IGNORED

City V Rovers

sglosbcfc

http://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Tottenham%20Hotspur

Looking at the website and looking at Bristol derbies I was amazed to see the 1980s as Rovers best period for derby success. I used to hate going to school in Rovers territory during the 80s when they had so much derby success, especially the many undeserved victories. However, I thought the fifties was the Gas' real glory decade but they only beat us four times in those ten years.

[url=http://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Tottenham%20Hotspur]http://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Tottenham%20Hotspur[/url

Looking at the website and looking at Bristol derbies I was amazed to see the 1980s as Rovers best period for derby success. I used to hate going to school in Rovers territory during the 80s when they had so much derby success, especially the many undeserved victories. However, I thought the fifties was the Gas' real glory decade but they only beat us four times in those ten years.

But and whisper it quietly, from 1949, the year before I started following City, until 1962, the unmentionables from Eastville, finished every season higher up the league than City.

http://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Tottenham%20Hotspur

Especially that game when Gary Smart scored !

Was it Tim Carter in goal that day for them ?

They had been battered for 87 mins, with Carter playing the game of his life, and somehow keeping the game at 0-0.

Smart then hits one from the edge of the box that flies into the top corner, with pretty much their only attempt on goal. Don't think he ever scored again ?

Pure misery, it is still etched into my memory, even now  :crying:

But and whisper it quietly, from 1949, the year before I started following City, until 1962, the unmentionables from Eastville, finished every season higher up the league than City.

My dad always said that all they needed to complete this side was a creative midfield player and that if they hadn't pursued their no buy, no sell policy they would have made the 1st division. Thank God their boards have always been incompetent eh?

They had been battered for 87 mins, with Carter playing the game of his life, and somehow keeping the game at 0-0.

Smart then hits one from the edge of the box that flies into the top corner, with pretty much their only attempt on goal. Don't think he ever scored again ?

The late Tim Carter was unbeatable that day. Credit though what a goal to win a derby one of the best I have seen. Painful day though.

The late Tim Carter was unbeatable that day. Credit though what a goal to win a derby one of the best I have seen. Painful day though.

Carter even went off with a head injury for about 20 mins , Dave Mehew went in goal... how we won that won was unexplainable... i was at the front of the open end but on the city side as a kid  (my old man stood with his City fan friends, we both jumped for joy and proberbly only escaped a beating due to the shock , the early years of my life supporting the gas were amazing for derbys 80's to early 90's.... ahh the memories!! at least ive got the memories!

I remember clearly a City fan phoning up 20man on Radio Bristol 14 years ago ,after Rovers as been relegated to the basement claiming that there wouldn't be another league meeting between the clubs for 20 years. Twentyman mocked him! I can't see us playing the gas in a league match in the next six years.

Its seems the longer they remain in divisions below us and now a completely different league the more deluded they become and the prone to rewrite history. I think its due to the fact they are now so far away from us they are disconnected from reality .

If my memory serves me right, that was probably their only shot on target.

We wuz robbed!

The first derby game I can remember going to was a Glouc's cup game at Eastville. !972/3 2-2 and we won on pens (can't say that very often since) as a 12 year old ran on the pitch and quickly ran off it when the big boys did the same.

First proper derby was also at Eastville and a very enjoyable 4-1 win. I used to love that open end. Was in there for the 2-1 cup win in the div 4 days. I think I'm right in saying it held about 6,000 and it felt like we filled it every time. 

Other games were usually fun , padlocks being replaced, loads of forged tickets going around etc. Never the same when they squatted in Bath and after the 3-0 I said I'd never give them money again. I used to enjoy the derbies in the olden days, now ? I'd be happy never to play them again.

For those who (like me ) tick off grounds, I have been to the Rugby ground. Fittingly enough for rugby , and if you don't count that I seem to remember be there and in the bar when an old gas mate treated me, I did wear a City shirt under my coat so I would have some barrier.  ;)

Eh? I don't get it - didn't we finish champions in 1955? (or have I been caught here hook, line and sinker?)

Archived