IGNORED

Our Depth?

JammyOne

Have we now got enough depth in our squad?

For me, a (young) striker and an experienced keeper is all we need to complete the jigsaw puzzle.

I've presented our depth in 4-4-2, I know we won't play that very often but it shows the players in their natural positions.

...............................Fielding...............................

Little................Flint......Williams.....Cunningham

Agard............Smith..........Elliot.............Freeman

.....................JET..............Wilbraham..................

....................Burns..........<STRIKER>.................

Bryan...............Reid..........Pack...........Wagstaff

King............Osbourne......El-abd.............Ayling

...............................Richards.............................

Thoughts?

Have we now got enough depth in our squad?

For me, a (young) striker and an experienced keeper is all we need to complete the jigsaw puzzle.

I've presented our depth in 4-4-2, I know we won't play that very often but it shows the players in their natural positions.

...............................Fielding...............................

Little................Flint......Williams.....Cunningham

Agard............Smith..........Elliot.............Freeman

.....................JET..............Wilbraham..................

....................Burns..........<STRIKER>.................

Bryan...............Reid..........Pack...........Wagstaff

King............Osbourne......El-abd.............Ayling

...............................Richards.............................

Thoughts?

Who's King?

The 2nd XI would struggle as a team in League 2 but put a couple in the 1st XI with better players around them and it's a different ball game.

That old chestnut; this.

We don't need a full 'alternative 11' (and certainly don't actually have one, as Oxford proved); just need folks to slot in when needed.

Plus, neither team above included Wynter, who has gone down the road and had a couple of solid games, by all accounts.  Being he's only there a month initially, might come back and add more depth.

Also no Morrell, who if you're including King, should be considered, as has at least made his first team debut. 

The 2nd XI would struggle as a team in League 2 but put a couple in the 1st XI with better players around them and it's a different ball game.

tbf that is pretty much SoD's team and I feel that we could have survived league 1 without hiring Cotts. Add a couple of first teamers to that and like you say its a completely different setup.

I think Cotterill has built a very good squad and it will be interesting to see what will happen in the January transfer window as I am sure that with left over funds and wages from the Baldock sale we would be looking to strengthen the strike force further. 

Our subs yesterday included Cunningham, El-Abd, Pack, Wagstaff and JET, whereas Osborne and Reid didn't even make the bench.

With the obvious exception of a second keeper, as Richards has no first team experience at all, that seems pretty strong back up to me.

For the first time in many years we have no player on the payroll who isn't making a contribution.

A smaller, tighter squad is much more likely to bring success and I doubt it is a coincidence we've already won twice after going behind.

Archived