IGNORED

Vaping

Nogbad the Bad

Thanks to the recommendation of another OTIB er ( much obliged, Sir Colby) I've now been vaping - with no fags - for over 6 months.

Any other vapers on here, and what liquids and accessories do you use/recommend?

I get everything from here:

http://www.ecigwizard.com/

As an aside (hopefully won't steer the thread too much) one heavy smoker I know who keeps giving up (for a month or three as long as I've known her) won't go for vaping despite its success rate as she regards it as swapping one addiction for another.

Do you see it in this way or do you intend to stay on vaping indefinitely because it is significantly less bad for you than smoking?

I'm fine with people smoking btw and have the odd fag myself, but so many smokers do want to give up and have vastly different ways of trying to do it.

As an aside (hopefully won't steer the thread too much) one heavy smoker I know who keeps giving up (for a month or three as long as I've known her) won't go for vaping despite its success rate as she regards it as swapping one addiction for another.

Do you see it in this way or do you intend to stay on vaping indefinitely because it is significantly less bad for you than smoking?

I'm fine with people smoking btw and have the odd fag myself, but so many smokers do want to give up and have vastly different ways of trying to do it.

After 6 months I think I can say I no longer consider myself a smoker. I've swapped smoking cigarettes for vaping and I'm content to keep doing that.

I accept I'm continuing an addiction to nicotine but that addiction in itself isn't a problem to me at all. With vaping you can decrease the nicotine content of the liquids as you wish to, or even choose to have none at all.

Previous to trying vaping I'd never been able to stop smoking for more than 6 weeks, so I see it as a huge positive that I no longer smoke but have the arsenal at hand to ensure I don't miss it.

Your friend should definitely try it - she'll save alot of money, generally feel alot better, and - if she gives it a good try - probably end up enjoying it as much as cigarettes.

Thnaks, I will point out to her that option to steadily decrease the nicotine content.

When I was breifly a proper smoker and foolishly smoked enough to get addicted I took myself off them by switching to Silk Cut and then over several weeks going for the paler and paler versions until getting to white which was like smoking fresh air; after a few packs of those I stopped properly.

After 40 years of 20+ a day, decided, with the help of the local nurse, to give up.

Set a plan of reducing 1 a day, with each fag spaced out between 8 am and midnight. Started approx every 40 mins then reduced to a point of 3 a day. After a month, patches for two weeks then stop. Tried the electronic fag down the pub a few times but didn't really take to it.

14 months on i don't even notice it when friends pop out of the pub for a fag on Sat nights.

I got a vaping kit at the beginning of August this year. I has a smoking habit that even the Vapemeister found a bit challenging in that I never smoked unless I was having an alcoholic drink, which was about 5 nights a week but a higher amount on a Friday and Saturday night when I drink more. So I would be having about 5 fags  per night Tuesday/Weds/Thurs/ increasing to about 12 per night Friday and Saturday. He couldn't quite get his head around me going for a couple of whole days (non-alchol days Sunday and Monday) without a fag, and yet wanting a proper nicotine "hit" when I did smoke.

Anyway he recommended a nicotine level of 12, which wasn't high enough, so increased to 18, which I found to be hitting the spot. 

The whole vape thing has worked out brilliantly.  For the first few weeks I would still have the occasional fag, which at first was needed, but as I vaped more and more became maybe one per night, almost as homage to my "tobacco" days.  By around mid September I was able to go without any fags at all.  The most difficult thing to begin with was changing from the habit of lighting up a fag and having that little 6/8 minute window (I smoked the extra long ones!) where you smoke your fag as a little "do not disturb me time", to having the vaping machine on all night and just taking a drag when you want.  Vaping is also more fiddly with making sure the battery is OK and mixing the nicotine capsules, but once you get through that, just to know you are not consuming the crap that you get with fags and have given up smoking is a great reward. 

I have not done this to try and give up nicotine, although that may happen in due course, but to get away from the known dangers of cigarettes.  The other positive things are that it is about 90+% cheaper and you can vape in a lot of places where fags are banned.

Happy days :yes: !

Goliquid.co.uk

All great products, cheap and reliable delivery. Payable via PayPal.

I'm a self proclaimed 'hybrid'. Both ciggys and vaping.

Vaping has at least helped and is (so say) a better habit.

I'm a hybrid too, then.

It's interesting that I go whole days without real tobacco, just vape and gum. I also go whole days with just baccy and sometimes I'm mixed.

I essentially do what I want, addicts are notoriously stubborn bastards.

Am under no illusion that vaping/gum is dealing with the addiction but until I actually want to quit properly, there is absolutely no point in me trying.

