IGNORED

South African Captain Senzo Meyiwa Murdered In Robbery

Steve Watts

And it is stories like these, which are not altogether uncommon in South Africa, which make me cringe every time I hear someone from the UK talk about the Oscar Pistorious trial. Until you live there, and experience the fear that having any modest sum of money - let alone the sort of money celebrities have, it is impossible for us to suggest what is a reasonable fear and a reasonable response.

And it is stories like these, which are not altogether uncommon in South Africa, which make me cringe every time I hear someone from the UK talk about the Oscar Pistorious trial. Until you live there, and experience the fear that having any modest sum of money - let alone the sort of money celebrities have, it is impossible for us to suggest what is a reasonable fear and a reasonable response.

Beat me to it, 29AR.

You've obviously lived there so know what it's like. Is it generally accepted that it's ok to shoot first and ask questions after?

In particular, when someone is having a piss?

You've obviously lived there so know what it's like. Is it generally accepted that it's ok to shoot first and ask questions after?

In particular, when someone is having a piss?

Only lived for six months on a secondment from work, but even that had me on the verge of resigning and coming back at points. In parts, at times, it is a lovely, lovely, remarkable place. But, when you arrive at your hotel and are told do not walk 2 streets behind the hotel, do not take any taxi's you haven't booked on reception, do not go anywhere without a local who you trust, you get the idea.

I sense an undertone of facetiousness in your questionning, if so that is exactly what makes me cringe. You have this death, you have Dewani on trial for an alleged arranged murder for truly remarkably trivial sums, you have OP/RS. This is just what is reported in UK press. I found there was always a sense of fear or unnease out there, and any intruder would without doubt adopt a shoot first policy... The fear out there is very real and life is disgustingly cheap. There is a reason anyone with money lives in these very high security compounds and why, even still, robberies and murders are not uncommon.

I am not trying to justify what he did, but I certainly don't find it inconceivable in the slightest.

Only lived for six months on a secondment from work, but even that had me on the verge of resigning and coming back at points. In parts, at times, it is a lovely, lovely, remarkable place. But, when you arrive at your hotel and are told do not walk 2 streets behind the hotel, do not take any taxi's you haven't booked on reception, do not go anywhere without a local who you trust, you get the idea.

I 'liked' this earlier because I have been there and 'seen it, done it'; but I thought I would just add a bit more for those who have not.

South Africa is an absolutely beautiful country, as several have mentioned previously - it is full of beautiful people (of all creeds and colours), beautiful scenery/countryside and a vast array of sights, sounds and colours (and food!) that, unless you have been there or to similar countries you could not not possibly begin to imagine.

But. Beware. 

When the locals and/or hotels tell you not to walk out at night alone: Don't do it!

Archived