IGNORED

Just To Bring It Home ..

WTMS

What's the problem? We were all told from day one that AG would be a shared stadium and that it needed to be operating on an almost daily basis so that will mean additional football and rugby matches.

The under 21s will be playing crystal palace at AG soon, do you think Bristol rugby are kicking up a stink?

Obviously it makes sense for Bristol Sport to maximise the utilisation of AG.

No problem with that for me - so long as the pitch stays looking as good as it did last Saturday.

Which, I am assured (by a friend who knows our Head Groundsman) will happen - given we have the new Dasso pitch.

Hope so. It has worked well at other clubs who are sharing with the Rugger Buggers e.g Reading and Watford.

Bring home that the stadium is Bristol Sport's not Bristol City FC's. That is not a good change, I don't know the legality of the stadium ownership but that article does suggest that Bristol City does not necessarily have total control over what should be, and always be Bristol City's stadium.   

I am happy for Bristol Rugby to be treated better than mere tenants but we should have a greater stake in our home than Bristol Rugby. 

• Admin

Maybe it's me and am sure I will be corrected, but have we just given up 50% ownership of Ashton Gate?

As for being "partners" again someone will no doubt correct me, but I can't ever recall seeing anything on any official site announcing this?

Happy to be proved wrong if someone can find the links?

We haven't owned Ashton Gate for years. Ashton Gate plc or holdings or whatever the hell it is/was has owned it since SL sold it off in bits to investors over a decade ago.

Scary how many of us don't seem to know about this. We were I believe less than 2 million in debt at the time and the reasons given were to make sure the administrators could never take AG away if we ever ended up in that position.

All of these companies are owned by Steve Lansdown, the ground is not 'ours'. On the plus side, if some foreign owner takes over the football club in the future they won't own the stadium making the whole scenario less likely so in that way it's a good thing. If we weren't sharing with the rugby club then the stadium upgrade may not have gone ahead.

The OP doesn't show who said it. i expect It wasn't Steve/Jon Lansdown

Ashton Gate will always be a football stadium first and foremost but it makes utter sense to secure the long term future by maximising its usage and income.

Please remember that Bristol Rugby are now denying valuable and much needed income to the horse punchers which is another nail in their festering coffin.

Meanwhile Ashton Gate has, is and will always be known as a football stadium and home of BCFC. 

They might be paying half the bills,BUT AG will always be ours !

I'm with this. 

If its supposed to be equal, why all the red seats, and so on?

In business terms it may be more equal but the life and soul of the ground makes them tenants and I'll always see it this way.

One assumes the Lansdowns do too, else we'd see far more rugby livery about the place.

• Admin

One assumes the Lansdowns do too, else we'd see far more rugby livery about the place.

Interesting point, thinking about it there is nothing pointing to the football really either.

The only branding I can recall seeing is at the megastore which has BS / BFC / BCFC.

Of course there is the new sign saying welcome to Ashton Gate home of BCFC and BFC

Ashton gate limited is 100% owned by Bristol City Holdings. As long as this stays the case I personally aren't worried but if this was to change I would question the reasoning. As I understand it is for accounting purpose, seeing this is Mr Lansdown's background I trust his judgement.

I would be keen to know who or what holds the 80.68% of Bristol City Holdings. I assume it will be something to do with the Lansdown family.

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/05450440/ASHTON-GATE-LIMITED/group-structure#group-structure

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/01501663/BRISTOL-CITY-HOLDINGS-LIMITED/group-structure#shareholders

Things move on. I've been going to the gate for 30 odd years, a season ticket holder for the past 15 or so.

With any luck, tenants or partners will be irrelevant, as I hope they're here for good now.

Lets just imagine how fantastic it would be for our kids, and their kids if we could all look foward to decades of watching City and the rugger buggers filling a great NEW stadium every week while doing well in our respective leagues (and in Europe of course) ;)

It would be great for all the local area if this could happen consistently.

And of course if you fancy a change there's always a bit of non league footy to watch if you fancy a laugh! :)

Interesting point, thinking about it there is nothing pointing to the football really either.

The only branding I can recall seeing is at the megastore which has BS / BFC / BCFC.

Of course there is the new sign saying welcome to Ashton Gate home of BCFC and BFC

Rugby shirts sponsors on top of the Atyeo stand alongside RSG, not sure if there are more board sponsors around the ground or not.

Ashton gate limited is 100% owned by Bristol City Holdings. As long as this stays the case I personally aren't worried but if this was to change I would question the reasoning. As I understand it is for accounting purpose, seeing this is Mr Lansdown's background I trust his judgement.

Yes, this is how I understand it; Bristol Rugby are tenants of Bristol City Holdings Limited.

Ultimately though, Steve Lansdown owns the lot so you can see the logic of describing themselves as 'partners' rather than 'tenants'. But really this sounds like a nice way of spinning it for the supporters, which is fair enough.

• Admin

Yes, this is how I understand it; Bristol Rugby are tenants of Bristol City Holdings Limited.

Ultimately though, Steve Lansdown owns the lot so you can see the logic of describing themselves as 'partners' rather than 'tenants'. But really this sounds like a nice way of spinning it for the supporters, which is fair enough.

Seems to be a lot of similar companies etc

Bristol City FC

Bristiol RFC

Bristol Sport

Ashton Gate Ltd

Bristol City Holdings Ltd

Pula ???

I would be keen to know who or what holds the 80.68% of Bristol City Holdings. I assume it will be something to do with the Lansdown family.

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/05450440/ASHTON-GATE-LIMITED/group-structure#group-structure

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/01501663/BRISTOL-CITY-HOLDINGS-LIMITED/group-structure#shareholders

At the end of the day, its just a name? If everything else stayed the same, but the name "Bristol City Holdings" changed to "Bristol Sport Holdings", would you then become worried?

People seem to forget the Bristol sports was founded and is owned by Stephen lansdown who coincidentally owns bristol city. To say bristol sport have taken ownership of it is madness. Lansdown own it and Bristol sport is a brand that is helping grow sport in the region. It's a money spinner that seems very successful and is also another way around ffp as sponsorship to bristolcity can come via Bristol sport.

Don't understand why people think we are losing our identity. Think of the bigger picture

It's pretty simple. As long as the stadium and football club are wholly owned by Bristol City Holdings, and the rugby club isn't, nothing has changed. On the day anybody proposes to change that, the revolt should start.

The rugby club are spinning the whole relationship thing, ownership is what matters.

Archived