IGNORED

What Now For The Fringe Players?

Londoner

With I think 8 games on the trot unchanged it slightly comes across that we have 2 groups....those who start every week, and those on the bench who may get 15 minutes here and there.

Where do these benchwarmers stand? It must be really hard for them considering this season was a fresh start for every one and they just haven't had a look in.....what might be more concerning for them is that there does seem a massive gulf in class between our first XI and the rest....especially in midfield. For example, Elliott and Smith....or Pack? Freeman....or Wagstaff? You cant really compare because there really is a massive difference.

JET is clearly leaving us come the end of the season, no one could of imagined that this season would of panned the way it has for him, the fact that yesterday we were IMO very average and desperate for some spark with 25/20/15 minutes to go, only for SC to bring him on in injury time, clearly shows that JET just isn't in his plans.....JETs dimenour IMO is very different to last season, understandabe considering he isn't even (rightly/wrongly) getting a chance.

As for Pack and Wagstaff, are they really good enough for us? Packs contract ends in the summer and surely he wont be offered a new deal? He has flattered to deceive since being here with no goals and very little assists, for me he plays far too deep and cant effect the game in an assertive forward going way, for me there is very little difference to Kilkenny bar his defensive capabilities, something he hasn't excelled in i.e Fleetwood.......and for Wagstaff, a work horse but surely isn't going to play regular football for us?

Cunningham who was outstanding at the start for BCFC has been unfortunate with JBs massive improvement, for me I would be more than happy to see him stay and replace JB when necessary, a slightly different situation to the midfield

Granted we are really on in the season just my input based on what i've seen, and i appreciate things can change.....but there does seem to be a big gulf between the best and the rest.

What are people's thoughts?

With I think 8 games on the trot unchanged it slightly comes across that we have 2 groups....those who start every week, and those on the bench who may get 15 minutes here and there.

Where do these benchwarmers stand? It must be really hard for them considering this season was a fresh start for every one and they just haven't had a look in.....what might be more concerning for them is that there does seem a massive gulf in class between our first XI and the rest....especially in midfield. For example, Elliott and Smith....or Pack? Freeman....or Wagstaff? You cant really compare because there really is a massive difference.

JET is clearly leaving us come the end of the season, no one could of imagined that this season would of panned the way it has for him, the fact that yesterday we were IMO very average and desperate for some spark with 25/20/15 minutes to go, only for SC to bring him on in injury time, clearly shows that JET just isn't in his plans.....JETs dimenour IMO is very different to last season, understandabe considering he isn't even (rightly/wrongly) getting a chance.

As for Pack and Wagstaff, are they really good enough for us? Packs contract ends in the summer and surely he wont be offered a new deal? He has flattered to deceive since being here with no goals and very little assists, for me he plays far too deep and cant effect the game in an assertive forward going way, for me there is very little difference to Kilkenny bar his defensive capabilities, something he hasn't excelled in i.e Fleetwood.......and for Wagstaff, a work horse but surely isn't going to play regular football for us?

Cunningham who was outstanding at the start for BCFC has been unfortunate with JBs massive improvement, for me I would be more than happy to see him stay and replace JB when necessary, a slightly different situation to the midfield

Granted we are really on in the season just my input based on what i've seen, and i appreciate things can change.....but there does seem to be a big gulf between the best and the rest.

What are people's thoughts?

JET should get more of a run in the side, yes he looks like he is lazy but in my own view the best player we have at the club. His technical ability is great, his passing his first rate.

I know others have strong views about him and Pack but Pack is a pretty decent player as well.

Think youre a bit harsh on wagstaff there, he can also cover for little if needed

Pack i cant see staying at the end of the season

Jet i will be disappointed to see leave even though that is almost a certainty, i have to say though he does look a bit better fitness wise at them moment- is there a possibility he will get a bit more time if he keeps his fitness up?

Cunningham i cant see leaving unless we get a very good replacement, we need him as cover for Bryan when bryan inevitably hits a bad patch of form or picks up an injury

SC needs to utilize JET more,I wouldn't start him but he should be bought on more with 20 minutes to go. Just think for our 3rd goal his deaf touch to Elliot created space for Little, to pass back to Elliot and the rest is history.

Wagstaff can pretty much play anywhere apart from central defence, so he has that going for him, he'll never stop running and you can see he cares, I can see him coming in for Smith against Coventry.

And Pack for me is just too slow, he's one of the best passers of the ball long range I've seen for a while, but his problem is we have better midfielders.

And Cunningham has one problem.. Joe Bryan.

I don't agree that we should be giving players a game just because they are in the squad.

The team has been performing brilliantly, this should serve as the only kick up the arse the rest of the squad need. You earn your place in the team based on performance not on reputation. If and when suspensions and injuries dislodge a player, it's up to the squad players to jump in and perform in such a way that the unfortunate player who lost their place struggles to get back in.

This serves two purposes, discipline and work ethic. Both of these have served us very well so far.

Pack will presumably get his chance if Smith is out.  Personally, as things stand, I'd like to keep him if he wanted to stay but wouldn't begrudge him if he wanted first-team football.  Elliott and Smith deserve to be in front of him but he's a good player.

I don't think anyone - bar maybe Karleigh Osborne who's hugely unlucky after an awful injury - can have too many complaints about not being in the first-team.  Everyone's playing too well for it to make sense for SC to make changes for the sake of it.  I think it's probably frustrating for the players on the bench that Cotts is reluctant to make substitutions (but, again, we're winning games so you can hardly complain) but ultimately Joe Bryan has shown that good performances can force you into the team so I hope the players on the fringes will keep at it and try to force their way in.

Archived