IGNORED

He Wouldn't Do It Again..... Would He?

RedBrizzleRobin

Thats bollocks. Fans protests stopped the badge changing at City under SL. If someone tried to change the shirt colour or club game City fans wouldnt stand for it.

Of course not - after all we're so different to everyone else.

I think if City changed from red to blue, there'd be a ******* riot!

Red to Purple and Lime in the Prem? I suspect most would get over it.

People talk about protecting our proud heritage- errrr- well most of my 40 +years we've spent in the 3rd division, won nothing apart from Paint sherpa leyland daft trophy.  The only heritage we have is consistent mediocracy ,playing at BS3 and a truly appalling record at unearthing local talent.

Personally I couldn't give a shit what colour we play in if we're winning and I would care even less what colour if we were winning in the Premiership. Success at any price? No way=but let's not pretend Baadiff fans did anything different to any other fan given the same scenario. Ask Leeds or Portsmoth or Rushden etc.

People talk about protecting our proud heritage- errrr- well most of my 40 +years we've spent in the 3rd division, won nothing apart from Paint sherpa leyland daft trophy.  The only heritage we have is consistent mediocracy ,playing at BS3 and a truly appalling record at unearthing local talent.

Personally I couldn't give a shit what colour we play in if we're winning and I would care even less what colour if we were winning in the Premier League. Success at any price? No way=but let's not pretend Baadiff fans did anything different to any other fan given the same scenario. Ask Leeds or Portsmoth or Rushden etc.

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/165058-ble/. Well fortunately the club seem all over it, so it's only hypothetical for now.

Cardiff fans have made themselves an absolute laughing stock, Portsmouth don't generate much sympathy either, neither do Leeds. AFC Wimbledon fans put their foot down, though, and most neutrals respect them and mock the franchise in Milton Keynes. Hull City supporters weren't having it, either.

It may be that a good number of us are a bit precious re this but I'd honestly fear for the security of any City chairman who suggested changing the red.

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/165058-ble/. Well fortunately the club seem all over it, so it's only hypothetical for now.

Cardiff fans have made themselves an absolute laughing stock, Portsmouth don't generate much sympathy either, neither do Leeds. AFC Wimbledon fans put their foot down, though, and most neutrals respect them and mock the franchise in Milton Keynes. Hull City supporters weren't having it, either.

It may be that a good number of us are a bit precious re this but I'd honestly fear for the security of any City chairman who suggested changing the red.

Absolutely- it's all totally hypothetical. However, if cardiff were still in the Prem then it wouldn't be so funny. Hull fans did protest but were already in the Prem, AFC W learnt all about losing a club and protest only came from Portsmouth and Leeds when the damage was already done not when they were winning cups and in the prem.

I'm just trying to illustrate a simple point that all fans including us are very pleased to see large investment and only get into full protest mode if/when it goes wrong. Chelsea Man City fans are very happy to support clubs who can never ever pay their debts.

Let's see how Bristol Sport evolves.

I'd rather stay out of the Prem than see us in it watching us play in blue and white. I'm not the biggest fan of the PL anyway. There was just something incredibly fake about watching Cardiff in the league last year, I felt no envy whatsoever. If they had gone up five or six years ago maybe I would have felt differently.

Well, if we were every in a position similar to cardiff, I hope our fans would learn from their mistakes after seeing just what can happen and put their foot down.  Learn from other clubs mistakes/plight so we don't have to hopefully! Until we are in that position I suppose it's difficult to say what our fan base would do. Hopefully the way of AFC Wimbeldon and Hull City.

I tend to agree with you here, a lot on here take the moral high ground against Cardiff but I have no doubt while not universally happy much like Cardiff fans, a good 70% of our support would soon forget if we were mixing it up with the prem elite...I genuinly believe if people can't see this then they are very blinkered

Each to their own. The premier league isn't the be all and end all, I personally wouldn't sacrifice our colour and name for reaching "the promised land". If we did anything like Cardiff or the proposed hull name change, a piece of my support for the club would die. I don't want my team to become a franchise, because once one owner comes in and changes colours and names it sets a precedence for the next one to do it.

