IGNORED

Any Nikon Users On Here?

screech

Looking at getting a prime lens around the 80 - 105mm range, the Tamron 90mm f2.8vc seems to be getting good reviews, anyone used one and can tell me if it's worth it, or have any alternatives in that range?

I've got a 70-300mm by Sigma for a Pentax and it's the best lens I own. Better than the two Pentax ones anyway

I've got a Sigma 150-500mm. Frankly, the quality of photo is not brilliant as compared to any of my Nikon lenses. I've got the Nikon 70-300mmm which provides a far better image, although obviously at lower magnification. Know a couple of people that have gone for large 600mm Tamron (I think) lenses for their Canon's. They're ok with them although they were recalled by the manufacturer due to some calibration issues.

I think it's a question of having to pay for quality. Anything over 300mm in Nikon is frightening in terms of price.

To conclude, a bit underwhelmed with alternative brands but unless you're mega wealthy and/or a serious snapper make do with a Tamron or Sigma alternative. They're passable.

Ended up with an older nikon af80-200 f2.8. Not the quickest but unbelievably sharp. I would never been able to justify the newer nikon 70-200 f2.8, so this is as close as it gets without spending a fortune. Can you ever be happy with what you have kit wise? There seems to be new camera bodies and upgraded lenses coming out all the time.

Archived