IGNORED

Our Finest Hour At Coventry

where's the joy

Anyone know what the official City support was that day?

I was working in Bridgwater at the time and remember driving up to Coventry in my battered Ford Cortina, as others have said one of the best (if not the best) City memory ever and that includes Anfield in the F.A. cup replay.

Wasn't born in time but have seen footage of Jimmy Hill in the City changing room gleefully shaking everyone's hand and congratulating us for the jolly good show.

I regret missing out on ye Goode olde days sometimes :(

My best memory of Coventry was Scotty scoring in a 2-0 Cup replay. There must've been nye on 4000 of us up there that night.

i was booked on a bus from ashton gate which didn't turn up - another city cock up !! i then drove to coventry with my girlfriend and a man and his son who agreed to help pay the petrol. we didn't get there till half time but saw the best of the match - wonder if any of the other people on that bus are out there who didn't make it

Wasn't born in time but have seen footage of Jimmy Hill in the City changing room gleefully shaking everyone's hand and congratulating us for the jolly good show.

I remember Peter Godsiff writing in his Evening Post report, something along the lines of:

"I shall never forget Jimmy Hill the Coventry chairman, who normally extols the virtues of sportsmanship, storming into the press box like a demented bison, yelling "Get that effing score up now!!!" "

its got to be coming back to get a 2-2 at the old highfield road, thanks to the 2 G's gillies and gow.

their hutchison played us off the park, but we scrambled our way back in; and thanks to jimmy hill posting the sunderland score we didn't play for the last ten minutes, as both sides knew a draw was enough for both to stay up.

bcfc faithful turned out in force that night and we drunk up thee cider on the way home. still in the top division

As I said above the length of time has become exaggerated over the years.

According to a Jimmy Hill interview, given some years ago, the City match actually kicked off just 5 minutes after the Everton/Sunderland fixture and the final score of that match was put up with about 4 minutes remaining at Highfield Road.

The same 5 minute delay in KO is also recorded in Bristol City: The Modern Era, A Complete Record, by David Woods.

The last 3-4 minutes were indeed a farce, with City players passing it around in their own half with no attempt by the Coventry players to intercept, bar their forward Ian Wallace who somehow didn't seem to have got the message.

Funny, it's one of those events that is celebrated by us as fans of the team on the "right" end of the result, however imagine the gas had been in a similar situation on that fateful day and done the same I'm sure we'd be in uproar about how despicable it is...

Oh to be a rose-tinted football fan!

Funny, it's one of those events that is celebrated by us as fans of the team on the "right" end of the result, however imagine the gas had been in a similar situation on that fateful day and done the same I'm sure we'd be in uproar about how despicable it is...

Oh to be a rose-tinted football fan!

A Sunderland fan in my office never spoke to me again - which was fine by me because I never understood a word he said :)

Have to say whilst a couple of years ago, this thread I read at the time just shows how bitter and twisted many Sunderland fans still are about it all. They forget whilst we were picking up unexpected results, they were royally screwing it up!

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/coventry-plane-if-relegated.664589/page-2

Made me laugh.

Have to say whilst a couple of years ago, this thread I read at the time just shows how bitter and twisted many Sunderland fans still are about it all. They forget whilst we were picking up unexpected results, they were royally screwing it up!

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/coventry-plane-if-relegated.664589/page-2

Made me laugh.

Jesus!

What a sad, sad bunch. Funny how we're not taking the stick when we were apart of it aswell.

Telling a 20 something  city mate I take to work about it and he cant image 38k + and 36k crowds..

Did we send Spurs down that season as well at Ashton gate remember all the trouble after.

We did!

I remember beating them at WHL 1-0 Keith Fear got on the end of a cross...We beat the 1-0 at home to I think but cant quite remember the game

Don't forget that both sides kicked lumps out of eachother for 85 mins as there was so much at stake!

Speaking of video footage on the "Great Escape" DVD just after the shot of AD in the dressing room after the match, the camera pans out toward the pitch and there's me with me kid brother on my shoulders - him in his City shirt! The club did a "where are they now" article when we played Cov at AG in that Cup game I think. We had to send them a picture of him on my shoulders again. Gert lump now weighs a ton and we had to cheat with me sitting on a wall  :D

Wonderful night.

Is it on this one ??

Is it on this one ??

Thass eee. 6.49 into that great video. Our picture was all over HTV at the time which gave a lot of happiness to our Nan who lived in Bristol. I've won the half time draw twice and won the competition to name the greatest City side ever and won two tickets for the Centenary Dinner - that's how just about famous I get!  :winner_third_h4h: 

Is it this??

Last time I was in Coventry, I can't remember them all speaking with American accents .........

TFR

P.S. Any sags watching this - the horse would be vulnerable to a right upper-cut, or a quick combination to the crown jewels.

Archived