to be the case.

He's had the fans very much on his side up until tonight, but he's getting on now and can't expect fans to make allowances for him being a home grown youngster - who they very much want to succeed - any longer.

He needs to up his game when the occasional first team chance comes along, and really grab it with both hands, or it won't be long before the likes of Morrell rise above him in the pecking order.

One thing which should be drummed into Academy graduautes is you can never rest on your laurels - by the very nature of the Academy system there is always likely to be someone in the next batch chomping at the bit to overtake you, and only the strongest overall players will survive and thrive.

And that includes when they've got a contract and think they've 'made it'.

It may be the case that 'Academy kids' are over praised regularly from a very young age and when they get awarded their first pro. contract - and watch most of their contempories get released - it must be hard for them not to think they have 'made it'.

It's only those who see that first contract as the time when they really have to redouble their efforts to get the next one who should actually get one.

I'm sure Bobby's a really skilful young player, but most league players have a strong physique as well.

Having not been blessed with that he needs to be exceptional both as a player and a character to make his mark at League level.

Unfortunately, judging from his most recent performances, that doesn't seem to be the case.

He's had the fans very much on his side up until tonight, but he's getting on now and can't expect fans to make allowances for him being a home grown youngster - who they very much want to succeed - any longer.

He needs to up his game when the occasional first team chance comes along, and really grab it with both hands, or it won't be long before the likes of Morrell rise above him in the pecking order.

One thing which should be drummed into Academy graduautes is you can never rest on your laurels - by the very nature of the Academy system there is always likely to be someone in the next batch chomping at the bit to overtake you, and only the strongest overall players will survive and thrive.

And that includes when they've got a contract and think they've 'made it'.

Pretty much agree with all of that. Of the three who are on the fringes, Bryan is the most likely to make it with us IMO, although even that looks less likely as time passes.

Reid quite simply didn't take his chance tonight. If i was him, I'd be trying to force myself into the manager's thinking, or at least cement a place on the bench.

I've always thought he wasn't quite as lightweight as his slight frame suggests, but tonight he was brushed off the ball as easily as a toddler and - as has been said - his decision making was awful.

The loss wasn't Bob's fault and others underachieved as has been said, but there was a reason why Bob was subbed earliest.

A loan spell at L2 or Conf level I think is all this season holds for him.

Had an interesting chat in the pub after the game - if Bryan and Reid weren't Bristol City academy products and essentially/romantically 'one of us'; would they be near our first team?

Nope,  they wouldn't even of got a contract extension Imo.. but their age and the fact they are from the academy means they have a job or life

Had an interesting chat in the pub after the game - if Bryan and Reid weren't Bristol City academy products and essentially/romantically 'one of us'; would they be near our first team?

Well Bryan scored our goal - and only a fantastic bit of defending stopped him from getting two, so maybe the answer in his case is "yes".

A second choice maybe, but ahead of many others on show tonight.

Well Bryan scored our goal - and only a fantastic bit of defending stopped him from getting two, so maybe the answer in his case is "yes".

That has been my thought for a while. I think this boy has talent and with a run of games would establish himself to a greater degree!

Long season so we will see!

What has happened to this lad. Really thought he was going to be something special, sadly going backwards at an alarming rate. Just hope he can turn it around.

See, I have never seen it.  Always thought this lad wasnt good enough....and I would bet money on it now to say he will not make it at City.

He is what....21 now? if he was gonna make it, he would be stamping his authority on a starting postion by now.

I'm not 100% convinced Wes Burns or Joe Bryan will make it either....but still to early to tell

Reid is lightweight but more than anything his end product is non existent. Doesn't score many, rarely has direct assists and doesn't break up the game either. As others have said if he wasn't one of our own he'd have been getting dogs abuse for years.

Not the fans who make this decision. That said there is naturally a desire amongst fans to see them make it, and possibly they get cut more slack as a result. Personally i think they have potential but are clearly not ready to be first choices. I think back to somebody like tommy doc who got his place then we went onto promotion same season, he was clearly ready.

Stood out for me in a bad way!! looked dis interested and not fully fit. He really needs to get stronger. he had a chance tonight to shine instead got dragged off after a hour. big season for him, needs to make a impact this season .

Completely agree mate. Reid was desperately poor. So many easy passes that his misplaced or over hit purely by being too lazy or trying to look 'too cool' or like a 'baller'. Seriously the kid needs to focus more on doing things properly than how cool or calm he looks on the pitch.

Under SOD, up until November last year he was brilliant but simply hasn't kicked on at all. Final ball is lacking and doesn't contribute anything going forward. His shooting is awful. I would back El-Abd to hit the target more. Wild and wasteful every time.

On recent evidence Reid is nowhere near up to it unfortunately. Needs to sort his attitude out or I could see SC signing another midfielder. Pack was dreadful as well mind. Last night he had an inability to pass forward or open his body up and turn out.

Trouble is after the first 10-15 minutes he was absolutely non existent. This seems to often happen with Bryan and he seems to fade out of games when he starts. Personally don't think Bryan or Reid have kicked on at all since their initial promising breakthrough at the start of last season. Both going backwards if anything.

Archived