IGNORED

Wetherspoons Pubs

Big Red Rich

Hit and miss in terms of pubs too - I've always found the commerical rooms OK outside of usual busy friday/saturday nights and food ok.   Good for a quick cheap feed if you are out and about too.

The one in Bedmee a bit more questionable!

They are like a pub version of McDonalds, you pay your money and know what you are going to get.

I quite like the interior of some of them though, old theatres and cinemas which they have emphasised with old pictures etc. I was in a huge one in Torquay a couple of weeks ago, it must have been a grand place in it's heyday. I much rather they are turned into pubs than bulldozed for some bland rebuild housing.

They are like a pub version of McDonalds, you pay your money and know what you are going to get.

I quite like the interior of some of them though, old theatres and cinemas which they have emphasised with old pictures etc. I was in a huge one in Torquay a couple of weeks ago, it must have been a grand place in it's heyday. I much rather they are turned into pubs than bulldozed for some bland rebuild housing.

one in gloucester use to be a cinima, thats quite nice on the inside loads of room and a decent garden to boot

While I like the idea of getting lots of different real ales at cheap prices, the problem is one way the chain keep their costs down is by employing loads of teenagers at minimum wage. The result is the beer is often poorly kept, badly poured and sometimes they even give you a soapy glass.

Also the clarty carpets and naff decor in most of them do my head in.

There are two nice ones: the Knights Templar near the Inns of Court in London is a grand building by anyone's standards, and the one next to Greenwich art college - which looks like it's Austin Powers' bedroom!

one in gloucester use to be a cinima, thats quite nice on the inside loads of room and a decent garden to boot

The Regal, like most Spoons it's good 90% of the time but can get a bit lairy late Fri / Sat night when it's packed.

Most Spoons I've been in I've liked, exceptions were a dire gloomy one in Wimbledon, the Penzance one where you have to push your way through the drinkers at the bar to get in, and The Swan in Weymouth which would be a very nice pub if it wasn't so insanely busy most of the time.

The big one in Torquay only sold beer in plastic glasses, which suggests it's trouble central.

The Regal, like most Spoons it's good 90% of the time but can get a bit lairy late Fri / Sat night when it's packed.

Most Spoons I've been in I've liked, exceptions were a dire gloomy one in Wimbledon, the Penzance one where you have to push your way through the drinkers at the bar to get in, and The Swan in Weymouth which would be a very nice pub if it wasn't so insanely busy most of the time.

The big one in Torquay only sold beer in plastic glasses, which suggests it's trouble central.

I forgot that Salisbury also has quite a nice 'Spoons - the Queens Head.

Bad ones include Street, Yeovil (really horrible!), Shepherds Bush, Swiss Cottage, Elstree, Bournemouth and Taunton.

I can sort of cope with the one opposite Bristol Uni if I've been shopping and just want a sit down.

Anyway I'd still rather go in a nice old pub and have a well-kept pint costing a quid more. Another thing with some 'Spoons is the beer tastes suspiciously watery.

Bad ones include Street, Yeovil (really horrible!), Shepherds Bush, Swiss Cottage, Elstree, Bournemouth and Taunton.

I can sort of cope with the one opposite Bristol Uni if I've been shopping and just want a sit down.

Anyway I'd still rather go in a nice old pub and have a well-kept pint costing a quid more. Another thing with some 'Spoons is the beer tastes suspiciously watery.

I have a contact in the brewing trade (and I don't just mean the guy who works in Bargain Booze) and I mentioned to him one time that I was delighted to see one of his brewery's beers in Spoons and, knowing I really like it, didn't hesitate to order one each for me and the gf, saying "you'll love this", but it was disappointing and didn't taste anything as nice as the previous draught I'd had or even the bottled stuff.

What he said was that if you look in their literature you will sometimes see "Brewed for Wetherspoons"; what this means is that because of the lower price and difficult demands that Spoons make the brewery makes a compromise version with cheaper ingredients and shorter conditioning time and this is what goes in their pubs.

This only applies to a minority of their beer but it is disappointing and, I as I suggested to this bloke, a bad idea for his brewery as people will think that this is the actual standard of their beer and cease to buy it.

isn't there 2 in weymouth, I was there in march it was extremely busy and has been everytime I've been there,

The one in torquay I went there on a skittle tour (don't laugh) and rovers were playing torquay that weekend, They'd serve us with glass but anyone with football shirts on got plastic,

isn't there 2 in weymouth, I was there in march it was extremely busy and has been everytime I've been there,

The one in torquay I went there on a skittle tour (don't laugh) and rovers were playing torquay that weekend, They'd serve us with glass but anyone with football shirts on got plastic,

There are indeed (oh dear, I think I spend too much time in their pubs....) the other one is at the other end of town, away form the harbour and overlooking a Spar or similar.  Most times I have been in there it has an unusual smell, like they've had to use a lot of cleaning product to clear up the vomit.

I've not been wearing a football shirt in the Torquay one, maybe they just don't like the look of me :unsure:

There are indeed (oh dear, I think I spend too much time in their pubs....) the other one is at the other end of town, away form the harbour and overlooking a Spar or similar.  Most times I have been in there it has an unusual smell, like they've had to use a lot of cleaning product to clear up the vomit.

I've not been wearing a football shirt in the Torquay one, maybe they just don't like the look of me :unsure:

same here I've been to pretty much all of the pubs in weymouth at some time or other........

Last time I went in the Berkley it stank of sweat/puke.

Genuinely surprised they've not considered one on Portishead Marina yet.

Last time I went in the Berkley it stank of sweat/puke.

Genuinely surprised they've not considered one on Portishead Marina yet.

I thought they did but there was an overwhelming negitive responce from the new toffs that moved in down there they dropped it,

I say shut down the mezza and turn that into a spoons

My missus works in The Cabot on Weston seafront and it is top notch in there. Every other spoons I have been in has been terrible in comparison!

I agree about the teenage employees though, and the wether spoons in Bedme. That place sucks.

One thing that bugs me about the whole thing is all the decor is exactly the same in every pub they own! Nice fish and chips though mind.

I'm surprised this is even open for discussion. 'Watered' down beer, cheap bar staff, cardboard food, no music, inhabited by regulars who can't afford to be anywhere else - an I'm being diplomatic.

Yes, for the deliberate intention to get tanked up before moving on, or on own and in need of a slap up meal/pint or even as a meeting place but to give them serious appraisal is like doing the same for the Travel Lodge chain or McDonald's. Shit but convenient.

My cousin worked for them for a day and walked out as soon as he heard about the ethics of the place, out of respect for what he now fondly refers to as 'real pubs'.

Spoons for the win. Cheap beer and food, whats not to like.

If you are out for a posh meal then you shouldn't be going there so no need to compare the food quality to a restaurant.

Its my kind of pub, I didnt realise we had so many fans of fine cuisine on the forum, please start your own "My favourite michelin star restaurant" thread.

Archived