IGNORED

Minutes Applause

llewy's right boot

I thought it was a class gesture.

Not like punching an opposition player in any way...

Agreed, some around me were asking why the applause, I think Cotts was surprised as well, as he looked round a couple of times.

It's becomming like one of those many Facebook campaigns that you must be a part of, or else you are somehow a bad person.

Yes, it's fine to acknowledge his passing, and the club should send someone along in an official capacity to his funeral but to have a staged minutes applause for everything is getting a little tiresome.

It may sound heartless but, a simple 2- 3 minute announcement over the tannoy about the history of the player, his upbringing in his hometown and how he got to City would be my preferred respectful response to the man and his family

It's becomming like one of those many Facebook campaigns that you must be a part of, or else you are somehow a bad person.

Yes, it's fine to acknowledge his passing, and the club should send someone along in an official capacity to his funeral but to have a staged minutes applause for everything is getting a little tiresome.

It may sound heartless but, a simple 2- 3 minute announcement over the tannoy about the history of the player, his upbringing in his hometown and how he got to City would be my preferred respectful response to the man and his family

His family requested the applause in the 42nd minute didn't they?

A player who scored 42 goals in as many games rightly deserves our respect. A minutes applause out of our days for that is nothing.

Quite right. Respect costs nothing.

If Louis Carey's family ask for the same thing in 50 years time I hope all city fans present would show respect whether they'd heard of him or not.

I got into the ground about 5 mins before kick off and without a Programme, I did not know what the applause was about and had to ask a guy in the seat next to me and my mates. A Big TV scoreboard would help a great deal, Its like being back in the early 90s without the one above the Wedlock stand. Even a guy on a ladder hanging stuff up by the Williams clock would help

Why is it even an issue? It's not an issue. There is nothing to complain about

There is if people haven't got a clue what is going on, as appeared to be the case with this.

I really would prefer a minutes silence at some point in the season to respect everyone connected with City, be they a great player or a loyal supporter; I seem to remember it is what we did at one point.  A profile or two in the relevant programme to go with it would be good too.

Maybe it is just me, but probably not given the "likes" and other comments, but I don't think a minutes applause part way through a game is the way to do it.

Becoming overused.

Not a lot of point either, if so many people don't know why it is happening.

Not sure its been overused at AG! But you could keep your applause to yourself!

And about 70 % of the crowd never even knew who he was.

So by definition about 30% did! If you feel you would rather not take part as above!

There is if people haven't got a clue what is going on, as appeared to be the case with this.

I really would prefer a minutes silence at some point in the season to respect everyone connected with City, be they a great player or a loyal supporter; I seem to remember it is what we did at one point.  A profile or two in the relevant programme to go with it would be good too.

Maybe it is just me, but probably not given the "likes" and other comments, but I don't think a minutes applause part way through a game is the way to do it.

I tend to agree, however if the family requested this who are we to deny it?

The whole issue of paying your respects to anyone who has died has been taken into a different area with things like applause, I firmly believe that a silence is the correct and dignified way to recognise someone's passing.

I'm certain the applause has been introduced to prevent morons interrupting the silence that was always the way respect was shown.

Yet another sad way our previous standards are falling by the wayside.

everyone around me in the Williams seemed to know what it was for and joined in and as someone else said, the Scunny fans were very respectful too, so thank you to them. My father told me all about Don Clark, I think he always considered him better than Atyeo, he scored 67 goals in 117 appearances, but was one of those players who were unlucky enough to have their career interrupted by the war, which meant he missed out on playing competitive matches in what you would consider to be his prime (22 -28 years old). One can only imagine what his figures would have been like otherwise.

I can just about remember his son Brian though (whom he outlived by about 4 years), he also scored a lot of goals for us and went on to score quite a few for other teams too.

I really would prefer a minutes silence at some point in the season to respect everyone connected with City, be they a great player or a loyal supporter; I seem to remember it is what we did at one point. A profile or two in the relevant programme to go with it would be good too.

I tend to agree. I likewise had no idea why we were clapping and at first I thought it was an ironic comment on Scunny's first corner!

Archived