Personally I couldn't give a shit what colour we play in if we're winning and I would care even less what colour if we were winning in the Premier League. Success at any price? No way=but let's not pretend Baadiff fans did anything different to any other fan given the same scenario. Ask Leeds or Portsmoth or Rushden etc.

Thats your opinion and you are more than entitled to it. But to me there is more to a clubs history than what has been won on the pitch. It's an identity, a place in the community, the friends you've made, memories, your first game, your first scarf, your first program etc

To me the colour red is a massive part of that history and those memories and I for one would feel less love for the club if it ever changed.

Absolutely- it's all totally hypothetical. However, if cardiff were still in the Prem then it wouldn't be so funny. Hull fans did protest but were already in the Prem, AFC W learnt all about losing a club and protest only came from Portsmouth and Leeds when the damage was already done not when they were winning cups and in the prem.

I'm just trying to illustrate a simple point that all fans including us are very pleased to see large investment and only get into full protest mode if/when it goes wrong. Chelsea Man City fans are very happy to support clubs who can never ever pay their debts.

Let's see how Bristol Sport evolves.

I'm trying to illustrate that some supporters have a higher thresh hold to threats to their identity than others. The large majority of Coventry supporters, in league 1, certainly weren't putting up with being pissed around and fair play to them. FC United of Manchester supporters are another such group.

Unlike the sags, who self-congratulate for not booing and letting their club know when things are unacceptable (even though they do), City have a strong % who won't put up and shut up, imo.

I suspect if we ever did sell our souls, an AFC Bristol City would be quickly sprung and the FKA BCFC would be supported by Jonny come lately's and the non-mutinests.

I'm illustrating that not all supporters are the same and some club cultures are of more back-bone than others.

I mean, there's enough sceptics about Steve Lansdown around and he's a Bristolian (who I believe does have City's best interests at heart). Lot's of people would not tolerate, for one second, a madcap Malaysian at the helm no matter what the dividends! imo.

I'm trying to illustrate that some supporters have a higher thresh hold to threats to their identity than others. The large majority of Coventry supporters, in league 1, certainly weren't putting up with being pissed around and fair play to them. FC United of Manchester supporters are another such group.

Unlike the sags, who self-congratulate for not booing and letting their club know when things are unacceptable (even though they do), City have a strong % who won't put up and shut up, imo.

I suspect if we ever did sell our souls, an AFC Bristol City would be quickly sprung and the FKA BCFC would be supported by Jonny come lately's and the non-mutinests.

I'm illustrating that not all supporters are the same and some club cultures are of more back-bone than others.

I mean, there's enough sceptics about Steve Lansdown around and he's a Bristolian (who I believe does have City's best interests at heart). Lot's of people would not tolerate, for one second, a madcap Malaysian at the helm no matter what the dividends! imo.

Hopefully we'll never have to put this assertion to the test.

Money talks . ( Although mine usually only ever says goodbye.)

I don't know one single Cardiff fan who has walked away and I know the most die hard of bluebird/red dragons, trust me.

When they were in the prem the colour and badge change problem fizzled out to a degree. The man has given a club with a pretty dire history the ultimate glory, premier league football, he's not popular but in time that'll fade, especially if he gets them back to the "promised land".

At first I thought he'd rape them, strip them of all assets on relegation but it seems he's there to stay and IMHO that only means continued success.

Plus I like that he changed their identity and made them a laughing stock, it somehow softens the fact that at the moment they are light years ahead of us.

I don't see how they're light years ahead of us. Our ground will be as good as theirs - arguably better - in a couple of years. We're on a relatively stable financial footing whereas they have huge debts. This time next year there's a fair chance we'll be in same division, whilst also still retaining our identity and pride. At this moment in time I know which club I'd rather call my own and it certainly isn't that circus over the bridge.

There's no money to take out- it's a one way street for virtually all clubs including Man C and Chelski= and no protests there!

You're right about the Malaysia angle although I'm really not sure that SE Asia has really embraced all things Baadiff

Pretty sure that some have made good profits via capital appreciation (not income) by selling up after a while - eg Alan Sugar at Spurs?

Archived