IGNORED

Lest We Forget

Tall King Blox

I normally parade at Burnham on Sea as being ex RAF and this year lost my old RN mate, Artie, so will watch on the telly. Unashamedly I will have a little cry as the old boys go past the Cenotaph. It makes us human but it makes us proud of those who made the ultimate sacrifice and also to those who survived to tell us. 'When you go home, tell them of us and say - for your tomorrow, we gave our today' :englandflag:

made the trip to the Tower especially today to see the Poppies, takes your breath away what over 888,000 of them looks like!

I was humbled, honoured and privileged to have visited the Tower of London 3 times. Once in August and twice in half term recently. What a sight, it's almost too much to take in and certainly too much to comprehend that one poppy is one lost life. We will never be able to repay those brave people who give up their lives for their country, back then or now. They are far, far better people than I could ever hope to be.

I was humbled, honoured and privileged to have visited the Tower of London 3 times. Once in August and twice in half term recently. What a sight, it's almost too much to take in and certainly too much to comprehend that one poppy is one lost life. We will never be able to repay those brave people who give up their lives for their country, back then or now. They are far, far better people than I could ever hope to be.

Ran out of likes for today......so have a live like and retro hug.......bless xxx

My paternal grandfather was an Aussie Anzac and fought in Galipoli and also Mons in WW1, him and his brother were too young to legally join up and lied about their age so as to join, wounded twice and sent back to Portsmouth before being sent back to the front both times, he lived with us for quite sometime and had a large piece of shrapnel in his right shoulder, that needed constant treatment and he suffered horrific nightmares. He was a huge man 6' 3" and was battalion bare knuckle heavyweight boxing champion 2 years running a feat i'm led to believe that at the time was unequalled. I obtained his military service records from the Australian government.

My maternal grand father was in the RAF stationed in North Africa for over 4 years of WW2, after he was sent to North Africa, my mother never saw him again until the war was over, she was very young when he left and he returned a complete stranger.

My wife's dad served in the army in North Africa in WW2.

All young men who never hesitated to join up and serve and all returned changed forever and even as some of the lies were exposed at the end of both wars, all said "I would not hesitate to do the same tomorrow if called on".

RIP lest we forget.

My grandad joined up in 1914, aged 17. He was at the Boar`s Head diversionary battle, just before the Somme. His battalion of the Royal Sussex were pretty much wiped out (Lowther`s Lambs). Also was at 3rd Ypres and Vittorio Venetto in Italy.

He was mustard gassed and suffered for the rest of his life, which included 26 years as a copper. He died just after I was born, from lung cancer. Liquid mustard is a known carcinogen....could the Great War have finally got him?

Mind you, he did smoke too.

Probably like many of my age group, both my grand fathers did their bit in WW2, one in the tank regiment in North Africa, the other working in the merchant navy. Would be lying if I said I knew the details of their experiences, not something we ever really talked about growing up, and both have now passed on.

Didn't stop the Celtic fans disrupting the minute's silence again today.

Bumped into a few of them singing anti-British songs in a bar in Spain a few yerars ago, young guys.

I asked them about what they were singing and they admitted that they just learnt the sings from going to Celtic games and didn't really know what it was all about.

Well that's alright then.

Ignorant hatred, the worst kind.

Why can't they stay silent for just one minute once a year. Celtic players died in the World Wars - don't they at least realise that??

made the trip to the Tower especially today to see the Poppies, takes your breath away what over 888,000 of them looks like!

Went earlier in the year , the amount of poppies really brings it home and we bought one as soon as we got back.

There's a clip of the last post from the tower on FB , very moving.

As I have done for the past few years was in the Centre for the parade and minutes silence , nice to see so many out today.

Thanks to all of you for the replies, nobody said it was easy, good night and god bless xxx

Instead of my virtual hug can you arrange them to be at Glasto next year please, ta muchly.

Oh and I was gutted to have missed out on buying a ceramic poppy, amazed and delighted they are all sold though.

Archived