IGNORED

Korey Smith Nasty Bit Of Work

foghornred

What a load of Ed balls, the OP could well get our lads a reputation for responding to a previous action by the opponent. Before we know it, the next opposition are highlighting it to the ref, just like Rotherham did with FF and his kicking. Don't people know anything about the game and when to shut the Eff up for the good of the game.

Again, i'm sure City fans would be very quiet if an opposition player did it to one of our players though wouldn't they?

Again, i'm sure City fans would be very quiet if an opposition player did it to one of our players though wouldn't they?

Why highlight this? It will be used against us. I'm not posting on this subject after this as it's tantamount to giving future opponents ammunition to use against us. There was no offence recorded, why highlight a nothing event to our detriment? Anyone posting anymore on this subject is undermining our team. If a player is subsequently targeted by opposition fans and the management team because of comments on this site, it will cost us. Shut the eff up, give them nothing.

If this happened (it's easy to misintrepet things from the touchlines) then the biggest surprise must be that Pond didn't hit the deck screaming at the referee. This seems to happen a lot when there has been no contact at all, so he would deserve credit for not taking advantage. 

Yesterday I noticed that when we got the free kick near the end (that we messed up) Korey was in and behind the wall and while behind the wall he ran his studs down the back of a Fleetwood players calf an action that would have got him sent off with a 3 match ban if the referee had seen it.

This is something that I do not approve of and I hope that SC does not approve either and will have a word. 

I'd have to agree with Foghorn: it was on Nathan Pond (the one who's been with them for years and gained six promotions or something silly).

There was a mini-fracas as Smith was bundled out of the way as he lined up in and around their wall (bit pointless seeing as Cunningham was gonna wiff-waff it over the back of the stand anyway, as we all knew) and he got a bit of retribution. It was silly, out-of-character and probably a testament to the professionalism of Nathan Pond that he didn't fall over clutching his calf. Either that or he didn't feel it.

Don't think that's typical of Smith, though, from what we've seen so far. Moment of madness and, no doubt, frustration at letting slip a 2-goal lead/having to have Pack alongside him gifting them their equaliser after all his (Smith's) 90 mins of hard work.

Hope he doesn't do it again and sticks to his superb qualities of nicking the ball off opposing players and giving it to a red (or purple) shirt.

Wow! This has really divided opinion!

My opinion is brilliant! Had enough of being a soft touch, fed up of letting Wolves go 0-4 up at Ashton Gate before half tine, fed up of Blackburn and Burnley coming to our home and knocking in 5 and 4.

I've had the great pleasure of spending a few drinking sessions with the great Gerry Gow and he confirmed that the great City team of the late 70s realised that intimidation was an important part of our armoury. He ruined people in the tunnel before the game, superb stuff!

Don't remember Fergie saying Keane was out of order or Wenger decrying Viera's antics??!

Fair play Korey, it's a hard div, let's get a reputation of being nasty and hard to beat, we aren't the footy purists that many think we are!

Nope, that's not me, but I don't want my club getting a tag as 'Dirty' or 'Cheats', we have never for as long as I can remember been any of these, but I will agree that we need to 'stand our ground if you like, ironically my Avatar Ten Minutes of Rough is my sentiments, and,shouted by a few from the EE when we all stood all those years ago.

Hope that clears that one up!!

I do believe our club has been top the fair play league plenty of times over the years which can only be a good thing imo as if the refs know this when we go down for a penalty it's because we deserve it & when our players do foul it's a miss timed challenge nothing more keeping our players on the pitch & not taking an early shower, but I do think our teams have needed to be a bit more rough & ready approach but not being stupid by getting sent off for something not needed to be done such as scraping their studs down the opposition calfs.

Wow! This has really divided opinion!

My opinion is brilliant! Had enough of being a soft touch, fed up of letting Wolves go 0-4 up at Ashton Gate before half tine, fed up of Blackburn and Burnley coming to our home and knocking in 5 and 4.

I've had the great pleasure of spending a few drinking sessions with the great Gerry Gow and he confirmed that the great City team of the late 70s realised that intimidation was an important part of our armoury. He ruined people in the tunnel before the game, superb stuff!

Don't remember Fergie saying Keane was out of order or Wenger decrying Viera's antics??!

Fair play Korey, it's a hard div, let's get a reputation of being nasty and hard to beat, we aren't the footy purists that many think we are!

Interestingly, several years ago I had the dubious pleasure of playing against and then sharing a few drinks with an ex-City hard man, a Scot with the initials JQ. He had been one of my favourite players, and I happened to mention to him how I had really enjoyed watching the past City 'hard men' such as, inter alia, him (JQ), Bobby Kellard and Gerry Gow.

His reaction when I mentioned GG as being a hard man was to invite me outside to show me just what 'hard' really was - he was not impressed at being compared to Gerry Gow. 

