IGNORED

New England Captain

IdliketoRogerMoore

Given the latest crop of England players it had to be Rooney, I've got no problem with that.

He's got the most caps out of that lot and has done more for England than the rest of them. Also the younger players will undoubtedly look up to him for what he has done on a football field.

No-one else was in the running in my opinion.

Is this the worst England Squad of all time? Got to be up there.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Joe Hart (Manchester City)

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), John Stones (Everton)

Midfielders: Jack Colback (Newcastle United), Fabian Delph (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal) Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

This one is certainly poor, but given it was actually going to a major finals, the 1992 Euros squad still wins out for me.

And for a one-off team, check out the horror shows put out against Oz in 1983.

Rooney the only choice for me, I can't think of Manu up and coming players that could take it on.

Given he has more caps than 2nd and 3rd combined on the squad list, at 28 he could reasonably expect to play until at least the 2018 finals, and (whether you agree or not) he seems a certainty to start when fit, hard to see anyone else who might have got it.

Archived