IGNORED

Football/wedding

Go Junior GO

Im missing football this weekend due to friends wedding if anyone can think of a decent excuse to get out of it without looking like a complete s****horpe it would be gratefull

suck it up and go to the wedding fella,

Thats why mine was on a Friday in case we were at home on the saturday (and out 40% cheaper)

I too got married on a Friday to avoid a clash. My sister booked her wedding for September one year, the fixtures came out and guess who we were playing.....the Gas!!! Sorry sis, I went to the wedding, skipped the reception to go to the match and then went back for the evening do. It had it be done!

Go to the wedding mate, simple, especially if you value your friend.

I made a pact with a bunch of friends in the early 90s that we'd always hook up with each other at the British Motorcycle GP.  After 15 years uninterrupted I was invited to a friends wedding.

Disappointing but the GP took a back seat.  Just the way it is sometimes.

Can't believe people genuinely skip weddings/funerals/births etc for football. I thought it was only in films like fever pitch!

Oh and I forgot, I also missed a family wedding (husbands cousin) when City got to wembley for the first time. I wasn't going to miss that, obviously I didn't know at that time City were going to be back there just one year later. This time the cousin and her husband came and spent their first wedding anniversary there.

It does help when choosing football over weddings that I can't stand weddings I suppose.

Well if the wedding is a close family member or a close friend, and you choose to go to football for your own selfish reasons, I'm sorry you ain't much of a friend or relative, and certainly not someone that friend or relative can depend upon.

Yes we can laugh and joke about it, but actually doing it. Nah, it isn't right.

But whatever floats your boat I guess.

Well if the wedding is a close family member or a close friend, and you choose to go to football for your own selfish reasons, I'm sorry you ain't much of a friend or relative, and certainly not someone that friend or relative can depend upon.

Yes we can laugh and joke about it, but actually doing it. Nah, it isn't right.

But whatever floats your boat I guess.

Ok. But just out of interest why are weddings so important? I don't mean the actual marriage commitment, more the reasons why people feel the need to have relatives (some of which they my not have any contract with from one year to the next), friends, neighbours, workmates etc at what is basically a legal ceremony followed by a party? Most put themselves, or a parents, into debt for a couple of hours of 'fun'.

I don't think because a person doesn't attend a wedding it makes them any less dependable. I'd like to think I would be there for someone if they needed, not because I 'owed them' as I went to a party.

Ok. But just out of interest why are weddings so important? I don't mean the actual marriage commitment, more the reasons why people feel the need to have relatives (some of which they my not have any contract with from one year to the next), friends, neighbours, workmates etc at what is basically a legal ceremony followed by a party? Most put themselves, or a parents, into debt for a couple of hours of 'fun'.

I don't think because a person doesn't attend a wedding it makes them any less dependable. I'd like to think I would be there for someone if they needed, not because I 'owed them' as I went to a party.

thats actually a good question, one I don't or can't think of a answer for to be honest

I had a cousins wedding the day of the Wolves home match in GJ's Play off season. Went to the wedding, got a taxi to AG just in time for kick off then back in time for the doo on the evening! Perfect!

However a few years earllier one of my best school friends announced he was getting married during the football season. He made me sweat for a while before telling me not to worry the wedding was on the Sunday. Only problem was it happened to be the Sunday of the LDV final with Carlise....

My mate understood but his Mrs has barely spoke to me since!

I was invited to THREE weddings on the day of our play off final defeat to Hull City. Typical!

I went to Wembley - was never forgiven.....by my other half or the three couples! All round miserable day!

So you missed three weddings and went to one funeral?

I got married when we were playing away but the divorce came through on a home match. Sorted.

I said close family and friends, those who you should be there for. I'm not on about those you don't give two hoots about.  But if you can't be at something important to those people, (it may not be important to you),  then really, what kind of friend are you?  one that won't bother turn up to a close family member or a close friend cos the footie is on!  Sorry A wedding is very very important to some people (I am like you I don't see the point)  but that is irrelevant, they want you there on their important day.  Now there are many good a valid reasons for not being able to attend a wedding to those closest to you, but because you are watching the city, is not valid imo

Archived