IGNORED

Scottish Striker In Top Goal-Scoring From

fka dagest

I was joking about DC of course, but his partner Greg Stewart is worth watching. I saw him play for Cowdenbeath a couple of seasons ago and he did have some class about him.  

Anyway, I always thought Clarkson was more unlucky than bad.  And he helped take the Blue few down.

I was joking about DC of course, but his partner Greg Stewart is worth watching. I saw him play for Cowdenbeath a couple of seasons ago and he did have some class about him.  

Anyway, I always thought Clarkson was more unlucky than bad.  And he helped take the Blue few down.

He wasn't terrible, but in the same breath I couldn't tell you what he was good at.

He was dogcrap. Domestic football in Scotland is in turmoil and is dogcrap.

Personally I wouldn't bother considering anyone up there. Reason being the competition is genuinely that poor that it's hard to properly assess how someone may transition and whether they could make the step/move.

It's almost like X is tearing up league of Wales let's take a look...

It's one thing to gamble on someone relatively cheap from a poor league, quite another to gamble from a poor league which still commands a premium for it's players.

Until the fees are low enough scouting Scotland is a waste of time imo

He was dogcrap. Domestic football in Scotland is in turmoil and is dogcrap.

Personally I wouldn't bother considering anyone up there. Reason being the competition is genuinely that poor that it's hard to properly assess how someone may transition and whether they could make the step/move.

It's almost like X is tearing up league of Wales let's take a look...

It's one thing to gamble on someone relatively cheap from a poor league, quite another to gamble from a poor league which still commands a premium for it's players.

Until the fees are low enough scouting Scotland is a waste of time imo

You can use a Bristol related example of how poor that league is.

Take Gary Warren, never played above conference level in England and his contract actually expired at Newport yet was signed by a Scottish Prem team, Inverness. Inverness currently sit joint top of the SPL, THAT is how bad that league is.

The standard of the league is obviously pretty poor compared to others, but to say 'I wouldn't consider anyone up there' is foolish and naive in the extreme.

There is a decent sprinkling of players in England signed relatively cheaply from Scotland that would enhance our squad. We've made some poor signings from the SPL but I hope our scouts are alert next time a Robert Snodgrass, Ross McCormack, Craig Bryson, James McCarthy, James McCarthur, Andy Robertson or Graham Dorrans begins to break through.

Take Gary Warren, never played above conference level in England and his contract actually expired at Newport yet was signed by a Scottish Prem team, Inverness. Inverness currently sit joint top of the SPL, THAT is how bad that league is.

Not sure that is correct. Gary Warren turned down a contract offer at Newport having had a successful time with them as captain and where he had been subject to bids from Cheltenham. He chose to go to Inverness and has enjoyed a few very successful years there.

Your making out Newport did not want to keep him which is just plainly wrong as they did want to keep their captain.

He could easily play at our level (not saying city but certainly he's better than some in this division) - Newport turned down 2 bids from Cheltenham for him in the past.

Yes and some of the team I believe are part timers.  Didn't Twentyman call a player or their manager on talk back last Saturday?

I lived up there for a while a few years back. The SPL standard is probably mid Championship but the difference between SPL and fourth tier is nowhere near as big as from top of English Premier to bottom of League Two.

The big difference for young developing players is that they make the first team much earlier than their English counterparts. Many teams up there in their Championship / One / Two consist of a mix of teenagers and old heads. They tougher up quickly or fall by the wayside. So by the time they are 20 they have played a couple of seasons more at league level than those in England.

Hence they are less of a gamble in England than our Academy boys.

Archived