IGNORED

Lamela's Goal Last Night .

Major Isewater

Personally I don't have any issue with it- embarrassing the opposition can have implications on the rest of the game and perhaps even the rest of a season. An embarrassed player may go into their shell or might react and get sent off etc 

I imagine the heads of Asteras dropped not only as it was the second goal but also because of the style of it. They were probably thinking "what the hell can we possibly do to stop players who can do this???".

Many moons ago as a teenager I played in a game that the oppositions forward scored what can only be described as a Van Basten-esque spinning 360 degree scorpion Cruyff back heel at a corner (or a back heel from the edge of the box) We had only played and beaten them comfortably 3 weeks before but this goal stunned us (its not every week you see a spinning Van Basten-esque 360 degree scorpion cruyff back heel) we lost this game 5-1. I realise that I am far from being a professional footballer but football is a very psychological game.

At the end of the day what was the worst that could of happened if he had missed? He would have looked a numpty and spurs might not have won. But he did score and he probably got in the oppositions head.

To me this is no different to Pirlo and his dinked penalties, if the keeper stands still and catches it everyone questions why he did it- he scores and he is class and he got inside the keepers head.

But ,Higuita and to a lesser extent Lamela risked injury unecessarily just to show off when they could more easily i imagine have achieved the same result in an equally spectacular but more conventional manner.

Anyway thanks to Lamela we have a new thread subject for today .

The rabona is performed by many and can have a positive outcome. The scorpion kick is totally different. The two can't be compared.

The rabona does not carry a increased risk of injury when properly practised nor do similar variants e.g Neymar hocus pocus. The trick is about detail and practice e.g placement of standing leg to create the space.

Fabulous goal but can anybody tell me if he is really one footed, not having seen him play before? It's one thing saying he has worked really hard to do this, but if he can only use one foot then maybe he was working on the wrong thing, given being 2 footed is a lot more useful in a match. Regardless, i agree it's the sort of thing you watch football for!

Archived