IGNORED

He Didnt Fool Me!

Go Junior GO

Cotterill didint want city to win the game he played a understrength team that he thought needed a game aswell so got a bit match practice into them .

He would have taken a win obviously but you could tell be the way he stoped talking to the players in the second half he wasnt bothered.

When he changes team for more important league game on sat none of the players who propbaly expect to be in the team i.e. Pack,Jet,ElAb can moan.

Well done cotts keep up the good work,roll on three points sat

My take on it too.

But he might have said so before last Saturday so that I didn't waste my money on 3 tickets.

The only crumb of comfort I can take from it, apart from the usual loser's lament of "we can concentrate on the league" is that we lost narrowly to a team that, although nothing special, were well organised and I would expect to be top half L2, without actually making the play offs.  This would imply that our 2nd team is therefore slightly below this standard but would still beat a non-league team.

Especially one in the bottom half of the Bananarama League.

He said post match on Sat, "I don't think we are going to win the league cup" and also that he would be making numerous changes. I thought at that point, hes not interested in progressing, of course you take the win if you get it, but this cup was always going to be a just a chance to rotate his squad.

Personally i'm happy we are out, would also be happy if the same happened in the JPT. Focus on the league first and foremost. If you can get a run going in the FA Cup then so be it, at least there is the chance to make a few quid if you can get to round 3 pr beyond.

I think he used it for match practice, but also to give 8 players a chance to stake a claim. They did not, and that is their loss, but maybe a problem for SC if that is how they perform when called up. It also helps him answer any question they had as to why they were not in the starting 11. 

Yes but the trouble is, if you put a couple of average players into a good team they will raise their game.  If you put a couple of good players into an average team their performance will drop; for instance Pack was far worse yesterday when he was playing in a poorer team than he was on Saturday when he stepped into a good team.  I'm not convinced he learnt a huge amount.

That is not true at all, really sorry. You had 8 players, on trial if you like, to stake a claim for a starting spot. They almost all failed, bar maybe Wynter. SC I am sure wanted to see some drive and hunger out there. it was their chance to impress, they did not. That will have told him all he needed to know about certain players attitude and application. That was what SC wanted to see. He did not, and a few of them are in for a long season if they don't smarten up fast. SC did that for a very good calculated reason. He wanted to be proved wrong, and that team was more than adequate , on paper, to put in a performance. It did not. And shows it will take some time yet before we get a squad, not justba starting 11 to the right standard. 

If SC is "calculated" as you say then aren't you surprised he didn't change the shape of the team or personnel long before he eventually did in the second half? The system was set up to fail, I think SC knew his "point would be proven" in leaving out certain players before a ball was kicked last night... Some of those players that were on show last night will still play a big part this season but all of them looked well below par. It was poor team selection, poor tactics and poor motivation and I'm afraid the buck stops at SC for that lot.

That is not true at all, really sorry. You had 8 players, on trial if you like, to stake a claim for a starting spot. They almost all failed, bar maybe Wynter. SC I am sure wanted to see some drive and hunger out there. it was their chance to impress, they did not. That will have told him all he needed to know about certain players attitude and application. 

Well what the **** goes on in training then?

He rested players because, rightly, he sees the league as more important and has a few games coming up in quick succession including two potentially tougher than average games, one against a team who nearly got promoted last season and one who came up from the league below last season.  It gave fringe players a competitive run out, Osbourne a competitive game coming back from injury and Ayling a chance to definitely prove he cannot defend set pieces against lumbering centre forwards.

If SC doesn't know about the players attitude and application from pre-season and training with them every day, I suggest we sack him and get another manager.  I still don't think he learnt anything he doesn't know already.

Really is sad this mentality.. Great were are out of the cup.

This cup nearly lead to one of our greatest ever days. Just because the premiership treat the league cup and FA cup like shit, why should no mark teams like us in the lower leagues. There is a chance for financial gain, media coverage and a small chance of winning it, and that chance is bigger than you might imagine given the way it is treated.

Its about time realise we are in this game to win things! Not just brush it off.

Truely pathetic way to look at it. If the fans don't give a shit, why should the players?

I think it was simply a mistake, SC thought he could get through with 8 outfield changes but the quality simply wasn't there, as well as the desire.

That being said I'm not sure all those criticising Cotterill were quite as quick to praise him over Saturday's superb result.

I think it was simply a mistake, SC thought he could get through with 8 outfield changes but the quality simply wasn't there, as well as the desire.

And that mistake lasted for over an hour as SC sat there watching his side fail to get on top of L2 Oxford United who fielded a number of young, inexperienced players themselves. He is usually decisive in making subs, changing shape, last night he didn't give a shit.

Really is sad this mentality.. Great were are out of the cup.

This cup nearly lead to one of our greatest ever days. Just because the Premier League treat the league cup and FA cup like shit, why should no mark teams like us in the lower leagues. There is a chance for financial gain, media coverage and a small chance of winning it, and that chance is bigger than you might imagine given the way it is treated.

Its about time realise we are in this game to win things! Not just brush it off.

Truely pathetic way to look at it. If the fans don't give a shit, why should the players?

Every round you will see numerous teams doing the same thing. And that is where you get a lot of the surprises in cup fixtures.

Any intellectual Blackburn fan wouldn't be moaning about losing at home to S****horpe. Same goes for the Wolves lot.

And those who sarcastically jeered JET off are a bunch of complete clowns. No fan of true nature would jeer a player off, especially after his first competitive game of the season.  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

All very true, but people paid good money to watch it or, more accurately, to stand in the rain for over an hour and watch some of it, not including our goal :(

This is what really shows up the cynical attitude that BCFC Ltd takes towards its fans. They are cash cows for the club and, let's face it, in Bristol at the moment, they have nowhere else to go. It's always been a good idea for companies to treat their customers with respect. Bristol City have shown this past week that, in this regard, they are roughly on a par with Ryanair; only not so cheap.

You clearly have failed to understand what went on. Or think that what you see on a training ground translates to a first team game. It is not for me to explain how it works, but you need to understand better how football works, and that is not meant in an insulting way, far from it, but yesterday was all about allowing certain players to lay claim to a first team spot. When they fail, it explains to them, not SC why. You got it totally wrong, SC made the right choice at Sheffield, and last night proved it. He was hoping that certain players gave him a selection headache. You are reading this arse about face, and I mean that in the nicest way. I hope you can see why. SC knows his best 11 and yesterday proved it. What it did highlight, is that the new players are better than old, and that we are still another 8 players off a squad that is at the required level, and that we will need another season to trade out and bring in players to make the squad the quality needed.

That reads like you are agreeing with me.....

Archived