IGNORED

The Elephant In The Room?

Esmond Million's Bung

Not exactly true. The Battle of Britain meant that German invasion plans were cancelled. Without air superiority the Germans had no hope of an invasion.

We may have lost in North Africa had German attention not turned to the East.

Pacific theatre? Still an allied victory.

Also, debt had nothing to do with the Yanks entry into the war.

......anyway, we can thank our lucky stars that U.S. foreign policy before and during World War 2 favoured helping Great Britain. Before the U.S. became properly involved in the war with Germany in December 1941, they were sending munitions and supplies across the Atlantic to help Great Britain and many U.S. citizens were even serving in the RAF of their own accord. I've never understood why people bash the U.S. because Europe really would be in the shit without their help over the last 100 odd years.

It could have been worse. There were nearly 3 million German speakers in the USA in 1910, a reasonable number of whom actually went to Germany to fight for the kaiser in 1914. It was only after the sinking of the Lusitania in 1915 that the American public or authorities began to overtly support us over the Germans and it was only when the US government realised they were in danger of losing a lot of money in unpaid munitions bills if us and France lost that they actually intervened. Even today, 50 million Americans claim German ancestory, more than from any other background. By the 2nd World War, US involvement on our side was inevitable due to the ties created previously, but even then there were numbers of US citizens measured in the thousands who went to join the armies of the third reich

However, I don't subscribe to the American bashing either. While the aggressiveness of their foreign policy and the more crass aspects of their wealth-driven society or distasteful, they are a partner that has always supported us and we have always profited from and (religious nutcases and racists aside) I found the people very generous and welcoming when I lived there

It could have been worse. There were nearly 3 million German speakers in the USA in 1910, a reasonable number of whom actually went to Germany to fight for the kaiser in 1914. It was only after the sinking of the Lusitania in 1915 that the American public or authorities began to overtly support us over the Germans and it was only when the US government realised they were in danger of losing a lot of money in unpaid munitions bills if us and France lost that they actually intervened. Even today, 50 million Americans claim German ancestory, more than from any other background. By the 2nd World War, US involvement on our side was inevitable due to the ties created previously, but even then there were numbers of US citizens measured in the thousands who went to join the armies of the third reich

However, I don't subscribe to the American bashing either. While the aggressiveness of their foreign policy and the more crass aspects of their wealth-driven society or distasteful, they are a partner that has always supported us and we have always profited from and (religious nutcases and racists aside) I found the people very generous and welcoming when I lived there

i don't mind it ether,

Not exactly true. The Battle of Britain meant that German invasion plans were cancelled. Without air superiority the Germans had no hope of an invasion.

We may have lost in North Africa had German attention not turned to the East.

Pacific theatre? Still an allied victory.

Also, debt had nothing to do with the Yanks entry into the war.

It was close. Germans had been bombing away our airfields and our metal supply was so low were were a month or so away from being unable to produce anymore planes. The destruction of the air fields was making it harder and harder to get our planes up to defend their attacks. He never knew how close he was.

Debt we paid off only in the last 10 years. It had something to do with the war, we spent over half a century paying it off. I didn't say it was the only reason.. It was just put out there to suggest not everything they did was out of Any sort of loyalty to Britain. In fact if they had the political loyalty. The would have joined sooner than they did. They didn't they stayed out of it declaring themselves neutral when we declared war, then helped us by producing more goods in cluding weapons and selling them to us as well as Germany. This seems to be forgotten by many! Before their interests were changed of course, and the rest is history.

......anyway, we can thank our lucky stars that U.S. foreign policy before and during World War 2 favoured helping Great Britain. Before the U.S. became properly involved in the war with Germany in December 1941, they were sending munitions and supplies across the Atlantic to help Great Britain and many U.S. citizens were even serving in the RAF of their own accord. I've never understood why people bash the U.S. because Europe really would be in the shit without their help over the last 100 odd years.

