IGNORED

Pub For Swindon

Dynamite Red

• Admin

Depends how you are getting there - if coming by train see post above.

Otherwise this may be of use?:

Away fans are treated to their own bar, called Bar 71, which is located by the away turnstiles. However it is quite small and tends to fill up quickly, with door men preventing anyone else going in, so that it does not become over crowded. The County Hotel right by the ground, did not allow entrance to away supporters on my last visit. Best to continue down County Road and seek out the Cricket Club that sits behind the Arkells Stand. As Mark Osborne from Swindon adds; 'On match days home and away fans can park on the cricket ground (for a small fee) and then have access to a drink in the cricket club. This is a very friendly (as well as cheap) club that always welcomes away fans'. I would echo these comments but also add that you can still get into the cricket club (there is no charge) even if you have not parked there. Please note though that the Cricket Club facilities are not available for night matches or when the Cricket Club is playing a match. The latter doesn't happen often but can do towards the beginning and end of the football season, when fixtures overlap.

Audrey MacDonald a visiting Hartlepool United fan, recommends 'The Merlin' on Drove Road, near to the magic roundabout. 'Away fans are welcome and they have Sky Sports showing on 12 television screens and even in the gents (according to my husband)'. Derek Shaw a Wolverhampton Wanderers fan agrees; 'The Merlin pub is friendly and welcoming to away supporters. It's a decent size pub which serves meals and has a number of TV screens installed. On my visit there were a couple of bouncers and two policeman outside but there was no sign of any trouble, either inside or outside. I enjoyed the atmosphere in the Merlin which is less than ten minutes away from the County Ground and would recommend it'.

Alcohol is available within the ground to away fans in the Arkells Stand (but not in the open Stratton Bank End), otherwise if you arrive early Swindon town centre is a 15 minute walk away.

As a resident of Swindon, I would suggest getting yourselves upto Old Town, 5 mins in a taxi from the station and only a 10-15 min downhill walk to the ground.

Old Town has some great pubs such as Longs, Baker Street, Pig on the Hill, The Kings and many more and The best bit is that it doesn't feel as if your in Swindon.

Archived