IGNORED

Today's Rugby....anybody Go?

Cloggie

Yes.

It was bloody cold, and the crowd given as 7k+ was laughable.

Atmosphere was non existent given the low crowd, the cold and the low status of the competition. That said the game was better than I expected although the ref seemed questionable for a few decisions.

Pitch looked good come the end, a few shods thrown up here and there, but we're now over the congested run of home games and rugby matches will now be more infrequent than they have been.

Yes.

It was bloody cold, and the crowd given as 7k+ was laughable.

Atmosphere was non existent given the low crowd, the cold and the low status of the competition. That said the game was better than I expected although the ref seemed questionable for a few decisions.

Pitch looked good come the end, a few shods thrown up here and there, but we're now over the congested run of home games and rugby matches will now be more infrequent than they have been.

80 odd points was a bonus I would have thought?.

My daughter and son in law were there, bless em.

whats this "rugby" i hear so much about? Is it like shinty or boules or summat?

I rather think,old horse, it has some connection to that Webb-Eliss scoundrel who suddenly picked the ball up in a game of soccer a while ago and ran the length of the pitch with it. Rather than ban the miscreant for a long period his apology for a school have gone and encouraged this deviant by including this ploy in their rules.

I rather think,old horse, it has some connection to that Webb-Eliss scoundrel who suddenly picked the ball up in a game of soccer a while ago and ran the length of the pitch with it. Rather than ban the miscreant for a long period his apology for a school have gone and encouraged this deviant by including this ploy in their rules.

I find that so hard to believe.

At a public school soccer match, Smith Minor picks up the ball, runs the length of the pitch and puts it down behind the goal line.

Instead of the games master either a) caning him, b) suspending him c) giving him 200 lines "I shall not handle the ball during a football match" d) giving similar punishment to the opposition goalkeeper for not decking him, he says "Well done Smith, you have invented a new game, our school will be famous for ever".

It just sounds complete bollocks.

At a public school soccer match, Smith Minor picks up the ball, runs the length of the pitch and puts it down behind the goal line.

Instead of the games master either a) caning him, b) suspending him c) giving him 200 lines "I shall not handle the ball during a football match" d) giving similar punishment to the opposition goalkeeper for not decking him, he says "Well done Smith, you have invented a new game, our school will be famous for ever".

He was buggered if he did and buggered if he didn't, that's public schools for you.

double post

You have to feel dashed sorry for the opponents of the team Webb-Ellis was playing for. There they were 4-0 up with 78 mins gone then that Smart Alec decides to invent a new sport and in one solo move they find themselves 5-4 down with the conversion still to come. I can only assume if all this unsporting behaviour is true that the ref was absent having a fag behind the bone-rattler shed.

I could not go yesterday. First game I have missed this season at the Gate, City or Bris. Bris are scoring for fun just like City and the team spirit in both clubs is excellent.

Double celebrations in May? I believe so.

PS. Reference the attendance figure. Perhaps they are counting all season tickets as being there plus the pay on the day as well.

This Webb-Ellis stuff is interesting.

It was before the time that formal rules for association football had been agreed upon an it was normal practice for schools to negotiate the rules between them before each game (much like the etiquette in Pool in pubs between non-serious players). I suspect it was common for all sorts of deviant practices to be going on and Webb-Ellis was no exception - crazy dog that he was. Apparently he was renowned for cheating in Cricket as well. The idea of handling the ball may have first risen from the young whippersnapper's misdemeanours but no one seems to know for sure.

What historians are confident about is rugby's break from football was due to a dispute over the sliding tackle/the idea of hacking at opponent's legs and that Rugby school, for whom William Webb-Ellis was a pupil, was involved in the founding of it.

I could not go yesterday. First game I have missed this season at the Gate, City or Bris. Bris are scoring for fun just like City and the team spirit in both clubs is excellent.

Double celebrations in May? I believe so.

PS. Reference the attendance figure. Perhaps they are counting all season tickets as being there plus the pay on the day as well.

Nope, that was paying on the day plus tickets sold and season ticket holders who attended only. It didn't include season ticket holders like myself who did not attend today. There may have been a discount for schools but I'm not sure.

Really really impressive given it was a throwaway B&I cup game. Well done to all who went.

One must assume that only an insignificant minority of season ticket holders, like me, did not attend. I don't know how many ST's sold for Bristol Rugby, but lets assume 3,000 and if non attendees were 10%, then a crowd of over 7,000 is very very good for the rugby equivalent of the League Cup or JPT.

Promotion for City and Bris this season should see increases in gates for both with at least four or five full houses for Bris. Next season capacity will be around 16,000.

If both clubs continue the current progress on the field then it is realistic to expect that attendance's over 20,000 become the norm for both clubs.

Are we finally going to get this city buzzing in the football and rugby world?

Archived