IGNORED

Rememberence Day/school Photo. What Do You Think?

bristolborn_and_red

So today was rememeberence day and also the day my nine year old son was having his school photo. The mrs thought it would be a nice touch to have a poppy pinned to his school jumper. When it came to the photo to be taken, he was to told to take if off with no reason being given. He obviously done has he been told. Now this has me fuming for obvious reasons. What is the agenda here? I may take this to the school governers or am I over reacting? What do you think?

OK - I can see what you're thinking, but I suspect that your lad was asked to take off the poppy so the photo would be uniform. It looks a bit wrong if only 1 kid wearing a poppy and the photo is for the whole year not just November.

It is worth you asking the question, but the chances are that it was the photographer who made the decision about what went in to the photo - after all it's him that makes the money from selling it to the parents.

OK - I can see what you're thinking, but I suspect that your lad was asked to take off the poppy so the photo would be uniform. It looks a bit wrong if only 1 kid wearing a poppy and the photo is for the whole year not just November.

It is worth you asking the question, but the chances are that it was the photographer who made the decision about what went in to the photo - after all it's him that makes the money from selling it to the parents.

So are you saying that you think parents would object and would not buy the photo's? This uniform thing you speak of, where do you stop? The girls don't have earrings, none of the boys can have long hair? Where do you draw the line? Lets not forget today was rememberence day and the poppy is the symbol of our soldiers ultimate sacrifice.

So are you saying that you think parents would object and would not buy the photo's? This uniform thing you speak of, where do you stop? The girls don't have earrings, none of the boys can have long hair? Where do you draw the line? Lets not forget today was rememberence day and the poppy is the symbol of our soldiers ultimate sacrifice.

I'm not sure if I misread this, but it seems like you are having a go at me. Was that what you meant to do?

Can I try to to clarify what I meant to say? If you want to ask the question at school, it is worth doing, but try to listen tothe response before making up your mind about what happened.

I'm not sure if I misread this, but it seems like you are having a go at me. Was that what you meant to do?

Can I try to to clarify what I meant to say? If you want to ask the question at school, it is worth doing, but try to listen tothe response before making up your mind about what happened.

Sorry, not having a go mate. I just feel bloody angry that anyone would do that on Armistice day. I sense some political correctness going on here and I aint going to let it lie. I told some ex squaddies about yesterday's event and they were gobsmacked. I think this is for the school governers to act on (or not).

It's a photo for the whole year so I can understand why they wanted the kids all the same just in their uniform with no adornments.

The fact that it was taken on 11th November is a coincidence and nothing more.

It would be a different issue if they wanted the poppy removed for the normal school day, but I can see the reasoning behind not having it on for the photo.

There is no agenda.

It's a photo for the whole year so I can understand why they wanted the kids all the same just in their uniform with no adornments.

It would be a different issue if they wanted the poppy removed for the normal school day, but I can see the reasoning behind not having it on for the photo.

There is no agenda.

I agree with this.

• Admin

There is no agenda.

Was just going to ask the same question.

Was it a photo in connection with the remembrance day or for one to be used all year ?

If all year certainly makes sense, but if it was recognition of the day than yeah that is wrong

In my day as a junior school kid, you could wear football shirts or anything. One kid had a discreet middle finger up one year and one in another had his tongue poking right out.

Not condoning that exactly but to not be allowed to wear what is a very poignant and respectful symbol seems like a complete load of bollocks to me.

A strongly worded letter, kept within the realms of human decency, would be finding its way to the school.

No doubt, the religious head dress of any of the girls would not have been removed for the sake of uniformity.

There is no agenda.

Uniformity? it's a school not the ******* army, whatever happened to individuality?.

Sounds like white middle class PC brigade teachers, let's do this just in case it offends somebody somewhere in the universe, perhaps even some Celtic supporters, who knows, personally I say make your feelings known and ask for a feasible explanation.

I think you are making assumptions without any facts.

It is the photographers who organise the pictures, not the teachers.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/pupils-calderside-academy-shocked-after-2664083

http://www.essexcountystandard.co.uk/news/11600152.Pupil_poppy_photos_mix_up_sparks_anger/

http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Children-told-poppy-school-photo/story-20034411-detail/story.html

I haven't made an assumption just stated an opinion, in the same way as your 2nd sentence has. You don't know the photographer told him to remove his poppy.

I haven't made an assumption just stated an opinion, in the same way as your 2nd sentence has. You don't know the photographer told him to remove his poppy.

You are right, I don't know that it was the photographer asked the child to take off the poppy. However, if you'd like to look at the 3 previous instances that I put up, in each case it was the photographers and not the teacher who asked the kids to take off their poppies.

You are right, I don't know that it was the photographer asked the child to take off the poppy. However, if you'd like to look at the 3 previous instances that I put up, in each case it was the photographers and not the teacher who asked the kids to take off their poppies.

Well I suppose that begs the long asked question, who actually runs the school? in my day it was the headmaster/mistress, not a photographer.

Well I suppose that begs the long asked question, who actually runs the school? in my day it was the headmaster/mistress, not a photographer.

Really?

Ok - I'll explain how school photo's work, on the basis that you really don't know, and are not just trying to start an argument.

Many parents like to have an official photo of their child at school. Schools invite a company to come in and take these photos. The photography company then sell the photos to parents in order to make money. The headteacher, and other staff at the school, have little or no input in the photos.

The headteacher obviously has final say in what goes on in the school, but generally they don't micro-manage things like this. They are too busy dealing with the education of pupils.

If this reply seems arsey and condescending, I apologise. I suspect that you are just looking for a reason to start an argument. My position is, and has been, that the OP should ask about this at school, but be prepared to listen to the answer given before going off the deep end.

Really?

Ok - I'll explain how school photo's work, on the basis that you really don't know, and are not just trying to start an argument.

Many parents like to have an official photo of their child at school. Schools invite a company to come in and take these photos. The photography company then sell the photos to parents in order to make money. The headteacher, and other staff at the school, have little or no input in the photos.

The headteacher obviously has final say in what goes on in the school, but generally they don't micro-manage things like this. They are too busy dealing with the education of pupils.

If this reply seems arsey and condescending, I apologise. I suspect that you are just looking for a reason to start an argument. My position is, and has been, that the OP should ask about this at school, but be prepared to listen to the answer given before going off the deep end.

Not looking to start anything mate, I have 2 children, who between them have 5 children and I cannot believe in my wildest dreams that the sight of a kid wearing a poppy in a school photo would stop them or me from buying the photograph.

My thoughts for what they are worth: Did the school sell poppies around this time, did they actively encourage children to wear them, did they do special assemblies dedicated to rememberance etc? If so them I would not have expected children to remove them for a school photo.

If it was just one child with one poppy for the photo, well even then if it had been my child I would not have been happy either. But depending on the child's age and understanding it might have been an option to ask if they would remove it for the 'uniformanity' the photographer was trying to get. There is nothing wrong with poppies, but they can instantly make photos look 'dated', just the same as photos near Xmas will have girls (and boys) with tinsel in their hair perhaps.

I think the key thing is the schools stance on poppies and the fact they arranged the photographer to attend on this date.

Archived