IGNORED

Conceding Of Goals

Sparkz 76

Right I am absolutely delighted with the season so far but a little bit concerned about the amount of goals were conceding. I might be coming over a bit negative but were outscoring teams which makes for very entertaining games the last two home games I felt I aged five years after I came out of Ashton Gate.

Are the teams we are playing that good in quality or are we lapsing at the back. Be nice to tighten up and still be free scoring.

Fleetwood = 3

MK Dons = 2

Walsall = 1

Chesterfield = 2

= 8 in last 4 League games

Any Thoughts

Don't misunderstand this post its not a moan just something I think we can work on

Its not so much the number of goals we are conceding, more that we seem incapable of holding onto a lead. Pegged back twice yesterday, once at Walsall and we threw away 2 goal leads in our two games previous to that. Cotterill doesnt seem to be learning that we cant keep sitting back and inviting the opposition onto us. We've got away with it so far because our midfield and forward line are excellent but we'll be found out soon if we dont tighten up.

Oh no we are top of the league lets find something to moan about :-) only 4 teams have conceded less than us and only of these have played the same amount of games as us. We've conceded goals against two of the in form and free scoring teams in the last two home games but we still beat them. Everything is fine nothing to see here :-)

Right I am absolutely delighted with the season so far but a little bit concerned about the amount of goals were conceding. I might be coming over a bit negative but were outscoring teams which makes for very entertaining games the last two home games I felt I aged five years after I came out of Ashton Gate.

Are the teams we are playing that good in quality or are we lapsing at the back. Be nice to tighten up and still be free scoring.

Fleetwood = 3

MK Dons = 2

Walsall = 1

Chesterfield = 2

= 8 in last 4 League games

Any Thoughts

Don't misunderstand this post its not a moan just something I think we can work on

scored 10

Played some of the better sides lately. When we played the more average teams we got 3 clean sheets in a row, 4 conceded in 8. Really don't think our defence is that big of a problem, not as good as a Wolves or Sheff Utd last year but infinitely better than our own was

Oh no we are top of the league lets find something to moan about :-) only 4 teams have conceded less than us and only of these have played the same amount of games as us. We've conceded goals against two of the in form and free scoring teams in the last two home games but we still beat them. Everything is fine nothing to see here :-)

As your man Sparkz said, he's not being negative, I doubt he's moaning (or at least if he is it's because of his heart by the sound of it) more just pointing out an area for improvement. We ain't perfect, we never will be therefore there will always be something to moan about/improve upon, (which of these you choose will depend on how you look at it/your view on life).

He did state - twice - he appreciated he might be sounding negative but didn't intend that. He even ended with the words this is not a moan. Blimey, how much clearer can you be? Not so much 'there are always people who want to have a moan' more 'there are always people ready to tell you that you're moaning...even if you indicate - in those exact words - you're not'.

The fact that I agree with Sparkz, does make me more in his camp than the camp labelling him a moaner... (everyone's entitled to their choice of calling someone a moaner, of course...)

Personally I've gone from looking for clean sheets in the first few games to hoping we'll equal/outscore the opposition now. I think this might be a trend that continues. The more we talk ourselves up and get talked up as being 'expansive' and 'exciting' (two words Cotts has used), the more Little and Bryan will be getting forward and inevitably leaving gaps. 

I guess if we were less likely to score Cotts would ask them to stay back more/change formation to defend more solidly. But we have goals in us and he appears willing to throw a little caution to the wind in exploiting the variety of goalscorers we possess (someone said on another post that Ayling is now the only regular to not score. And it's only mid-October). Aiming to capitalise on our abilities in the final third means we will get caught. Not necessarily on the break, just caught with numbers up top in normal play, caught dwelling on the ball (something all of our midfield have been guilty of so far, Elliott especially) and caught trying to spring from defence to attack and losing the ball with men ahead of it.

It's weird cos Cotts appears completely the opposite to this almost gung-ho attitude in his use of subs: he waits every single game till they've made all theirs and then sends players on to merely shore (sure?) things up. Very cagey. And it's at odds with his more attack-minded ideas from the first minute.

I think some defensive wobblies are here to stay this season; it's rare a team has a rock-solid parsimonious defence and a red-hot attack. Let's hope we can keep the one of them...

Good pointz, Sparkz...

Its not so much the number of goals we are conceding, more that we seem incapable of holding onto a lead. Pegged back twice yesterday, once at Walsall and we threw away 2 goal leads in our two games previous to that. Cotterill doesnt seem to be learning that we cant keep sitting back and inviting the opposition onto us. We've got away with it so far because our midfield and forward line are excellent but we'll be found out soon if we dont tighten up.

I can't honesty say I thought that was happening on Saturday. Two moments of laxness led to the goals. We were going for it throughout, although, as Cotts has accepted, we were less effective in the 4-3-3 formation he adopted after Smith went off.

I can't honesty say I thought that was happening on Saturday. Two moments of laxness led to the goals. We were going for it throughout, although, as Cotts has accepted, we were less effective in the 4-3-3 formation he adopted after Smith went off.

Fair point. Notwithstanding the good teams we have played, it is slightly disappointing to have conceeding quite so many recently through defensive mistakes.

Our attacking style means we will most likely conceed a few more to, but reducing the indivdual errors will help to. Will always be some, but being greedy would like a few 2-0s!

I was very pleased with the performance by the way. we rattled the woodwork twice and created loads of chances. Obviously playing wing backs or having full backs as attacking as ours were always going to be stretched on the counter attack. I was really disappointed with the way we conceded the penalty as we had several chances to clear and thought sometimes we try to overplay the ball playing out from the back,

Thanks for your support Huntstile Red

I was very pleased with the performance by the way. we rattled the woodwork twice and created loads of chances. Obviously playing wing backs or having full backs as attacking as ours were always going to be stretched on the counter attack. I was really disappointed with the way we conceded the penalty as we had several chances to clear and thought sometimes we try to overplay the ball playing out from the back,

Thanks for your support Huntstile Red

Not just Elliott dilly-dallying on the ball too much, Bryan did too for their first, as you mention. Our confidence on the ball goes a touch too far sometimes, we could do with just passing earlier/playing it more safely/wellying it. But these things will happen, so it's how we cope with gifting goals away or individual errors that matters. And, fair play, we are showing team character to come back in games having conceded...

No probz, Sparkz!

Archived