Sadly Gobbers living in the here and now US foreign policy from Korea, through to Vietnam and since has in general been appalling and recently motivated by oil, you cannot conveniently fall back on the 2 world wars, however grateful and boy yes we should be grateful for the USA and the sacrifices that they made in those 2 conflicts.

Excellent point.

It is very trendy amongst the whingeing left to slate the U.S.

Yes, they can be trigger happy and gung ho at times. George W Bush's reign did them no favours either.

That said, without them, we could have suffered at the hands of Nazi tyranny or Communist tyranny (as eastern Europe did for 40+ years).

People need to remember this.

That doesn't excuse their actions now. I don't think though we can hold normal American people responsible though.

Sadly Gobbers living in the here and now US foreign policy from Korea, through to Vietnam and since has in general been appalling and recently motivated by oil, you cannot conveniently fall back on the 2 world wars, however grateful and boy yes we should be grateful for the USA and the sacrifices that they made in those 2 conflicts.

I thought the U.S. and British involvement in Korea was in support of the United Nations? As for Vietnam, the U.S. was trying to stop the spread of Communism in Asia. As for taking out Saddam Hussein's regime in 2003 - a big mistake by the U.S. because at least Saddam Hussein was a moderate Muslim if a stern ruler. I remember hearing that even the CIA thought of Saddam Hussein as a 'good guy'. Without Saddam Hussein it seems that all hell has been let loose in Iraq.

Had David Cameron and the BBC propaganda unit had their way last year then another moderate Muslim but stern ruler - President Assad of Syria - would have been removed and the extremist Muslim rule there would probably be far worse and far more expansive. However, at least David Cameron took notice of public opinion and stepped back from removing President Assad of Syria via military action. Not so with Tony Blair and his warmonger Labour Partei regime in 2003. Without the full support of Tony Blair and his Labour Partei High Kommand I reckon the U.S. would have been far more cautious in Iraq in 2003. The U.S. certainly were not interested in taking out President Assad of Syria without British involvement.

Excellent point.

It is very trendy amongst the whingeing left to slate the U.S.

Yes, they can be trigger happy and gung ho at times. George W Bush's reign did them no favours either.

That said, without them, we could have suffered at the hands of Nazi tyranny or Communist tyranny (as eastern Europe did for 40+ years).

People need to remember this.

Indeed, the U.S. defended Western Europe - at massive cost to themselves - against Communism from the late 1940s right up to the fall of the USSR. The U.S. had huge numbers of troops stationed in West Germany and Britain to defend the West and thus maintain Western democratic freedoms. Since the Americans left we've had the cultural Marxist and anti-English and Scottish led Labour Partei regime 1997-2010 that's flooded Britain with dangerous fanatical Muslims.

I'm not arguing against the need to stop ISIS, but we are at the point again whether or not people want to separate them from other Muslims.

Or you could ask how far these people WISH to be associated to them.....For everyone speaking against them, Im hearing the same number agreeing with these ******* phycho's

ISIL is gonna have to be stopped, and it will be by the usual suspects because all too many nations talk the talk but very ****** few walk the walk...

Indeed, the U.S. defended Western Europe - at massive cost to themselves - against Communism from the late 1940s right up to the fall of the USSR. The U.S. had huge numbers of troops stationed in West Germany and Britain to defend the West and thus maintain Western democratic freedoms. Since the Americans left we've had the cultural Marxist and anti-English and Scottish led Labour Partei regime 1997-2010 that's flooded Britain with dangerous fanatical Muslims.

Key phrase here "the US defended Western Europe (Including the UK) at massive cost to themselves"

******* Europeans, including said Liebour Government havent and wont defend themselves...the immigrants are down to bleeding heart liberals who dont see mass immigration as an issue....aint just Muslims they let in either. They are the extreme elements though. most immigraants have attempted to build their lives along a roughly British line. EU citizens are another issue altogether. Funny as **** seeing Greeks, Italians, French, Spanish & Portugese citizens flooding in here, whilst their poxy governments attack capitalist UK policies to create jobs. *****.

Archived