IGNORED

Wade Elliott And Aaron Wilbraham

zoggy21

We all have grown to love Wade Elliott and has become the core in our central midfield. Aaron Wilbraham also looks to be coming a brilliant target man at league one level and will be a starter.

But they aren't young anymore and won't be able to play 50 matches for 90 minutes this season.

How should be handle this. We could integrate JET into the side in for Wilbraham but replacing Elliot could be a problem. So how should be deal with this. Rotate the team? Play Marlon Pack?

Expect rotation, kind of like Hartley; made sure he was fit to play the big games when needed to and play parts elsewhere when able but with others filling in.

If Cotts gets another striker in it will depend what type of striker they are whether we rotate Wilbs

We all have grown to love Wade Elliott and has become the core in our central midfield. Aaron Wilbraham also looks to be coming a brilliant target man at league one level and will be a starter.

But they aren't young anymore and won't be able to play 50 matches for 90 minutes this season.

How should be handle this. We could integrate JET into the side in for Wilbraham but replacing Elliot could be a problem. So how should be deal with this. Rotate the team? Play Marlon Pack?

46 matches should suit then, as we are not interested in cup games!

if we get on a roll, he will try and rest them in the first half against weaker teams, but if we are not winning at 50/60 minutes will roll them on to try and turn it around.

I think these two are probably are most important players and as you rightly point out, age is not their friend anymore, so keeping them fit for the must win games will be key.

I know they let themselves down against Oxford, but I still think our bench is better then most in this league and will be needed a plenty.

Can't rest Wilbraham in this sort of form.

Iif he's not making much of an impact midway through the second half, sure; bring on a sub.  But right now I bet he cannot wait to get on the pitch, so he's nailed on until this purple patch fades, or he's not fit enough/too tired to start, which I doubt he is right now.

Elliott is equally important, but I think the likes of Pack can deputise for him slightly more easily that any of our strikers can for Wilbraham.  That fact in and of itself is worrying, as it points out our lack of depth up front.  I'd hope we've got plans to bolster that area soon.

Ultimately, tonight will demonstrate the durability of the squad, to some extent.  Orient are no mugs; they've experience throughout the team, and score a lot of goals.  I can see tonight being a much, much tougher test than against Sheffield United, who are massively over-hyped this year.

I'd take a point; an average of two a game should put us near the top this season, so being we've got that before the game even kicks off, and have a team who've started slow in Rochdale coming up on Saturday, maintaining our unbeaten status against a very good side would be an excellent result.

Can't rest Wilbraham in this sort of form.

Iif he's not making much of an impact midway through the second half, sure; bring on a sub.  But right now I bet he cannot wait to get on the pitch, so he's nailed on until this purple patch fades, or he's not fit enough/too tired to start, which I doubt he is right now.

Elliott is equally important, but I think the likes of Pack can deputise for him slightly more easily that any of our strikers can for Wilbraham.  That fact in and of itself is worrying, as it points out our lack of depth up front.  I'd hope we've got plans to bolster that area soon.

Ultimately, tonight will demonstrate the durability of the squad, to some extent.  Orient are no mugs; they've experience throughout the team, and score a lot of goals.  I can see tonight being a much, much tougher test than against Sheffield United, who are massively over-hyped this year.

I'd take a point; an average of two a game should put us near the top this season, so being we've got that before the game even kicks off, and have a team who've started slow in Rochdale coming up on Saturday, maintaining our unbeaten status against a very good side would be an excellent result.

I won't be disappointed with a point but I wouldn't take it right now. They are one of the stronger teams but they've already lost in the league this season at home, so why can't we beat them at the gate? I would think city expect to win. My prediction is a really good game that city nick in the last 10 minutes.

I won't be disappointed with a point but I wouldn't take it right now. They are one of the stronger teams but they've already lost in the league this season at home, so why can't we beat them at the gate? I would think city expect to win. My prediction is a really good game that city nick in the last 10 minutes.

I'm getting increasingly scared of the use of words like "expect" and "should" all the time; if we're flying at Christmas, maybe we can have a degree of expectation, but we're clearly still to see the extent of our team's abilities AND flaws.

I really urge caution, as can see people turning on the side after one or two bad results.  

It's a marathon not a sprint; let's see where we are once we're a little way out of the gate.

I'm getting increasingly scared of the use of words like "expect" and "should" all the time; if we're flying at Christmas, maybe we can have a degree of expectation, but we're clearly still to see the extent of our team's abilities AND flaws.

I really urge caution, as can see people turning on the side after one or two bad results.

It's a marathon not a sprint; let's see where we are once we're a little way out of the gate.

I'm not necessarily expecting (3 points would be a fantastic result) but I'd be surprised and disappointed if city themselves go in to the game expecting to NOT win against Leyton orient - or anyone else -at home. We won't play for a point, is what I mean.

EDIT: We should display confidence, not arrogance though.

I wouldnt be surprised to see elliot play every game this season apart from cups matches.

Regardless of age he seems to have more energy and drive than I lot of the youngsters and keeps himself in top condition.

Pack is always an optiondif needed as to is pushing Ayling into midfield.

Exactly what I was about to say. He certainly didn't look 35 for us last season.

I'm not necessarily expecting (3 points would be a fantastic result) but I'd be surprised and disappointed if city themselves go in to the game expecting to NOT win against Leyton orient - or anyone else -at home. We won't play for a point, is what I mean.

EDIT: We should display confidence, not arrogance though.

Oh, absolutely; were we to turn up with a defensive mindset I'd be very disappointed too, though to be fair to Cotterill I don't think that is likely.

I think we certainly can win tonight, and am sure the eleven who've faced Colchester and Sheffield United will think that too, but my worries stem more from the potential reactions from fans if we don't.

If we can get four points this week against Orient and Rochdale, we'll be sitting on ten points before we've even exited August, something we didn't manage until NOVEMBER last year (can you believe it...).  

For me, this talk of promotion positions and "expecting" anything (other than good performances) comes second to steady progress.  I think we have the foundations of a team that con compete in the top half of the league this year, but nothing more, as so much in football is just about the game in front of you.

So, yeah; colour me cautious.  Three points tonight would be a massive statement of intent to the division, but a point would also be excellent in the grand scheme of things.

Archived