IGNORED

Should We Change Our Formation

healeyred

I would go with a 4-3-3

Fielding 

Little            Flint                                  Williams            Cunningham 

Ayling

Elliott                                 Smith

Agard                             Willbraham                      Freeman

Some people think a formation change will wave some magic wand and we'll go back to winning 3-0 every game. 4 at the back means less protection of Flint, Little loves to bomb forward so will leave massive gaps at the back and will Agard be willing to be in a "shift" as a RW when he's been playing as a striker?

3-5-2 is fine, it's down to the players concentration

Some people think a formation change will wave some magic wand and we'll go back to winning 3-0 every game. 4 at the back means less protection of Flint, Little loves to bomb forward so will leave massive gaps at the back and will Agard be willing to be in a "shift" as a RW when he's been playing as a striker?

3-5-2 is fine, it's down to the players concentration

Are you blaming our horrendous defensive frailties on concentration levels? Have a word!

Are you blaming our horrendous defensive frailties on concentration levels? Have a word!

Yeah, you go to the game today?? First half we were excellent defensively. Couldn't fault them at all, then second half we completely collapsed.. A formation change or going to a back 4 won't mean we immediately keep clean sheets.

I would go with a 4-3-3

Fielding 

Little            Flint                                  Williams            Cunningham 

Ayling

Elliott                                 Smith

Agard                             Willbraham                      Freeman

Is that you Cott's...?

Don't have a go at healeyred for suggesting this. Most teams change formation at some point during a season for a variety of reasons. It's the same with the players. No matter how well the team has performed previously, it's sometimes necessary to make a change. Successful managers know when and how to do this

Yeah, you go to the game today?? First half we were excellent defensively. Couldn't fault them at all, then second half we completely collapsed.. A formation change or going to a back 4 won't mean we immediately keep clean sheets.

No I didn't but I have been to 10 games. When he sets the team up, the players and team will have roles and responsibilities. This is where it's going wrong... We're not doing enough defensively.

Firstly I was not at the match so cannot comment first hand.

I don't know if it is lapses in concentration.

We appear to be treading a very fine line in tactics that is apparently being repeated in many games.

First half, we attack with abandon, pushing sides back. Most managers tactics are more cautious in first halves than the way SC wants us to play.

Then in second half, after the "let's get at them" talk from the other manager, we find ourselves pushed back.

The important thing then is that perhaps we are not holding the defensive line high enough? It could be a very small difference like one metre or two.

The midfield drop back a couple of metres too far and the strikers become isolated? So the ball starts coming back toward our goal with amazing and rapid regularity.

Clearly SC and his team will be working on this all the week in training. It is possible that because we have such a young team, especially at the back, that knowing where to hold the midfield and back three lines, is something that will come with experience. In which case, let's hope they are quick learners.

'Horrendous'? Had a quick run-down the GA tally in the league table yesterday, and we have something like the 7th best defensive record in the division. We're top in the GF column.

Top goal scorers and 7th least goals conceded, at the end of the season, will do me.

All i am saying is i think we have been found out so do we try something different 

Fair point. My thought is that we're 15 games into the season with a side that is gelling and perhaps we should have faith in what has worked so far and be aiming to do what we do now more effectively rather than change things. 

'Horrendous'? Had a quick run-down the GA tally in the league table yesterday, and we have something like the 7th best defensive record in the division. We're top in the GF column.

Top goal scorers and 7th least goals conceded, at the end of the season, will do me.

Yes and yet no.

Best goal difference , 7th best goals against and top goals scored.... that's the yes, and that is the season so far and very good.

I think the concern comes , or at least is highlighted by the last 8 games or so.  

Conceded 13 , and judging by what I've seen and heard and by reports that could have been worse (yeah I know could have , if my Auntie.... ). Luckily our scoring form is exceptional and we have scored 20 for a GD of 7 , equal 5th in that time.

I think that most people would see a strong defence as a prerequisite to a successful promotion push , the scoring of gut loads of goals has been brilliant but if they dry up and you can't keep clean sheets it spells trouble.

As for change of formation , SC said he'd been trying to get us to a 3-4-3 which could be quite interesting. I think we have the players to play different formations whether we will or not will been seen shortly.  I'd quite like to see Freeman unleashed further forward , he'd be very dangerous.

Yes and yet no.

Best goal difference , 7th best goals against and top goals scored.... that's the yes, and that is the season so far and very good.

I think the concern comes , or at least is highlighted by the last 8 games or so.  

Conceded 13 , and judging by what I've seen and heard and by reports that could have been worse (yeah I know could have , if my Auntie.... ). Luckily our scoring form is exceptional and we have scored 20 for a GD of 7 , equal 5th in that time.

I think that most people would see a strong defence as a prerequisite to a successful promotion push , the scoring of gut loads of goals has been brilliant but if they dry up and you can't keep clean sheets it spells trouble.

As for change of formation , SC said he'd been trying to get us to a 3-4-3 which could be quite interesting. I think we have the players to play different formations whether we will or not will been seen shortly.  I'd quite like to see Freeman unleashed further forward , he'd be very dangerous.

Record in the last eight: P8 W4 D4 L0 F20 A13 Pts16/24

Isolated use of the statistic A13, as well as the assertion that our goal scoring is due to 'luck' and a one-sided use of the hypothetical 'if's, buts and maybes' then it is a very biased assessment. 

Love to see Freeman influence games as much as possible as he is supremely talented at this level, must improve on his final product though, imo.  Too many dead end dribbles.  Don't know about 3-4-3, I literally do not have an opinion.

I don't believe we need to change formation.

The 3-5-2 basis (or is it 3-4-1-2?) can be and is being very easily adjusted to 4-4-2 as the game demands.

Watch Joe Bryan drop back giving a back four Ayling Flint Williams Bryan.

Leaves a midfield four Little Elliott Smith Freeman.

As I have said elsewhere our problem could be defending too deep or the midfield dropping off too much, leaving the front two isolated.

A formation change really isn't needed. We're top of the league. The key I think is player rotation and using our squad to it's full effect, and I believe that bringing in maybe 2-3 new faces in January will be really important if we want automatic promotion. Maybe a few loanee's? Who knows, but I feel that we need to bring in another striker, and another midfielder in the Wade Elliot mould who is 10 years younger. 

We should have a few different games in our locker to keep the opposition guessing. They're able to prepare better when they know for certain what to expect from us. Mixing it up a bit should be easy given the players we've got at our disposal. Other teams at the moment are setting up to counter us but changing the gameplan from time to time will nullify this. Top teams can do this, it's gotta be worth a try IMO.

Archived