IGNORED

Anyone Been Caught Parking In Halfords Car Park?

A Horse With No Name

Type how to deal with parking charges into youtube and watch the one with Anne Robinson and watchdog. (3rd down I think) gives you what you need too know.

I got caught out by one of these companies up in London. Unfortunately I had a lease car at the time and the owners don't want to get involved in legal cases so they paid the bill then told me I had to pay them. These people should never be paid, they are running a semi legal protection racket and it's about time something was done about them.

Don't pay it.

My sister had a ticket for parking in Gordano services from a private company, I'd driven us both to a wedding as she had a 4 week old baby, and that was a half way point between her house and mine.

She got the original "fine" then 2 warning letters, then a letter from the company's own solicitors stating she had to pay or they'd take her to court. She ignored everything.

She's had nothing since and that was 5 months ago now. They won't take you to court because it's not financially worth it. They just think people will be frightened into paying.

Seriously, ignore it.

Agreed, got one from same firm two years ago, never paid it, all they do is send you legal looking letters, lots of them, my advice is to not even read them, don't waste time writing back etc, as trust me they don't read anything you send them either, it is really a scam.

Just DON'T pay them!

Don't pay it.

My sister had a ticket for parking in Gordano services from a private company, I'd driven us both to a wedding as she had a 4 week old baby, and that was a half way point between her house and mine.

She got the original "fine" then 2 warning letters, then a letter from the company's own solicitors stating she had to pay or they'd take her to court. She ignored everything.

She's had nothing since and that was 5 months ago now. They won't take you to court because it's not financially worth it. They just think people will be frightened into paying.

Seriously, ignore it.

Good to hear, as I had one of these for overstaying the two hour limit a couple of weeks' back and I've ignored it so far.

On the other hand, I have some random stranger who has parked in my driveway. He has now been here for going on three weeks. I would like to have the scamp wheel clamped and fined.

Does anyone know a really effective and intimidating private parking company I could use please?

On the other hand, I have some random stranger who has parked in my driveway. He has now been here for going on three weeks. I would like to have the scamp wheel clamped and fined.

Does anyone know a really effective and intimidating private parking company I could use please?

Park across the bottom of your driveway & stick a note on on his windscreen saying you have gone on holiday for a fortnight, if he wants your car moved ring 02075931850 and ask for Amanda Hugankis

Simple one matey. Get a rope, borrow a 4wd or tractor and tow it into the middle of the road and leave it. Sorted.

A family member working for BT had to do a long an complicated job in Halfords about 6 months ago. Of course he overstayed the 90 min limit, he didn't give it a thought when he parked in the Carpark just outside. He didn't realise there was a limit. It was a weekday, mid morning and there were only a handful of other vehicles in the car park at the time, so not exactly depriving shoppers of spaces.

A week or so later he got a call from his boss telling him about the parking fine. His manager ended up having to go to Halfords with job details to prove he was in there working for them. His boss was given the impression by the Halfords staff that the fine would have to be paid. It was left that they would speak to the car park company and explain that the engineer was working in their building, he didn't hear anymore.

Just smash it up and blame it on vandals, say you saw a bunch of scruffy kids who smashed up the car and then punched a horse after, rampage of the GHS.

I take it if you renegotiated a phone contract, the you might have receipts from the day which might give an indication of the times you were present?

We had a parking ticket for exceeding the 2 (or is it 3) hr stay at eastville, and when we replied by email we included scans of the receipts from the various shops (bras, baby food - I suppose that kind of thing helps!) informing them of the amount of business we had given the place, and they retracted it immediately.

If you can prove that you have been parking there to legitimately visit the shops that the car park serves, then they haven't a leg to stand on. I'm sure if you took it up with the phone shop they'd disappear quickly enough.

The limits are only there to deter those taking the piss.

Normally if you can show that you were legitimately using the businesses they will retract it.

However if they wish to peruse it they will be wasting their own money.

Their argument would be based on the premise that you have entered into a contract by acknowledging their signage, which is nearly impossible to prove!

Therefore what their 'fine' (these companies are not legally allowed to issue fines) can only be claimed on the cost associated with your parking, which unless the car park was rammed full is negligible. In which case, this would have to be claimed through court by the owner of the car park, NOT the management company assigned to it.

They will however try every scare tactics including county court applications to bully people into paying. If you let them know that you know the legalities they will back down as they know they will lose!

This is based on previous experience with Parkingeye

I haven't read all replies, so apologies if this has been said, but Iv read some that say ignore them.

DO NOT IGNORE THEM

The advice has changed regarding these types of "fines". Generally, you will get away without paying but do not ignore because they can, and will now file a count court order.

Google pepipoo, sign up and make a post and you will get all the advice you need.

I ended up with a CCJ because I just ignored them.

Don't pay it.

Seriously, ignore it.

This.

IGNORE IT AND DON'T RESPOND TO ANYTHING.

They can't do you, but will threaten/bully you. Pirates.

Only the police and council are legally able to charge you.

I know of someone who received a parking fine from a third party company.

They then took my word and ignored EVERYTHING.

After threatening with court proceedings, no further contact was made.

This was only within the last 6-8 months.

As I said, at this point there is two options and ignoring can work (and is the only option if you haven't appealed within the 28 days, worst case you will be given a CCJ to the value of the original notice) but the general advice has changed.

It used to be ignore everything, nothing will happen. Then the laws changed (I don't understand it enough to explain properly) surrounding being able to chase the registered keeper rather than having to prove who actually parked the car.

Now the advice is to appeal and you have a very good chance of it being over turned, especially in these free car parks when you over stay the time.

I myself have ignored letters in the past and got away with it. I have also ignored and been handed court papers and didn't have a leg to stand on as I'd not appealed and ignored all prior contact. I didn't submit a defence and was issued a CCJ.

These companies, especially ParkingEye (which I appreciate aren't the operator in question) are pushing more and more claims to court these days, though they are being beaten quite regularly.

It's shocking - my wife and I went shopping at Eastgate a couple of weekends ago. We parked in the car park and then spent five hours there while we went to IKEA, Mothercare, Mamas and Papas etc. A couple of weeks later we get a massive fine because the maximum stay was four hours or something. Even though we were using the shops that the car park was for!!!!

It's shocking - my wife and I went shopping at Eastgate a couple of weekends ago. We parked in the car park and then spent five hours there while we went to IKEA, Mothercare, Mamas and Papas etc. A couple of weeks later we get a massive fine because the maximum stay was four hours or something. Even though we were using the shops that the car park was for!!!!

If you want to communicate/appeal, you can just print a copy of your receipts. That'll be enough to overturn the fine :)

Archived