IGNORED

Taunton To Parson Street

Bat Fastard

The parking in my usual places has dried up and there are so many new parking restrictions that I am now considering using British Rail to get to matches. It looks difficult for evening games but viable on Saturdays.

Has anyone had any experience of using this service - or any other ideas?

I can normally get home by 6.15pm by car - but it looks like I will have to add an hour by train.

The parking restrictions on the other side of the river are now wicked because you are guaranteed to get a parking ticket if you go to a match!! Parking any where near Ashton Gare and it takes ages to get back on to the motorway to Taunton. With advancing age this is starting to be a real problem. Any ideas or advice would be welcome!

The parking in my usual places has dried up and there are so many new parking restrictions that I am now considering using British Rail to get to matches. It looks difficult for evening games but viable on Saturdays.

I can normally get home by 6.15pm by car - but it looks like I will have to add an hour by train.

The parking restrictions on the other side of the river are now wicked because you are guaranteed to get a parking ticket if you go to a match!! Parking any where near Ashton Gare and it takes ages to get back on to the motorway to Taunton. With advancing age this is starting to be a real problem. Any ideas or advice would be welcome!

Just to add, if you drive.. why not park down Ashton vale Lane (industrial estate). If I go with my mate, we park there and no problems.. just 10min getting out depending where you are situated :)

Well I tend to go North from Parson Street rather than South but after the game both trains tend to turn up at the same time around 5:30ish, you'll be back in Taunton by 630 methinks.

Thanks - that sounds promising. I live around 4 miles from the station but it sound "doable".

Park and ride from Avonmouth. Stops by the bear last bus back is about 1900

Thanks for that DWC - that looks to be the perfect place to park. Is that street parking or paying one of the local firms in the area? Is it first came first served?

Street parking pal, loads of cars parked up the road right to the very end... there is a car park which you can park in but you have to pay, did it once but its pretty disorganised and can take a long time to get out.

I am sure there are others on here who park along the road to who can vouch for what I have said.

I did the exact route yesterday, got back into taunton at 6:50 :)

Plenty of on street parking within 20 minutes of the ground. If you're going to walk to parson street you might as well consider parking on the resi roads around there - you'll have no trouble even at 2:30.

I did the exact route yesterday, got back into taunton at 6:50 :)

Do you mean that you used the train? I was home yesterday by 6.15 and that included picking up our family takeaway order as I went through North Petherton! ( maybe that's why I am a Bat Fastard!). I will try the train but the Ashton Vale Lane option sounds favourite - so will try that as well. I have been parking next to the swing bridge for 25 years or more - but it is now full every time I go there and there are new limited parking times along the road next to the river. The mayor is clearly very Anti football.

Do you mean that you used the train? I was home yesterday by 6.15 and that included picking up our family takeaway order as I went through North Petherton! ( maybe that's why I am a Bat Fastard!). I will try the train but the Ashton Vale Lane option sounds favourite - so will try that as well. I have been parking next to the swing bridge for 25 years or more - but it is now full every time I go there and there are new limited parking times along the road next to the river. The mayor is clearly very Anti football.

Anti everything bar clowns on bicycles :(

To call him a 'tosser' is unfair to harmless masturbators :(

As an addition for a different starting point, I come by train from Frome and on Saturdays I can get a train at 12.39 changing at Temple Meads to Parson Street. Stops at Westbury, Trowbridge, Bradford on Avon, Bath,Keynsham.

Return trip is 5.35 from Parson St and 5.49 from TM.

Same inward journey for Tuesday evening but ABus back to TM for 10.22 to Westbury or 10.49 to Frome.

Much easier and I now get a beer before the game because I don't drink if I'm driving.

Plenty of on street parking within 20 minutes of the ground. If you're going to walk to parson street you might as well consider parking on the resi roads around there - you'll have no trouble even at 2:30.

I have tried thi in the past and then spent nearly an hour getting back onto the Portway. I wonder how long it will be before the mayor blocks off this area as well! Aizoon describes him brilliantly!

I have tried thi in the past and then spent nearly an hour getting back onto the Portway. I wonder how long it will be before the mayor blocks off this area as well! Aizoon describes him brilliantly!

Why the portway?

Portishead junction 19(?) is ten minutes from AG.

I park near Aldi, only real hold up is turning right near the park and joining the main road.

Living in West Dorset, I've found the best way to get to AG on a Saturday is by train from Taunton to Parson St. Cheap too. Plenty of off peak trains available in the morning (change at TM). The return from Parson St is at 5.30, needs a brisk walk up Winterstoke Rd to make it (change at Weston). If you miss it, you wait an hour for the next one.

Living in West Dorset, I've found the best way to get to AG on a Saturday is by train from Taunton to Parson St. Cheap too. Plenty of off peak trains available in the morning (change at TM). The return from Parson St is at 5.30, needs a brisk walk up Winterstoke Rd to make it (change at Weston). If you miss it, you wait an hour for the next one.

It sounds like an heroic effort to get out of the Dolman, have a pee, walk to Parson Street by 5.30 or have to wait an hour if you miss the train. Maybe 20 years ago when I still had a iron bladder and could walk quite quickly. If I was under pressure to catch a train it would ruin my match day experience - what with the changes at TM - and the rush to change platforms in 5 minutes, or miss the train and having to wait for an hour.......I think the train may be a little too heroic for a fat old git!!

I get to J19 by going down the Portway

The Portishead road is quicker, and you join the motorway after the avonmouth bridge.

If you get on before the bridge must be jct 18, and driving down the portway is slow with all the traffic lights

There's quite a few people that catch the train from Taunton, I did his trip yestrday and got back to Taunton station at 18:14 - Taunton to BTM, grab some food and drink catch the 2:25 down to parson street. After the game catch the abus back to BTM and catch the 17:45 train back to Taunton.

Archived