IGNORED

Artificial Pitches To Return

Super

If it allows the clubs of league 1/2 to become more financially stable I'm all for it. The artificial pitches of today are far from the pitches of the 80's. It was only a matter of time that they would make it into the domestic game following UEFA's green light to use them in European competition.

i'm not surprised FC Lorient in the French top league have one of these new generation artificial pitches for 5 years or so now, i've been there loads of time, it looks real, it seems to react in the same way as grass, sliding tackles are fine and nobody including goalkeepers have need to wear leggings or track bottoms and there have been no postponements despite being on an atlantic coastal region.

http://www.polytan.de/index.php?id=165&L=1&tx_polytanreferences_pi1[startReference]=4&tx_polytanreferences_pi1[action]=slider&tx_polytanreferences_pi1[controller]=Reference&cHash=ae19d54305950a6bbbaacdb47f90af65

http://www.polytan.de/en/references/synthetic-turf/football-turf/

The modern pitches are much better than the old 1970 / 80s pitches. I remember watching City play away on an artificial pitch (QPR ?) and it was dire. The bounce of the ball was so high and irregular that it was like watching a match played on concrete.

I went to a Soccer Six (celeb charity) tournament at Greenwich in February. It was in the SoccerDome which I believe is closing soon to make way for housing. There were two full sized pitches, I guess as they were fully undercover they were totally artificial. You stood on 'grass' when you watched, it was very convincing. The players had no problem playing on it and it was excellent.

Obviously nothing is better than proper grass, I love our pitch being top quality Desso. I remember seeing City away at Preston back in the 80's. The pitch was an odd colour, looked like it had a heavy frost on it. The players couldn't play on it at all, couldn't make a tackle fearing they would slide along it's surface as the 'burns' were terrible. Made a bit of a face of a game really. Glad the teams ditched them, or were they made to I can't remember?

I played on Preston's original artificial pitch a couple of times way back then.

It was awful, a sliding tackle just ripped your leg open and the ball just ran away from you and bounced about 100 feet in the air.

And I missed a sitter which is on video somewhere, gutted. Obviously I blamed the pitch!

If these pitches come back they will have to be so much better quality but I'm sure they will be as technology and development have moved on so much

Archived