IGNORED

Wes Burns

redarmy1974

a couple of posts on here are highlighting Wes Burns poor display today.

The good thing about today is even tho he scored the winner I'm hoping that his mistakes will stick with him more,and this will drive him on to improve in future games and not make the basic mistakes he made today .

We need to remember he is a young lad who is finding his feet in the professional game we just have to look at how much Joe Bryan has kicked on this season.

I still do think tho that Wes would really benefit from a loan move to a league 2 club where he can mature and make his mistakes and learn .

I liked the interview with him, he sounded intelligent and he'd picked up the right things. He definitely has talent and the mistakes he made will only lessen with experience. I think we should play him centrally when we play him though.

Absolutely. Level-headed, realised his errors, out of position and persevered. V good experience for him today. When he has a settled run and gets experience he has potential to develop into a very strong player.

If anything it's diappointing he's so close to our first team. A loan out to another league one side until January would really benefit him, but we can't afford to with our squad so we must accept he'll make the errors and learn from them whilst playing for us.

I wrote this on the Joe Bryan thread but now Wes has a thread of his own...

Wes today largely looked like a boy against men, but kept going and added a winning goal. I think Cotterill said he was a bit subdued in the dressing room after as he knew his mistake lead to their second goal, a sign of the high standards expected of themselves and by the manager maybe.

I hope Cotterill realises now what Wes can and cannot do and will use him more appropriately, most of his 'poor' performance was him being asked to do a role he isn't best comfortable with. Im sure if he is allowed to have as much game time as Bryan is we will see him develop at an equal rate. I'm not suggesting Wilbs or Agard should be dropped to make way for Wes, just stating if he could get games he will improve.

I hope too that Wes won't dwell on the misses and raise a smile and enjoy the great goal it was.

I didn't hear his interview unfortunately but he showed real character today to keep going and get that goal, and it was a good finish. He made mistakes today and made errors on Wednesday but will learn. As others has said it would be nice to get him some games on loan but our current squad size might not allow that to happen.

Also when Wes and Joe came over to clap the Dolman it was nice looking at those 2 academy products and thinking one scored the winning goal today and the other had a very good game and is now established in the team.

COYR!!

I really do think things are looking fantastic for the future of our club.

We have 2 great academy graduates in our 1st team squad we also have the young lads who recently signed there first pros recently.

I really hope we're on the up we are finally doing things the right way

I really do think things are looking fantastic for the future of our club.

We have 2 great academy graduates in our 1st team squad we also have the young lads who recently signed there first pros recently.

I really hope we're on the up we are finally doing things the right way

Additional note to this being that Bobby Reid got another 90 minutes under his belt at Plymouth in another 1-0 win; great to see the youth getting out there and getting experience, be it for us or away from the club, like Bobby has and Wynter also did (and likely will again) at Cheltenham.

I just thought Wes looked way way out of his depth today. There is no way on earth that he can possibly considered as cover for Wilbrahim or Agard. I'm not saying he's no good but he's certainly not yet good enough.

Mind you, I had absolutely no idea about the substitute strategy but we won. Didn't deserve to but I'm happy enough and can't remember a sweeter goal in terms of when it was scored. 

( Note to self: add Chesterfield to list of dirty northerners)

In the Steve Cotterill interview he said that Burns was a bit down in the dressing room after the match as he knew it was his mistake that led to the second Chesterfield goal. That's a good sign as it means he's thinking about his game. Cotts also basically said that he was young and he's still developing. He implied that he expected Burns to develop into a good player.

A message to Wes Burns. Thank you for the goal and just learn from the defending mistake so you can do it better next time. It is not easy going from good youth player to league regular but you showed one very good attribute that will help your career to develop. You did not let your head drop but carried on with determination and got your reward.

Those who never make mistakes, never do anything or never make decisions. You will improve and make it with that attitude.

Cotts pretty much put his hand up and said he had made a mistake playing him on the left.

Also said he had been 'dying' to try 343, which rather passed me by!

Thought it was a bizarre sub at the time to be honest. Also thought the crowd lifted when JET came in at the death, and suddenly I was hoping for a late winner!

Another message to Wes Burns: You didnt have a great game, but you know it. Cotts knew he put you in the wrong position, so, kick on, remember the mistakes so you wont make em again, and keep working hard, you WILL break into the team. You were very far from being the only below par player on the pitch today, and it wasnt half a good goal ya scored. Keep yer chin up, and go on to prove you could be a City great.

...Now if JET had played that game, and then scored the winner, we would be on page ten already.

He was, in truth, playing very poorly in a position that was clearly the wrong one. He scored a very decent winner. Will take that.

Not quite...

We couldnt have mentioned making a mistake in defence as Jet wouldnt have gone back that far...

All I know is that Burns has scored two cracking goals in two games and the goals don't change in size whatever level you play at.

Joe Bryan didn't look particularly great for much of last season but now looks the business at this level. That's taken him a full 40 league starts. Today was Wes' 2nd league start and already positive signs...

But unfair for some to write him off on the back of today. He has had such little game time but still has 2 in 2. I personally would rather try focus on the positives. Pleased for Wes to get the winner as well but he himself seems streetwise enough to know he needs to do better.

I find it a bit premature that some are saying he can't be a back up striker to Agard & Wilbs. Why on earth can't he? He needs to learn his trade and will be eased in. Essentially he is 4th choice striker anyway so I really don't see the problem?

All I know is that Burns has scored two cracking goals in two games and the goals don't change in size whatever level you play at.

Joe Bryan didn't look particularly great for much of last season but now looks the business at this level. That's taken him a full 40 league starts. Today was Wes' 2nd league start and already positive signs...

Didn't start though?

Not quite...

We couldnt have mentioned making a mistake in defence as Jet wouldnt have gone back that far...

Because we all know JET never makes tackles...

Except like against Cheltenham, where he did, won the ball, then went on to set up the opener.

Nice to see some will use every and any opportunity to knock one of our squad. Classy.

Except like against Cheltenham, where he did, won the ball, then went on to set up the opener.

Nice to see some will use every and any opportunity to knock one of our squad. Classy.

Yeah funny how that's just skimmed over. He showed the fight and desire of a player wanting to get back in the starting 11 against cheltenham. Still like you say, any opportunity to knock him....

Yeah funny how that's just skimmed over. He showed the fight and desire of a player wanting to get back in the starting 11 against cheltenham. Still like you say, any opportunity to knock him....

I fear that may have been a whoosh for you both

Archived