IGNORED

Vintage Ashton Gate

Lack of Action Man

With all the hustle and bustle of the new south stand construction, I thought it might be pretty interesting to see if anyone out there has any vintage pictures of Ashton Gate - i.e. Before any of the current stands were erected - or at least in their current condition (Williams was rebuilt and altered after being partly bombed in the war if I remember correctly?)

I'll kick us off with this image of the Dolman's predecessor - not my image but something I came across whilst trawling the net!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/2056099229/in/photostream/

With all the hustle and bustle of the new south stand construction, I thought it might be pretty interesting to see if anyone out there has any vintage pictures of Ashton Gate - i.e. Before any of the current stands were erected - or at least in their current condition (Williams was rebuilt and altered after being partly bombed in the war if I remember correctly?)

I'll kick us off with this image of the Dolman's predecessor - not my image but something I came across whilst trawling the net!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/2056099229/in/photostream/

That ain't no DESSO pitch,that's for sure.

Paul Townsends stuff on Flickr is generally the best collection of Bristol photos old & new you'll find (along with a chap called Fray Bentos on there)

He's got an album called Football which probably has a lot more - https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/sets/72157616042491902/

Cracking one of 1911:.

2018693129_1002b6ccdb_z.jpg1911 Ashton Gate, Empire Day by brizzle born and bred, on Flickr

Paul Townsends stuff on Flickr is generally the best collection of Bristol photos old & new you'll find (along with a chap called Fray Bentos on there)

He's got an album called Football which probably has a lot more - https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/sets/72157616042491902/

2018693129_1002b6ccdb_z.jpg1911 Ashton Gate, Empire Day by brizzle born and bred, on Flickr

Interesting to see David Moyes training with ( or in charge of?) local club Brunel Glazing amongst those photos.

I used to play against them regularly in the 80's, didn't realise Moysie was involved.

Some wonderful memories among these pictures but one very poignant one of City and Rovers wearing black armbands and observing a silence before a league derby at Eastville in memory of Bristol Rovers full back, Harry Bamford who had been killed in a traffic collision a few days earlier.

The year before, I and a group of other teenagers had coaching run by the Eagle comic from Harry. A very kind but firm coach and a sad loss to Bristol football.

s that one of SO's new fangled formations?

2hmzf9x.jpg

Not as vintage as some pics, but a good shot of AG. Some on here won't remember the old floodlights etc...

Following on from Aizoon's reminiscence above this open bit of the East End is just about exactly where I stood for at least 10 years.

Well remember watching the 2nd Division days from there and charging down that bit of terrace to clambour on the pitch after the Portsmouth promotion match, the First Div. seasons, and still standing there celebrating City score 4 v Wimbledon in the 4th not that many years later.

( I DID go home for short periods now and again inbetween. :blink:  ;))

The Dolman before it was the Dolman.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMG-3.jpg

Prety sure all these photos are from ' Ashton Gate. One hundred years in pictures.' published in 2004.

Lots of other photos of the changing face of AG over the decades, as well as pics. of fans through the ages, history of the club etc.

Definitely recommend it, though of course it will be due for some fairly drastic updating in the not too distant future.

6850650-large.jpg

Good shot taken 1939 showing the old No 1 stand before it was bombed - I think it was not till 1953 (?) that it's

replacement was built.

The album referred to above by Tom shows a pic of this stand after it was bombed

The old No 1 stand has definite resemblance to the Williams Stand, no clock in the corner though.

The comment that some will not remember the floodlights makes fill old. The pictures is how the ground looked when I first attend the ground!

There wasn't any structural change between 1971 (the Dolman) and 1995 (the Atyeo), shortly followed by the seats at the front of the Dolman.

There were the RED seats put into the East End and the front of the Williams in or around 1991 so the visual appearence must have changed.

The picture is how AG would have been on my first visit, too.

Always remember a highlight of my childhood day was being in close enough proximity to AG to be able to see those floodlights.

There's a scandal there, re Des Kew. Also, think we bought/sold them to/from Wigan/Hearts. Bit sketchy on detail, as you can see.

The old No 1 stand has definite resemblance to the Williams Stand, no clock in the corner though.

There wasn't any structural change between 1971 (the Dolman) and 1995 (the Atyeo), shortly followed by the seats at the front of the Dolman.

There were the RED seats put into the East End and the front of the Williams in or around 1991 so the visual appearence must have changed.

The picture is how AG would have been on my first visit, too.

Always remember a highlight of my childhood day was being in close enough proximity to AG to be able to see those floodlights.

There's a scandal there, re Des Kew. Also, think we bought/sold them to/from Wigan/Hearts. Bit sketchy on detail, as you can see.

Gave them to Wigan i believe.

The dazzling sight of the floodlights standing out like mighty beacons in the night sky as you made your way to an evening match certainly added to the anticipation and quickened the pace.

Les Kew. (Des Williams)

I loved those floodlights. I had a great picture of one of them and also some photos from around 1990/91 season before the seats went in the EE.

I took a few on the last game of that season from the enclosure. I did have them scanned into an old PC but they have disappeared somewhere. I will see if I can find them scan them in again.

Archived