IGNORED

The Anti-Campaign Movement

WTFiGO!?!

If you have been affected by any of the issues raised on this thread, you do not need to suffer in silence.

Speak to your GP, local mental health councellor, or simply come to Ashton Gate this saturday, and let Lee Johnson feel the full force of your spleen. Help IS out there.

TFR

• Admin

Stopober, Movember, Ice Bucket Challanges blah blah blah

How about a 'fuck you and your stupid child-like campaigns!' campaign?

Only thing that I would say if someone's awareness is raised and as a result manage to detect something in time to be treated the cause has to be worth while.

Equally any money raised for research has to be a good thing

The op was in response to an ad telling me to grow a 'tache.

I'm finding this trend in social media somewhat dangerous, exploitative and cynical. The op satisfied my own need to express the importance of autonomous, informed, decision making. Something I didn't witness much of in the Summer.

I take your point as fair but, given my perspective, people earning six-figured salaries from 'not for profit' organisations doesn't particularly reassure me that all is quite right.

Here's a few articles you may wish to peruse:

http://anh-europe.org/news/challenging-the-thinking-behind-the-ice-bucket-challenge?utm_source=The+Alliance+for+Natural+Health&utm_campaign=bddb727d31-140611_ANH_Intl_eAlert_No_2138_27_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_aea8a87544-bddb727d31-84946667

http://www.infowars.com/ice-bucket-challenge-als-foundation-admits-less-than-27-of-donations-fund-research-cures/

Now come sign up to throw Lee Johnson at a giant Velcro dart board. Given he's at fault for all life's woes, we should make a packet.

Don't forget that November is "Take a hedgehog to the match" month. A worthy cause and well worth supporting.

I can't go that far, but I'm taking my eldest daughter today. I expect her to hog the packet of Starburst I carry for sustenance and be a bit pr.ickly if I suggest she doesn't understand the off-side rule. Which she doesn't.

Help for Heros is an interesting one - not least because the slightly less fashionable and much longer establishef Legion has suffered since its creation - there are are also some voices suggestion HFH are puppets to the MoD and basically help fund their shortfallings in looking after veterans by getting HFH to foot the cost - such as the new MoD hospital they are entirely building I beleive?

Back on the general topic though I absolutely hate Chuggers and it amazes me that charities still persist with them - I guess they must still bring in funds?

Whenever I see the phrase "raising awareness" used as an excuse for anything I reach for my shotgun.

That phrase is the last resort of the purposeless pointless stunt.

"Let's fill a swimming pool full of custard and dress as characters from the Batman films before jumping into it.  We can say it's for raisng awareness of XXXXX otherwise people will recognise it for the stupid stunt it actually is."

I can't go that far, but I'm taking my eldest daughter today. I expect her to hog the packet of Starburst I carry for sustenance and be a bit pr.ickly if I suggest she doesn't understand the off-side rule. Which she doesn't.

Does anybody? Even Horace gets it wrong sometimes :(

Have PMed DaveL and apparently Lee is only to keen to do anything he can to increase midget awareness. They are easily missed, after all. See you on the pitch at half time tomorrow.

Bloody LJ.  Cowered in the dressing room at half time so we couldn't fling him at the dartboard.  I am gutted.  Sod midget awareness, no more of my money.

Help for Heros is an interesting one - not least because the slightly less fashionable and much longer establishef Legion has suffered since its creation - there are are also some voices suggestion HFH are puppets to the MoD and basically help fund their shortfallings in looking after veterans by getting HFH to foot the cost - such as the new MoD hospital they are entirely building I beleive?

Back on the general topic though I absolutely hate Chuggers and it amazes me that charities still persist with them - I guess they must still bring in funds?

Not the only example of the Legion being undercut. Now disgusting groups such as 'Britain first' sell poppy emblazoned paraphernalia but have no charitable outgoings.

At least HFH is offering something positive. Fascists stealing the poppy makes it all the more likely that people will forget the true message of it. 

There's no glory in war. 

Not the only example of the Legion being undercut. Now disgusting groups such as 'Britain first' sell poppy emblazoned paraphernalia but have no charitable outgoings.

At least HFH is offering something positive. Fascists stealing the poppy makes it all the more likely that people will forget the true message of it.

There's no glory in war.

Scum. Simply scum. To wave the flag while ripping off ex-servicemen is as low as it gets.

There's no glory in war. 

Which is why I often find remembrance day uncomfortable because so many of the hymns and opinions are that of 'the brave lads who died heroicly in battle for our country.' It is about remembering the loss, the devastation and the needless, savage loss of life and that we should never do it again. 

Jerusalem is great for sport but I feel is inappropriate on 11/11

Which is why I often find remembrance day uncomfortable because so many of the hymns and opinions are that of 'the brave lads who died heroicly in battle for our country.' It is about remembering the loss, the devastation and the needless, savage loss of life and that we should never do it again.

Jerusalem is about the possibility that Jesus visited England, and musing on building a more religious country here in modern times. It's not actually patriotic, when you read the words.

Remembrance, much like the poppy has been ambushed by far-right groups and nationalists as some kind of 'proud to be British' thing. I wear my poppy to acknowledge those who have fallen, who have laid down their lives at the say-so of cowardly 'leaders'. These people who paid the ultimate sacrifice deserve our respect, and above all else our compassion. Many died for no good reason, simply on the whim of a bunch of antiquated relics of a by-gone era of empire. Many died fighting the evils of fascism and hatred. It strikes me as odd that the people those men and women (of all creeds, colours and religions) died because of or to stop are the ones who now clamour over each other to make the most patriotic statements and capitalise on our engrained empathy with the armed forces. 

It's a sad state of affairs when you feel that the poppy, something so pure and simple, has been tarnished to the point where you have to explain your decision to wear it. Not because you feel it might upset a muslim or whatever else the right are peddling, but because they have stolen this symbol and I never want to be associated with them. I respect the fallen too much to sympathise with fascist ideologies.

The hymn was popular at the time. It is also a solemn and uplifting one. Also please note a lot of us who serve/served in the Forces are fully in support of such hymns.

Were you to ask me and many others about the politicians presence, then I would like to see the whole damn lot kept the hell out.

Archived