IGNORED

Hoody

Hartcliffe red

Yes, Sheffield FC are the oldest club still in existence, but Notts County are the oldest football league club. Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United have no connection to Sheffield FC.

It would be great if you did change the date on your badges as I am all in favour of a return to the robins and suspension bridge badge but the date you currently display on them drives me up the wall as can be seen from my previous rants:-)

The more you read the more bloody confusing it gets. Notts county were the first professional team who were being paid to play in a non professional league. It wasn't until 1888-89 that the first professional league started and the professional teams were being formed and paid. I am still confused, a bit more research is needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_football_clubs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1888%E2%80%9389_Football_League

As for our date, I no longer recognise 97, will the club ban me for this? Might need a poll on this, a very long poll.

I shall now use the clincher:

Bristol City Council, much maligned, actually recognise Bristol City's formation as 1894 because they have named a street Bristol South End off of St John's Lane. Why the heck would they do that for a club that apparently only existed for 3 years over 100 years ago? They did it because they recognise that Bristol South End was the 1st incarnation of Bristol City.

Thus much maligned Bristol City Council recognise Bristol City FC as being formed in 1894, but Bristol City FC do not!!!

Yes, Sheffield FC are the oldest club still in existence, but Notts County are the oldest football league club. Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United have no connection to Sheffield FC.

It would be great if you did change the date on your badges as I am all in favour of a return to the robins and suspension bridge badge but the date you currently display on them drives me up the wall as can be seen from my previous rants:-)

Is there any connection between you and ClayHands1899?

Is there any connection between you and ClayHands1899?[/quo te]

Nah, although it's an easy mistake to make. I am named after City's keeper in the 1909 Cup Final. I was originally just handsofclay but had to add the year because I forgot the password on here after a break from posting so had to sign up again but with the addition.

I must warn posters that I have a rough older bruv who on two occasions busted up Sonny List on. His name is handsofcassiusclay.

Using 1897 is an ignorant slap in the face to the true story and denies an important part of our club history.

If you believe that in 1897 a group of people came together to create an entirely new club from scratch, that's fine.  If you believe what happened from 1894-1897 is irrelevant and had no bearing what's happened since, fine - I'm not interested in your views.

But for the club to agree with you, I find that pig-ignorant and very plastic.  1894 is the date.  They might not see it as convenient as 1897 for some business/marketing reason, but facts is facts.

Its only a single-digit correction so the club should do the right thing.  They give a nod to 1894 on their own history pages so they, at best, contribute to the confusion.

Archived