IGNORED

Ratings And Mini Report

And Its Smith

First off all, apologies for not keeping you up to date on the match thread as promised. Phone packed up as the ref blew his whistle to start the game.

Onto the game. I think this must be the first away game I have expected City to win for many years and to be honest it was very comfortable. First 25 minutes was very good with some good interchanges across the whole team - Williams getting forward well with Bryan, Freeman getting on the ball with some clever one twos with Wilbraham and Little trying to get forward when he could. We then scored and Port Vale seemed to wake up a little bit. For the next twenty minutes it was actually quite poor from us. Long balls continuously being played to Agarde which really isn't his game at all.

I guess Cotterill had a word at half time as the second half was much better. Scored early on and the game was won. Can't remember any long balls second half and the team looked very confident indeed.

Ratings

Fielding 6 - hard to score as literally had nothing to do. Cannot recall any saves or any dangerous crosses. Kicking was okay but no better than that.

Little - 7 - got forward well although not as good an end result as usual. They had done their homework a bit as doubled up on him.

Ayling - 7 - very neat and tidy. Not troubled at all by their strikers.

Flint - 8 - a colossus at both ends. Assist and goal. Won every header and looked comfortable

Williams - 7 - another one not troubled one bit tonight. Got forward at times in the first half and linked up with Bryan.

Bryan - 7 - worked extremely hard, at one point chasing someone across the width of the pitch and winning the ball back. A few mistakes and couple of hairy moments but good going forward.

Smith - 9 - this kid is class and will be captain soon. Always looking for danger, very calm on the ball, rarely gives it away.

Elliott - 8 - only gave away possession a few times. Kept us ticking over and clearly a class above anything Port Vale had

Freeman - 7 - flashes of excellence and then seems to go missing for 5-10 minutes. Some good tricks and it was an overall good performance from him. Just waiting for him to really dominate a game offensively for a majority of the game

Agard - 7 - ran and ran and ran some more. Couldn't have tried harder but we didn't really play to his strengths until the second half when the game was won and we had more space. Long balls up to him will not work. Managed to run at their defenders a few times. Maybe missing a trick.

Wilbraham - 9 - MOTM - 2 goals and one quality assist. Superb performance. Great link up play with virtually the whole team.

Subs

Jet, Cunningham and Wagstaff not on long enough to really make an impact. JET looked pretty bright though.

Port Vale

McGivern - terrible at centre back

Daniel - despite a lot of encouragement from City fans he got no change from our centre backs.

Pretty much spot on although I think you have been very generous to Wade!! He was very poor last night. Unlike him but I lost count of times he gave away possession or made a sloppy pass

Archived