IGNORED

Credit To Frankie Fielding

Londoner

I'm sure there have been a few Fielding threads so far this season, but have to say how impressed I've been with him this season.

Yea his distribution could improve, but he looks a completely different player to last season and is yet to make a mistake that has lead to a goal.

Last season he was awful at the start, but is there a better keeper in this league than FF?

It's really good to see him prove the doubters wrong, keep it up!

I'm sure there have been a few Fielding threads so far this season, but have to say how impressed I've been with him this season.

Yea his distribution could improve, but he looks a completely different player to last season and is yet to make a mistake that has lead to a goal.

Last season he was awful at the start, but is there a better keeper in this league than FF?

It's really good to see him prove the doubters wrong, keep it up!

The lack of FF threads over the last few weeks have been evidence enough that he's proving his doubters wrong by silencing them.

That said, one cock up and they'll be out in force, belittling our own player and claiming they were right all along and he's the worst player ever.

But that's just how it goes apparently.

I wouldn't say Fielding is the best keeper in the league.... he has improved that's for sure. I still see him as the "weak link" in the team but it's not anything to be concerned about as he hasn't let us down so far this season. No blunders or "what the hell was he thinking" from Fielding so far. As long as the defence keep protecting him and he has little to do, then all is good. If we were to be promoted though I don't think I'd like to see him as our number 1 in the championship...

He's a good keeper, went through a poor season and came out the other side a better player.

I couldnt care about previous seasons, he lacked confidence before he came here and it showed, now we are seeing a different player, no need to punish him for past mistakes.

He's shown he is more than capable at this level, we shall see if he can play higher hopefully, maybe he is working his way back to the talented keeper he obviously once was.

Like we did with David James.

Or Heaton. Outstanding for us in the Championship when we were relegated. If we're promoted, the confidence in the team will be sky high and it would be wrong to then go and remove Fielding for another no 1. 

Heaton & James both had a shower of S*** in front of them, and that was where the problems came from. 

Or Heaton. Outstanding for us in the Championship when we were relegated. If we're promoted, the confidence in the team will be sky high and it would be wrong to then go and remove Fielding for another no 1.

Heaton & James both had a shower of S*** in front of them, and that was where the problems came from.

In fairness, Jamo barely being able to kick the halfway line didn't help. His knees had long gone and it put us under pressure.

Goalkeepers are like referee's if no one is talking about them they are doing a good job. No one is talking about Fielding so he's doing a good job, however he still doesn't dominate his area for me.. There was a moment yesterday when there was a loose ball, Williams was screaming for Fielding to get it and he was hesitant, luckily it bounced out for a corner but that is an area he has to improve.

He's getting there I think, though it amazes me how often he manages to kick it out of play from a goal kick or drop kick.

I mean he's literally stood in the middle of the pitch, horizontally. Kicking it out of play from there is about the most difficult thing you can do!

Right, this one really grab's my goat...

He's quite clearly under instructions to kick the ball into the wide areas, he wouldn't do it as often as he does if he wasn't. Nothing wrong with that, but kicking it wide is the the hardest distribution for a keeper to get right as the margin for error is so small. Over-hit it and it's out of play. Under-hit it and the wing-back is overcommitted and we're a man down.

Still, I'd rather that than kicking it down the middle, at least creating width from goal kicks and clearances gives us a chance of creating something. Down the middle is counterproductive. 

He's quite clearly under instructions to kick the ball into the wide areas, he wouldn't do it as often as he does if he wasn't. Nothing wrong with that, but kicking it wide is the the hardest distribution for a keeper to get right as the margin for error is so small. Over-hit it and it's out of play. Under-hit it and the wing-back is overcommitted and we're a man down.

Still, I'd rather that than kicking it down the middle, at least creating width from goal kicks and clearances gives us a chance of creating something. Down the middle is counterproductive.

Spot on.

In fairness, Jamo barely being able to kick the halfway line didn't help. His knees had long gone and it put us under pressure.

Can't remember mentioning James in my earlier post, but with regards to him in a BCFC shirt, I don't think he was ever the problem. Having one of the worst City defences I can remember in front of him was. 

Out of play is more counterproductive!

Down the middle and its 50/50 that we'll get possession. Concede a throw in and the odds are slightly worse!!

Ok maybe he's under instruction to kick there (though personally would have though Cotterill would give him some scope to read the field and make a decision based on what's ahead of him) but you should still be keeping it in play more often than not!

Agree.

And it doesn't go out that often.

Out of play is more counterproductive!

Down the middle and its 50/50 that we'll get possession. Concede a throw in and the odds are slightly worse!!

Ok maybe he's under instruction to kick there (though personally would have though Cotterill would give him some scope to read the field and make a decision based on what's ahead of him) but you should still be keeping it in play more often than not!

He does kick it in play more often than out....and if SC wants him to kick it to the wide areas (pretty obvious tbh) I'm not sure he would be happy if FF decides to just pump it down the middle

Just Brett has got this spot on.

I can't be the only one Turtling when the ball gets played back to him or when he comes for a cross.

If we can go up then I'd be inclined to go after Swindons keeper or the number 2 at Forest who used to play for Wolves.

Turtling!! I love it, I love it! And on that bumpy pitch at the Richo (natch) my heart was beyond being in my mouth a few times. I could see Keith Welch at WBA all over again. Or was it Ronnie Sinclair? Leaning? Jan Moller? Harry Clay? Tommy Ware? Bert Trautmann?

Goalkeepers are like referee's if no one is talking about them they are doing a good job. No one is talking about Fielding so he's doing a good job, however he still doesn't dominate his area for me.. There was a moment yesterday when there was a loose ball, Williams was screaming for Fielding to get it and he was hesitant, luckily it bounced out for a corner but that is an area he has to improve.

I talk about him quite a bit, TBF (to be Frank), IMHO, BTW.

Archived