IGNORED

4-4-2 ?

CHAZ MICHAELS

I've seen one or two messages on here suggesting we moved to 4-4-2 yesterday.

Did we ?

I'm happy to admit that I'm no Stevie Cotterill and that maybe I don't know my 3-5-2 from my 4-4-2 but to me it looked like this:

We started with Mark Little and Greg Cunningham as the wingbacks, and Ayling, Flint and Williams as the 3 centre backs.

Half way through the 2nd half, Cunningham was replaced by El Abd, and it looked to me like Williams moved into the left wing back role allowing El Abd to replace him as one of the 3 centre backs.

Pack replaced Freeman so we still had Elliott, Smith and Pack in the middle of the park.

Wagstaff replaced Elliott with a minute or two to go.

So I'm not sure where 4-4-2 comes from.

In fact it looked to me like we finished as a 5-4-1 with Sammy B filling in on the left side of midfield and just leaving Wilbraham up front.

It doesn't really matter but I am just interested.

Started as our normal 3-5-2 but during the second half if you had to stick a label on I would say it was 4-4-2, or even 4-5-1 at the end, but really it was pretty fluid and hard to give a tight label to.  Hard to tell where SB plays sometimes as he comes deep for the ball, goes out wide or waits for AW flick ons.

I saw it as a 4-3-3

Ayling     Flint     El-Abd     Williams

Smith   Pack   Elliott

Little                                  Baldock

Wilbraham

As you said, doesn't really make a difference to me as longs as the players understand it and it is effective, just interesting.

Archived