IGNORED

Skyscrapers & City Skylines.

The Batman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29884205

The World Trade Centre re-opened today. The iconic 2 towers will always be in my memory, not just from my visit there all those years ago, but from scenes from the movies too.

Just wondering what people think of major cities and their respective surroundings.

Me personally, I love tall buildings, taller the better, but you also get people who complain about ruining the scenery that is already there. Believe it or not, there was a law in London that no building could be taller than St Paul's Cathedral, but this was repealed in the 1960's when the BT Tower was built, since then, so many have popped up, the Gherkin, the Shard and all that jazz, and they are looking to build again directly around the Cathedral, pretty much wiping it out of view from all around.

The City Centre of Bristol as we have all seen has changed dramatically over the years from the days prior to Cabot Circus being built, but that was a sign of the times that the City had to develop, and I doubt it ruined anyone's view from their house.

I do also love my historical views, none better than this one here

. Ashton_Gate_%26_Bridge.jpg

If I lived where this photo was taken and someone decided to build the Willis tower in the way, I'd be pretty annoyed.

I suppose it would be down to what you are used to in the area in which you live. In my sector of work, you get asked by people occasionally if they can claim against / take to court developers who build in between their property and the sea view that they used to have because it reduces sale values etc.

Does anyone have a favourite building, any particular city they enjoy the look of, are cities becoming too similar, will the world just end up like Mega City in the Judge Dredd stories??

I love tall buildings too, whenever I'm in London I try to go to Canary Wharf and well, just look up. I've never been to New York so it's the nearest I'm going to get I suppose, all be it on a smaller scale. I went to London twice last week and even though I've been to some of the places I've visited before it always looks different.

I love the contrast of the old and the new. I take lots of photographs and one day hope to get a really stunning one. I like to photograph in Black and White or pick out one colour (usually red) and have had some good results. Funnily enough I travel around London or other places taking 100's of photos, spending whole days doing so but rarely do I find the time to do the same in Bristol, my home city. I really must make the effort.

There is a ruling from the 70s that nothing taller than St Mary Redcliffe will be built in Bristol - I know it's a bit of NIMBYism in a way but I actually do like the fact from any side of Bristol you can pretty much see from one side to another.

What we do have height wise in Bristol is pretty awful. Castlemead is the tallest I think.

Mind you you can get a good photo from the top of a big building, the derelict froomsgate house has been the best place of late..

frooms.jpg

There is a ruling from the 70s that nothing taller than St Mary Redcliffe will be built in Bristol - I know it's a bit of NIMBYism in a way but I actually do like the fact from any side of Bristol you can pretty much see from one side to another.

What we do have height wise in Bristol is pretty awful. Castlemead is the tallest I think.

Mind you you can get a good photo from the top of a big building, the derelict froomsgate house has been the best place of late..

frooms.jpg

Isn't the 17-storey Radisson Blu taller than Smary's?

I stayed on the top floor shortly after it was open. Incredible views.

You can get some great views of Bristol from the top of Airpoint on West St.

Every new city I go to I always find the tallest building and go to the top, useful for bearings but also love the views. Did The Shard recently and whilst it's impressive you are so much taller than everything else you might as well be in an aeroplane.

Let's be honest, as a rule, we don't have tall buildings in europe. America is the place to go and I went up some crackers over there. Rockefeller NYC, Transamerica tower Baltimore, Columbia Center Seattle, Hancock Tower Boston. When you go up these buildings you are amongst other scrapers and it's an amazing feeling.

The only proper "high rise" city in europe that has an American feel to it is Rotterdam.

I suppose it would be down to what you are used to in the area in which you live. In my sector of work, you get asked by people occasionally if they can claim against / take to court developers who build in between their property and the sea view that they used to have because it reduces sale values etc.

I hope the answer you give them is "no chance"! Should be no "right" to a view.

Favourite buildings I could write a very long list but the City of Arts and Science in Valencia is impressive contemporary architecture.

3464599775_0cb4d989d9.jpg

Archived