IGNORED

Alex Ferguson's Sin Bin

robintherobin

Alex Ferguson spoke at a conference in Switzerland, and admitted that UEFA are considering introducing a 'Sin Bin' for certain offences, such as diving.

I don't think it should be for every yellow card, as that could turn a highly anticipated local derby game into a eight v nine farce.

But there is one offence that I think should.

Picture the scene, it's one-all with 15 minutes left, at home to a beatable side in the bottom half of the table.

After getting no luck for most of the match, our winger finally beats their full back and accelerates away, with team-mates streaming forwards and just one defender and the keeper to beat - when he is deliberately hauled down or hacked by the trailing full-back.

He isn't last man, so he won't get sent off.

But he knows that a free-kick on the touchline 50 yards from goal with eleven defending players behind the ball is far less likely to result in a goal than letting the player go, with just one defender and the keeper to beat.

The defender knows they are going to get a booking, but thinks it is still worth it. And that is something I think should be changed.

This used to happen loads of times with Albert in the team.

When it happens you see commentators say "he took one for the team there" or "very professional" or "clever boy". I don't agree that the player is being "clever", I think they are cheating ("he knew what he was doing there") - but the threat of ten minutes off the pitch might make them think twice.

And it would need a different colour card to red and yellow.

I think a Purple Card, to go with our new third kit...

Not sure a "sin bin"would be as effective as in rugby where in open play it's basically one man against his opposite number so leaves a spare man to run with the ball, or the scrum or lineout is one short.

How many times have we seen 10 man sides play above themselves to contain, or even beat opponents. Loosing a player effectively means you become a slightly less attacking threat and it is fairly easy to crowd out attacking teams if the spare man is moved forward to supplement midfield or forwards.

Plus your giving a rest to a potentially dangerous player who may have needed the second wind.

Also what about goalkeepers?

Well if a keeper ever fouls it's a pen or a sending off. I can't think of a professional foul or any offence that a keeper could make that wouldn't already be covered by those first two options.

Well if a keeper ever fouls it's a pen or a sending off. I can't think of a professional foul or any offence that a keeper could make that wouldn't already be covered by those first two options.

The striker goes round a goalkeeper but his touch is so heavy not even a cheetah could have kept it in play. However before leaves the field of play the keeper brings him down. The striker could not have scored if the keeper hadn't touched him

The striker goes round a goalkeeper but his touch is so heavy not even a cheetah could have kept it in play. However before leaves the field of play the keeper brings him down. The striker could not have scored if the keeper hadn't touched him

Just a foul then? Possibly a yellow. What I meant was I couldn't think of any offence that would merit a sin bin for a keeper

Archived