As long as anyone on the team doesnt get sent off for stupid shit, and cost us points/promotion I really couldnt give one. Footballers are all a bunch of ****** jessies fallin over like theyve been shot anyways. They need to man up...rugby players are far more likely to get hurt than these little darlings, but they dont go down with triple salco, double summersault, and single tumble. Footballers in every professional league are guilty of it, and I would love it if refs handed out more cards for dives like that**** from Donny last home game. Ours too if they dive... nice to see our team with passion at last.....

Agree with OP and TMOR, infact lets put him on the transfer list now. What a disgrace of a human being, forget he's one of the best midfielders we've had for a long time, he needs to go, now.

Of course he is , no doubting that, but just where did I say he was a disgrace of a human being etc? You are making things up, clear your head and see some common sense. There has to be an element of discipline in a football club as in any job, no player should be above reproach, especially if his actions affect the team and or results. I imagine Cotterill is the type that would stamp on this straight away, in fact I am sure he would, he has a reputation for being a disciplinarian which is possibly one of the reasons he has transformed the fortunes of the club.

So, I repeat there is nothing wrong with being 'hard' and competitive, I agree we have lacked this in the past, but you should know that there is a difference when you cross the line.

Yes, it did make me laugh. Immensely and, in fact, out loud!

As I said in my post, I did not give it a 'like' - I considered the post somewhat inappropriate.

But I laughed.

I also laugh at some sick, obscene and racist jokes.

Perhaps I am just human.

Getting worse....you must love Chubby Roy Brown. :blink:   

Feel free to unlike your like on my post Phil, I have standards you know. 

How many actually watched GG. THIS MAN COULD REALLY PLAY! Yet all I read on hear is this stream of hard man shit, which while true is not a euphemism for midfield clogger that kicked out at opponents because he had nothing else!

Gerry won the ball and passed it, he also had ability at dead balls and scored a lot of goals. In fact when I spoke to him last he had forgotten he once got a 94th minute winner at Old Bloody Trafford.

So when people are writing about Mr. Gow remember he was probably one of our best ever players and intimadated opposition players so much it allowed the Tainton's Whiteheads and Ritchie's to play their game.

So to the point. If Korey Smith did something niggling off the ball it was almost certainly in response to something else, but I don't care, as I left the Boy Scouts 40 years ago and I won't be going back!

How many actually watched GG. THIS MAN COULD REALLY PLAY! Yet all I read on hear is this stream of hard man shit, which while true is not a euphemism for midfield clogger that kicked out at opponents because he had nothing else!

Gerry won the ball and passed it, he also had ability at dead balls and scored a lot of goals. In fact when I spoke to him last he had forgotten he once got a 94th minute winner at Old Bloody Trafford.

So when people are writing about Mr. Gow remember he was probably one of our best ever players and intimadated opposition players so much it allowed the Tainton's Whiteheads and Ritchie's to play their game.

So to the point. If Korey Smith did something niggling off the ball it was almost certainly in response to something else, but I don't care, as I left the Boy Scouts 40 years ago and I won't be going back!

Absolutely sir! Gerry remains my fave ever City player, and he was so much more than a hard man, great player.

Not surprised that he forgot scoring a winner at Old Trafford because it was Donnie Gillies who scored the winner up there I think when we did the double over them in 1974/5?

Gow, Hunter, Kellard etc were and still are some of my favourite all time City, Joe Jordan & Terry Cooper stood for no nonsense too.... Today's Prem ***** (sorry 'stars') most of em wouldn't have dared take the piss out of that lot or at least wouldn't for a second time! .... Its the sneaky shit I can't stand, the old guard didn't **** about, and provided some of the best footballing memories in living memory... The twinkle toes skill often seen nowadays (brilliant as much of it is) is a World away from blood guts and thunder era many of us were privileged to have grown up with, and there was always room for the George Best's etc.. Gerry Sharpe was one of my first skill player heroes, til that fateful day against the Boro that ended it for him... Football then may have been generally 'dirtier' but that was the game then, today's sanitised version is a totally different animal and the snidey side of it was thge exception rather than the norm in Gows day - it was more honest then hard & often unfair but more upfront and honest, f'ing Suarez sneaky bite etc would've resulted in a well deserved broken nose, likewise a cowardly shin / calf raking wouldn't have been taken lightly..

Guess I'm saying there's hard 'dirty' and there's cheating sneaky 'dirty' .... Worlds apart and Gow wasn't in the second category....

Its a different game today, I preferred the older version , remember Terry Butcher blood soaked England shirt, raw & honest.. Loved it, miss it.

Couldn't agree more, having grown up in that era.  Best was exceptional, but I dare say some of the lesser skilful types were better players for having to swerve some of the full-bloodied tackling of the time.

