IGNORED

Worst Missed Most/all Of A Game

Buckobcfc

I can't beat that but I remember getting a CATS coach to watch us at Leyton Orient in the 89/90 promotion season. The driver got lost and we didn't get there until half-time :-(

As an aside... a few years ago I lived in Putney, South West London, and I was walking down my road at 2.45pm one Saturday afternoon. All of a sudden, a car pulled up alongside me and the driver wound down the window. He was a Plymouth Argyle fan and, by the look of his very moody- looking wife in the passenger seat, they'd driven all the way from Plymouth. Anyway, he said to me: 'Which way to the football stadium mate?' Being that this was Putney, I assumed that he meant Fulham (a mile and a half away). But just to be sure, I asked him, 'Which stadium, mate?' He said, 'Millwall.'

From reading about how long its taken people too get to Fleetwood/Blackpool today what is your worst ever journey to watch the mighty reds. I'll start off with Stockport a few years ago on boxing day made the last 18 minutes due to snow and traffic.

Must have been caught in same traffic as also got to Stockport well after HT on that day.

Also missed complete Friday game at Tranmere once due to hold ups on M5/M6.

Must have been caught in same traffic as also got to Stockport well after HT on that day.

Also missed complete Friday game at Tranmere once due to hold ups on M5/M6.

back in the days before smart phones, I had text alerts remember goin crazy in the car when they came through .

Heffernan got two if memory serves

Bury away,

First game of the season, boiling hot day.

Journey up terrible. Accident on Motorway so at a standstill most of the way.  Eventually got to Manchester and decided to go round the Motorway only to find it wasn't finished!  Managed to get commentary on car radio - 3-0 down.

After getting lost in what we thought was Moss Side (it wasn't)- the entertainment for the local kids was throwing chippings at passing cars, decided to give up and go home. Lost 4-0.

Went to hull few years back went up on the way back we stopped in Leeds for a beer and to drop someone off in Leeds. whilst having a drink in the pub someone broke in the mini bus and tried to hot wire it. We returned to the bus around 7 to find what had happened and to find the immobilizer had kicked in.rang the hire company they sent an engineer out who got to us around 11 after some banging and messing about he decided there was nothing he could do! We slept in the bus while waiting for a replacement vehicle around 3 pm the next afternoon a recovery truck with 2 ford ka's on came to pick the remaining 10 of us up (5 lads paid 170 for a taxi home earlier) we squeezed in and drove home!

The same Stockport game. Got stuck in the motorway for hours near Crewe and ended up turning round and going home.

Millwall away in the promotion season was awful too. Bus driver had no idea where we were going, got off and ran from up the road, only to be met by displeasing Millwall nuts (I was 14!). Got in at half time and obviously we lost.

I can't beat that but I remember getting a CATS coach to watch us at Leyton Orient in the 89/90 promotion season. The driver got lost and we didn't get there until half-time :-(

As an aside... a few years ago I lived in Putney, South West London, and I was walking down my road at 2.45pm one Saturday afternoon. All of a sudden, a car pulled up alongside me and the driver wound down the window. He was a Plymouth Argyle fan and, by the look of his very moody- looking wife in the passenger seat, they'd driven all the way from Plymouth. Anyway, he said to me: 'Which way to the football stadium mate?' Being that this was Putney, I assumed that he meant Fulham (a mile and a half away). But just to be sure, I asked him, 'Which stadium, mate?' He said, 'Millwall.'

Yep we also got lost on the North Circular that day and ended up in Tottenham after following what we thought was a City coach, it turned out to be a Man Utd coach going to Tottenham. Got to Orient at half time and was told it was full in the away end, so we started to walk to the home end and then got shepherd into the away end. The score was 1-1.

Yep we also got lost on the North Circular that day and ended up in Tottenham after following what we thought was a City coach, it turned out to be a Man Utd coach going to Tottenham. Got to Orient at half time and was told it was full in the away end, so we started to walk to the home end and then got shepherd into the away end. The score was 1-1.

Blimey, your memory's better than mine! Still, at least we got promoted eh :-)

Blimey, your memory's better than mine! Still, at least we got promoted eh :-)

That was going to be my memory as well, but I'd have got it slightly (or maybe very) wrong.  I remember the coach driver following a coach of red supporters which turned out to be United fans, but I thought it was West Ham.  I also thought we'd won 1-0 with Biff scoring the only goal of the game before we arrived.  I bow to your better memory City1970 though as I was only 12 at the time!  Did I get the "Biff scoring before we got there" bit right though?!?

From reading about how long its taken people too get to Fleetwood/Blackpool today what is your worst ever journey to watch the mighty reds. I'll start off with Stockport a few years ago on boxing day made the last 18 minutes due to snow and traffic.

Went off the motorway well before the hold up and managed to get there about ten minutes before ko.

Coach driver got lost on the way to the ldv/jpt final against Stoke and missed the first 15 minutes, then had to turf some people out of our seats.

I tend to get more trouble getting to AG on time on a Tuesday night.......................

Ha ha we followed that coach as well, got to Orient about 3.15. Thought we lost 2-1 though. 

About 2:50 on a Saturday, I had just left my house to go to Elm Park (ten doors away), when a battered old coach pulled up. The driver asked in broad Geordie "Is this the way to the Reading ground, mate?". "Yes, just down the road there", I said, thinking, "those fans ran it close".

As the coach pulled away I saw the sign "HARTLEPOOLS UNITED FC TEAM COACH" in the rear window. I still regret not having wagered my house on Reading. Yes, they did win 4-0.

Long time ago around mid 60,s I think. Went to watch City play at Leicester in the cup by train from Parson Street. Train broke down around Brum and we reached Leicester station after the game had started. All the transport to get us to the match was gone so we had to walk to Filbert Street as it was then and it was absolutely peeing it down. Got in just before half time soaked to the skin. The ref then abandoned the match at half time at 0-0 due to a waterlogged pitch and we had to walk back to the station in the pouring rain to wait for the train home. Bloody thing broke down again going back and we got back to Parson St about 11 at night having watched about 5 mins of water polo football!! To crown it all I think we got done about 4-0 in the rearranged match and no, I didn't go!

I heard of the accident that closed the motorway, between jct 15 and 16 if I recall, just as we approached jct 13. So I dipped off there and took the A34 virtually all the way to Stockport with no hold-ups. I got there with ten minutes to KO and saw a great away performance.

I hope that makes you feel better.

Oh, and the more bizarre aspect of that day was sharing the same stand with the home fans but having to walk through the home fans section to get to the away section.

Not actually been late for a game before but can remember going to Preston for the last game of the season a fair few years back and couldn't get a ticket as we were getting promoted iirc. Ended up back in the car so I could listen to it on the local radio and the only game they had on commentary was Burnley v Rovers! I was not a happy chap.

Archived