IGNORED

Are We Really That Good Or Is Everyone Else That Bad?

Marina's Rolls Royce

I don't think we've faced a particularly impressive team yet however on the flip side I also think that we've yet to hit top gear ourselves.

I must say I expected a lot more from Doncaster (certainly more than S****horpe) but I was really unimpressed.

I think MK Dons will give us our biggest test so far when we play them.

We've played a third of the teams in the league already and have not really been tested yet (Rochdale apart). Unbeaten so far, 2nd top scorers, best defence in the league. Time will tell whether we can play any better. Perhaps we have already reached peak form but who's to say that wont be good enough to keep us where we are ? Well happy with the start and have not looked forward to games to come around as much as this in years.

Just shows what quality we have when not playing at our best and winning 3-0 on Saturday.

Our midfield has been a massive difference this year IMO. I just hope everybody stays fit!

I agree. To my mind we still haven't quite clicked together as a unit, but team cohesion, self-belief and faith in the manager is higher than it's been for a long, long time at the club.  We're 85% together. When we totally click we will be awesome IMO, as we have a bloody good set of players here now.

We are slow starters usually. Nosebleed territory for this stage of the season. Bodes well.

At last, we have some leaders on and off the field. We have a midfield also!

Ain't going to be easy. As others have said Posh, MK, Preston and Sheffield Utd are going to be up there. That said, I think we have a squad equal if not better than all of our likely rivals. Signings this summer have been tremendous.

Cautiously optimistic... just hope, for once, we do things the easy way.

Well in our last 2 games we have faced:

- A team with 8 regular starters missing and who are 23rd in the league.

- one of the worst defenses seen at ag in a long time who gift wrapped 2 goals on a plate for us.

I doubt we'll have 2 easier games than the last two all season. That said, we have looked very composed and very professional. And the Sheff Utd game showed we are up for the tougher games too! So to quote another poster, its a little of both.

Answering back are we,that's 30 minutes detention for you and 100 lines.

Question mark after "Answering back, are we (?) " : and an exclamation mark following "...and 100 lines (!) ".

Still, it's a pleasure to return to this forum after CITY has a few wins under its belt. It transforms the whole mood of the discussions. Long may it continue.

We are slow starters usually. Nosebleed territory for this stage of the season. Bodes well.

At last, we have some leaders on and off the field. We have a midfield also!

This, for me, is absolutely key.  Our midfield has been the key reason for our failures over the last few years.  Some may point to defensive errors, but let's be honest, our defence, however shaky it may have seemed sometimes over the last couple of years, have never had the support from midfield it's getting now.  It was always under so much pressure it was always going to break.  

This year, however, we have a solid midfield and a squad of players who are working hard and defending hard from the front to the back.  Makes a massive difference.

I've also just noticed our disciplinary record.  We've had just three players booked all season (Little, Williams and Baldock). That's pretty impressive to be honest.

And seriously....take a look at our bench and show me a stronger subs bench in this division.  

A midfield, and strength in depth....what is this alchemy?!?!?

What has really impressed me -- and I am not sure how it has been achieved -- apart from Osborne we have not had any injuries hardly preseason or since -- in previous years we have had very poor record in this respect. Luck or good preseason planning? --  which many were not impressed by beforehand!

What has really impressed me -- and I am not sure how it has been achieved -- apart from Osborne we have not had any injuries hardly preseason or since -- in previous years we have had very poor record in this respect. Luck or good preseason planning? --  which many were not impressed by beforehand!

I think it's a bit of both, a players can get injured while just running, twisting a muscle for example. But I'm sure all measures have been taken to ensure a fully fit team, and I for one was very impressed with pre-season, the players look so fit, and can still perform after 80 minutes unlike some of our opposition so far this season. 

I don't think its a case of us being so good or the opposition being so bad.

Its more to do with consistent performances and this is the first season in a long while that I'm seeing players, and consequently the team, putting in consistently good performances. If a team can achieve that sort of consistency on a regular basis at this level they'll win more than they lose or draw.

I don't want to put the mockers on it, but the silly individual errors have all but disappeared (bound to have some over the course of the season) and there seems to be a purpose about the squad. No injury problems as yet also aids consistency.

If we're going to do well this year, consistency is the watchword.

Remember under Wilson that it was often the case that we'd absolutely dismantle one team (often the better footballing sides), then would struggle to get points against teams set up to frustrate us.

Right now we seem able to impose ourselves effectively game-to-game, whatever team we face, helped by a distinct lack of tinkering, on top of a nice lack of injuries.

I think because we are blowing these teams away, people are just in shock.

Before the Donny game, I remember many saying 'this will be our sternest test of the season' and because we are focusing on the other teams, I think we aren't giving ourselves enough credit.

Back to the point on teams being our 'toughest test yet' people are saying this before we come up against a half decent side, and in reality, will there be a tougher test all season than the favorites to win the league, away, in front of the TV cameras? I don't think so.

We will have the odd off day, every team does, it's just the beauty of the game, but when we do, let's not panic, let's not pick holes, and let's see how they come back, and then make a comment.

• Admin

Must say that we have looked comfortable in the majority of games this season even when we have been behind in games I've always thought that we would get back in the games.

Nobody we have played yet have looked any real quality, I would imagine we may see something different when we play MK Dons. 

But equally the oppostition may look poor as we are playing so well against them?

I always feel that we have another gear that we can get into - lets just hope that there is another gear should we need it

And against the first half decent we have played since Rochdale side we get to lose a two goal lead for the draw.

MK Dons looks to be a very very tricky game- wish we weren't playing them on Saturday but at least we will get to find out whether early season form and optimism is as solid as we are all hoping.

And against the first half decent we have played since Rochdale side we get to lose a two goal lead for the draw.

MK Dons looks to be a very very tricky game- wish we weren't playing them on Saturday but at least we will get to find out whether early season form and optimism is as solid as we are all hoping.

Really find it hard to criticise  the team effort, the coaching everything about us this season has been spot on, and yet you still manage to put a huge dampener on things.

Of course MK Dons will be a test, but they must be fearing us more than us them, bring it on...

Really find it hard to criticise  the team effort, the coaching everything about us this season has been spot on, and yet you still manage to put a huge dampener on things.

Of course MK Dons will be a test, but they must be fearing us more than us them, bring it on...

You've lost me there. 

Three teams we have played are in the relegation zone. A further three in 15th 16th and 19th and there's no one in the top 6 we've played so far apart from next saturday MK Dons. We have only beaten one team in the top half of the table being Sheffield United.

I'm just still not sure if we are as good as results ( and outpouring of champions talk) are suggesting at the moment when most of our opposition have seemed so poor.

It is difficult to put a "huge dampener" on anything whilst we are unbeaten, top of the league and 5 points clear.

Archived