Vapists - are there any side effects from vaping?

None that I have noticed.

The jury is still out re their safety, though and the NHS have not endorsed them - but I'm guessing you know that.

I have heard a rumour that instead of tar, people can develop a 'water build up' on the lungs, whatever the consequences of that is.

Also, there seems something rather risky about tooting on a battery charged device to me, so am half expecting us all to develop some sort of fried brain syndrome over the next couple of decades.

Don't make you smell, yellow your teeth an are cheaper. 

I find them less measurable than tobacco though as I chew gum and casually toot all day on the thing so am probably taking in more nicotine than I would be smoking, where I only smoke at specific break times, lunch etc.  The tobacco companies endorse them as they keep people hooked, they may even hold a stake of the shares in some of the companies (I have been told) - but you'd need to check that out.  

No headaches, insomnia or any other classic side effects for me, though.

Vapists - are there any side effects from vaping?

I can't say I feel particularly healthier, but I wouldn't say that smoking fags made me feel bad, other than the perception that the toxic fumes were not good and, yes on a heavy smoking night you might feel a bit of a wheezy breath thing.  Vaping has no smell, which is a big plus.

As WTFiGO!?! says, it is difficult to measure the consumption of vaping and I feel that I am taking on marginally more nicotine than with fags, but I really don't know.  I guess there could be a problem with just adding vaping as an option in places where smoking is banned, so you might carrying on smoking fags as before but taking vapes  in pubs, work, or Ashton Gate where you would otherwise not have anything at all.  

I suppose the thing no-one knows is, there seems to be an assumption that vaping is less dangerous smoking, but is the consumption of nicotine in this way bad for you? - or is it just decreasing the risk?

I can't say I feel particularly healthier, but I wouldn't say that smoking fags made me feel bad, other than the perception that the toxic fumes were not good and, yes on a heavy smoking night you might feel a bit of a wheezy breath thing.  Vaping has no smell, which is a big plus.

As WTFiGO!?! says, it is difficult to measure the consumption of vaping and I feel that I am taking on marginally more nicotine than with fags, but I really don't know.  I guess there could be a problem with just adding vaping as an option in places where smoking is banned, so you might carrying on smoking fags as before but taking vapes  in pubs, work, or Ashton Gate where you would otherwise not have anything at all.  

I suppose the thing no-one knows is, there seems to be an assumption that vaping is less dangerous smoking, but is the consumption of nicotine in this way bad for you? - or is it just decreasing the risk?

Nicotine is a natural substance found in plant life and in itself is not harmful in the doses found in e.cigarettes. The nicotine used in e.cigs. doesn't even come from the tobacco plant.

There is no tobacco in e.cigs., no combustion or smoke, and none of the carcinogens present in cigarette smoke. So there is no comparison to be had at all in the health risk.

Vaping isn't 'smoking' at all, the vapour is produced by the Propylene glycol, which is found everywhere in every day foods.

The health problems associated with traditional smoking are caused by inhaling the harmful elements in tobacco smoke.

These are eliminated when you switch to vaping. 

Nicotine is a natural substance found in plant life and in itself is not harmful in the doses found in e.cigarettes. The nicotine used in e.cigs. doesn't even come from the tobacco plant.

There is no tobacco in e.cigs., no combustion or smoke, and none of the carcinogens present in cigarette smoke. So there is no comparison to be had at all in the health risk.

Vaping isn't 'smoking' at all, the vapour is produced by the Propylene glycol, which is found everywhere in every day foods.

The health problems associated with traditional smoking are caused by inhaling the harmful elements in tobacco smoke.

That's good to know, begs the question as to why  vaping is not seen as a wonderful alternative to smoking in all quarters, especially by the medical authorities.  I decided I wanted to give up smoking before I was 60 (a couple of years away) but have struggled - partly as I was not a really heavy smoker so the financial incentives were a lot less than for a 20 a day smoker.  It has worked out really well for me, yet it seems that if you go to your GP/health centre, it is unlikely that vaping will be an option that they would recommend!

Sorry Noggers, that's wrong. Nicotine increases blood pressure and heart rate and while not carcinogenic, numerous studies have indicated that it actually encourages the growth of tumours by impeding cellular apoptosis. That's before we consider uncertainty in relative absorbtion rates of nicotine between vaping an smoking and the potential for acute nicotine poisoning from high dose vaping liquids. Oh, and one of the plants nicotine is found in is so-called Deadly Nightshade

Obviously it's better for you that smoking cigarettes because it removes exposure to the carcinogens found in cigarettes, but it's not entirely harmless. Very little is in the world I'm afraid

Archived