There's a difference though between being more street wise and tenacious as a midfield unit (which i agree with you - i prefer as well) verses any of our players resulting to actions like that - which do not make a good footballing side. No need for it in the game and its definitely not acceptable.

Actions like this do not make a good footballing side. Surge's report was that it was six of one, half a dozen of the other, a slapped wrist for Korey should suffice for being too blatant (although in his defence he was 'bundled out the way'). Luckily the ref missed it. What I don't want to see is City players being ''bundled out the way' and being too pussy to stand their ground.

There is a difference between a combative, competitive midfield and having a team with players who aren't afraid to participate in the dark arts - whether that be cheeky elbows in the ribs, stamps on feet, niggles, pinches etc, etc. If we can not give as good as we get in this area then it will cost us.

I'm not apologising if the reality of this is too much for some to handle.

Also Rich, do you think that that charming manager at MK Dons didn't have some one watch us or reviewed a DVD of the game? Do you underestimate his ability to pick up on any potential weaknesses with his own insight of the game? Or do you think it is common for professional football managers to troll fans forums for ideas of best attack?

If he is reading this he's gonna be getting bloody mixed messages anyway!

Absolutely sir! Gerry remains my fave ever City player, and he was so much more than a hard man, great player.

Not surprised that he forgot scoring a winner at Old Trafford because it was Donnie Gillies who scored the winner up there I think when we did the double over them in 1974/5?

Yes I thought I remembered it well...Particularly Gerald MUFC Sinstads post match report. Classic

Strange thing I did have the conversation and could have sworn that was the goal we were talking about, perhaps not...I 'll confirm which year the forgotten MUFC away goal is hopefully on his facebook site....If you go to Bristol City Know your history facebook page there is actual footage of the goal just after the Leeds away cup footage, but its truncated and a little grainy so you cant quite tell for certain who tucked it in after Keith Fears run....I'm still convinced it was Gerry but I am as old as you so may be I'm wrong!

And that, in short is why people have liked Randy's post.

Most are probably too polite to say it, but they sure as hell think it.

FIVE liked my response, so opinions pretty divided, however I stand by everything I said, no way would I want this club to have the sort of reputation that has dogged Leeds for years.

But the fact that the bloke attacked me and not the post really says a lot about him and the ones on here that seem to think it might be OK to accept sneaky foul play, I don't, and neither do the majority of other City fan's I would bet. All this pseudo hard man stuff behind a keyboard is immensely sad really, I can't stand bullies in any shape or form, especially the ones that ply their trade behind a keyboard, of course these types will always have a like minded following because they need to be part of something, no matter  what.

That post was OTT and vindictive.

FIVE liked my response, so opinions pretty divided, however I stand by everything I said, no way would I want this club to have the sort of reputation that has dogged Leeds for years.

But the fact that the bloke attacked me and not the post really says a lot about him and the ones on here that seem to think it might be OK to accept sneaky foul play, I don't, and neither do the majority of other City fan's I would bet. All this pseudo hard man stuff behind a keyboard is immensely sad really, I can't stand bullies in any shape or form, especially the ones that ply their trade behind a keyboard, of course these types will always have a like minded following because they need to be part of something, no matter  what.

That post was OTT and vindictive.

Not wanting to get to involved over what is vindictive, OTT and who likes who a couple of comments purely about the football aspects of this post! 

Leeds were set up to be niggley and nasty. It was cultural and was clearly a Don Revie way of doing things! Brian Clough was quoted as saying throw your medals away as you didn't win them fairly....However Clough sides also had some niggle it was just not endemic throughout the side.

We are talking about one unconfirmed incident we are not on the verge of Leedsesque unmitigated nastiness....But also please don't forget Hunter Bremner Giles et al could all play too!

Sneaky foul play, happens in every game, we as a football club have been on the receiving (victims) end for years without actually putting some out there...We have in fact been soft and I am sure Mr. Cottrell is aware of this and is aware we need to have a little ugliness....If this incident did in fact happen, I am afraid it is what is sometimes needed particularly when you are trying to play football in the Third tier. So I guess we can agree to disagree on what it takes to win consistently!

I know that Korey Smith is a good player and I am quite happy for him to be tough on the pitch with his tackles but why I posted is that this sort of petulance is not need on a football pitch from any player but defiantly not by someone who has as  much talent as Korey so it should be highlighted and wiped out of his game before he gets sent off.    :redcard: . 

More to the point, Gow was playing like that as a 17 year old, making older players around him play, he was a force of nature. He would however last about 20 minutes of most games in the modern era unless he adapted his game. Korey Smith may have been caught by a couple of people doing something a bit "niggly" but I haven't seen anyone suggest that this is a regular part of his game, who knows what the situation was?

Perhaps someone with the patience could tell us what his previous disciplinary record was like, that way we could see if he is a dirty bastard or someone who made a out of character judgement call.......

Archived