IGNORED

2018 World Cup

Barrs Court Red

Can't see FIFA being elbowed out of the equation over this. Is this even possible?

Even the revamped Ashton Gate wouldn't get a sniff. It'll only be on a par at best with dozens of other stadia, and I believe, although I may be wrong, that part of a World Cup stadium criteria is 40k seater?

On top of all this, FIFA would rather give it to North Korea than here.

I read I'm the guardian that there is actually a technical risk that they could lose the world cup due to encouraging teams from areas of Ukraine such as Crimea and Donetsk to play in the Russian leagues. Uefa considers these areas to be part of the jurisdiction of the Ukrainian fa so if they so wished they could take action against Russia up to and including banning Russian clubs and the Russian national team from international competitions. More here:

http://gu.com/p/4vzpp

I agree that the government in Kiev is unlawful and the Russians living in Ukraine did not vote for it but the Russians as usual are reacting like, well, Russians. They need to step back and help their people in Ukraine in a different way.

Why do you think that? They've held elections, which is rather more than has happened in the Donetsk People's Republic.

Seems fair enough. A country staged a popular uprising to rid itself of a president who imprisoned political opponents, distributed state industries to his son and other cronies, used snipers to fire on unarmed protesters and used the nation's wealth to - among other things - make himself a solid gold set of golf clubs and a full-scale pirate galleon*.

As soon as was possible, the interim administration held elections and voted the guy presently in charge with 57% of the vote in an election that was considered fair by the OCSE.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26307745

Are you talking about the Russians or Americans!?

Russia obviously. If you're going to argue that what they're doing is OK because the yanks did the same I'd point out that they didn't do the same, I didn't support what they did do, and it's not relevant. Russia are miles into the wrong here.

Russia obviously. If you're going to argue that what they're doing is OK because the yanks did the same I'd point out that they didn't do the same, I didn't support what they did do, and it's not relevant. Russia are miles into the wrong here.

No, I'm not arguing for the Russians or the Yanks, neither of them can occupy the moral high ground.

Why do you think that? They've held elections, which is rather more than has happened in the Donetsk People's Republic.

Seems fair enough. A country staged a popular uprising to rid itself of a president who imprisoned political opponents, distributed state industries to his son and other cronies, used snipers to fire on unarmed protesters and used the nation's wealth to - among other things - make himself a solid gold set of golf clubs and a full-scale pirate galleon*.

As soon as was possible, the interim administration held elections and voted the guy presently in charge with 57% of the vote in an election that was considered fair by the OCSE.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26307745

They have held elections but only after the existing president was unlawfully removed. I understand that 75% was required in Parliament to remove him but they came up about ten votes short of that figure thus making the act unconstitutional. Yanukovic(sp?) was a pretty bad egg admittedly (there are plenty of those around) but they only had to wait a short while to get rid of him in the next election. Of course coming from the Donetsk region and in a country where more Russian is spoken than Ukrainian it is open to question whether or not he could have held on, hence the civil war that is now taking place. After being prodded and poked by EU expansionism (he must have wondered why the EU could possibly be interested in a country with an economy in far,far worse shape than that of Bulgaria for instance) Putin took the inevitable action in the Crimea to protect Russian interests. He now needs a land corridor to the Crimea. As I have said on another thread the best way for this to come about would be for the people in the east of the Ukraine to be given a referendum and to vote to join the Russian Federation. The bellicose noises emanating from our unelected 'leaders' in Brussels and our own idiot Cameron would appear to make this outcome unlikely. Keep up the good work Nigel and take us out of this madness.

They have held elections but only after the existing president was unlawfully removed. I understand that 75% was required in Parliament to remove him but they came up about ten votes short of that figure thus making the act unconstitutional. Yanukovic(sp?) was a pretty bad egg admittedly (there are plenty of those around) but they only had to wait a short while to get rid of him in the next election. Of course coming from the Donetsk region and in a country where more Russian is spoken than Ukrainian it is open to question whether or not he could have held on, hence the civil war that is now taking place. After being prodded and poked by EU expansionism (he must have wondered why the EU could possibly be interested in a country with an economy in far,far worse shape than that of Bulgaria for instance) Putin took the inevitable action in the Crimea to protect Russian interests. He now needs a land corridor to the Crimea. As I have said on another thread the best way for this to come about would be for the people in the east of the Ukraine to be given a referendum and to vote to join the Russian Federation. The bellicose noises emanating from our unelected 'leaders' in Brussels and our own idiot Cameron would appear to make this outcome unlikely. Keep up the good work Nigel and take us out of this madness.

Most of the "separatists" fighting to "return" to Russia seem to be Russian regular soldiers from across the border in unmarked clothing. Technically speaking mercenaries who could be shot without the Geneva Convention applying.

You say EU "meddling" pushed Putin into this; I say he was looking for a chance to flex his military muscles, knowing that no-one's going to help Ukraine militarily and his little 5' 4ins "hardman" image (that plays well with the hapless Russki plebs) will be boosted by a partial reclaiming of the Soviet empire - allowing said plebs to overlook the multiple billions being syphoned off by him and his kleptocracy. The Donetesk region, as I've pointed out before, has always been part of Ukraine: it just happens to have been settled by imported industrial workers and miners from across the old USSR.

There is no excuse for his action. You say Ukrainians only had to wait "a short time" before getting rid of Yanukovych, but who's to say he'd allow that to happen. He'd already imprisoned the leading opposition figures and was riding roughshod over the country's constitution, so to quote niceties like what percentage of parliament was required to impeach him is to ignore the basic disregard for law of his regime. The fact that, like Caucescu, he was willing to use snipers to break up demonstrations by people holding placards, speaks volumes.

Anyway, we're now firmly in the "non-football chat" territory. We should take this over there, if necessary.

Most of the "separatists" fighting to "return" to Russia seem to be Russian regular soldiers from across the border in unmarked clothing. Technically speaking mercenaries who could be shot without the Geneva Convention applying.

You say EU "meddling" pushed Putin into this; I say he was looking for a chance to flex his military muscles, knowing that no-one's going to help Ukraine militarily and his little 5' 4ins "hardman" image (that plays well with the hapless Russki plebs) will be boosted by a partial reclaiming of the Soviet empire - allowing said plebs to overlook the multiple billions being syphoned off by him and his kleptocracy. The Donetesk region, as I've pointed out before, has always been part of Ukraine: it just happens to have been settled by imported industrial workers and miners from across the old USSR.

There is no excuse for his action. You say Ukrainians only had to wait "a short time" before getting rid of Yanukovych, but who's to say he'd allow that to happen. He'd already imprisoned the leading opposition figures and was riding roughshod over the country's constitution, so to quote niceties like what percentage of parliament was required to impeach him is to ignore the basic disregard for law of his regime. The fact that, like Caucescu, he was willing to use snipers to break up demonstrations by people holding placards, speaks volumes.

Anyway, we're now firmly in the "non-football chat" territory. We should take this over there, if necessary.

Well we can disagree over there as well I suppose.

Archived